Another one of "The Poormans" Mods

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poormans Boatright

Reaction score
Whats up guys, Its Rod again with another boat mod. Due to the USW strike going on here at Marathon Refinery in Texas City, I had to place ads on the web to generate some work for me at my shop. I have had a few hits, but mostly just price quotes. Anyhow, I got this 18'er to work on, its a nice rig, but it has been beat up. The owner wants me to fix cracked welds and reinforce with more weld in places. He also wants a front casting/bow hunting deck put on with rails. Here's what I've come up with so far.

Attachments

• deck.jpg
    deck.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 1,994
  • deck 2.jpg
    deck 2.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 1,994
  • plasma cut.jpg
    plasma cut.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 1,994
  • template 2.jpg
    template 2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,994
  • template.jpg
    template.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,994
  • frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,994
  • frame work.jpg
    frame work.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,994
Thanks malaki, OK, I got some progress done today on this guys boat, I worked on the front decks rails and I capped the front of the boat with a skin of aluminum plate, the original material was beat up, bent and holes drilled into it, a new layer of plate sure made a difference. The rails are 24" high, he didn't want to go no higher as this is going to be a bow fishing front deck, any higher would get in the way of their bows, I guess, I don't bow fish! Anyway here is the updated pics.

Attachments

• winch mount.jpg
    winch mount.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,752
  • view from back of boat.jpg
    view from back of boat.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,752
  • mid bars.jpg
    mid bars.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 1,752
  • front view.jpg
    front view.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,752
  • first bends 2.jpg
    first bends 2.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 1,752
  • first 2 bends.jpg
    first 2 bends.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 1,752
  • bender 3.jpg
    bender 3.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,752
  • bender 2.jpg
    bender 2.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 1,752
  • bender.jpg
    bender.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,752
  • capped end.jpg
    capped end.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,752
Looks great man, or WICKED AWESOME as only a guy from Bahstin (Boston) can say it ...

And good luck to you for surviving the strike ... been there ... done that ...

Thanx DaleH, For the compliment, hows the weather over there in Boston?

I got a good start on the boat today, then the owners came over and started to quarrel amongst themselves what they wanted to do next. They were happy with the work
I've done so far, but as they were arguing I just sat back n listened, then I started drinkin' beer and lost a few hours of fab time. So overall I didn't get a whole lot done but
thats what happens when you start drinkin' beers. Here's today's progress.

Attachments

• templete for end cap.jpg
    templete for end cap.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 1,704
  • view of completed rails.jpg
    view of completed rails.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 1,704
  • rails complete.jpg
    rails complete.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 1,704
  • beat up front.jpg
    beat up front.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,704
Very nice work indeed. It's always fun to watch other people argue ain't.

TNtroller, yes it is fun to sit back n watch, p.s. thanx for the compliment.
I got back to work on the boat today, I transferred the decks end cap pattern onto the aluminum plate and got that cut out. I then welded the end cap on then the entire deck. It was a nice tight fit along the edges of the hull, made for a nice finished piece. With a little time to spare I started to tig weld the miter welds on the rails, I didn't get finished welding though, will continue tomorrow. Stay tuned, rear deck area is next.

Attachments

• another view of deck.jpg
    another view of deck.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 1,587
  • completed deck.jpg
    completed deck.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 1,587
  • end cap welded.jpg
    end cap welded.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 1,587
  • angle brace.jpg
    angle brace.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,587
  • end cap fit.jpg
    end cap fit.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,587
  • deck end cap.jpg
    deck end cap.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,587
Rainy here in Texas City, hard to get much done. I went to the shop today to work on the boat and try to start on the rear transom area. First off it was full of muck which I had to clean out. My plan is to put a floor in for the gas tank and batteries to rest on, then cover that with a deck. I didn't want to cover the boat floor with out inspecting its integrity and sealing it with some paint or some form of protection. After cleaning/washing out all of the muck, I found the hull to be in real good condition. I only had to weld the rib where the transom support meets as it was cracked. After cleaning,sanding and wire brushing the floor area was ready for a coat of primer which was as far as I got to today. It will be ready for a topcoat then I can begin to cover it up. Also in the last pic check out this 22', 1/4" thick monster that came in for work.

Attachments

• big rig.jpg
    big rig.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,562
  • cleaned transom.jpg
    cleaned transom.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,562
  • whole rig.jpg
    whole rig.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,562
  • dirty back area.jpg
    dirty back area.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,562
OK, I got started on the rear floor area for the batteries and gas tank. The floor is in and the top bracing is off to a good start. Here's updated pics.

Attachments

• flounder rig.jpg
    flounder rig.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1,473
  • gas tank.jpg
    gas tank.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,473
  • more braces.jpg
    more braces.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 1,473
  • angle braces.jpg
    angle braces.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,473
  • access to plugs.jpg
    access to plugs.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,473
  • welded in.jpg
    welded in.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,473
  • another view of floor.jpg
    another view of floor.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,473
  • trial fit.jpg
    trial fit.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,473
  • cut floor.jpg
    cut floor.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,473
  • laid out cuts.jpg
    laid out cuts.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,473
I completed the work these guys wanted, I cant tell you how many hours I had in this build. I went the extra mile to do an exceptional job for these guys as I know, and work with one of them. Lord and behold when it came time for my fee, they balked, geez talk about taking the wind out of you sail, I did this job way way cheap as it was, but to have em question my fee, really shows how people are. He was even saying I was too high without even seeing the final product. Had no idea what all was done. Anyway here's my finished work. They are going to have to find someone else to do their work from now on.

Attachments

• gas tank lid.jpg
    gas tank lid.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1,309
  • finished back  deck.jpg
    finished back deck.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 1,309
  • another view handrails.jpg
    another view handrails.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 1,309
  • hand rails.jpg
    hand rails.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 1,309
  • snug tank.jpg
    snug tank.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,309
  • brace 2.jpg
    brace 2.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 1,309
  • braced lid.jpg
    braced lid.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,309
  • coming along.jpg
    coming along.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 1,309
  • one side fitted.jpg
    one side fitted.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,309
Dude, that is amazing work and yes, people are screwed up. No one realizes how much goes into doing projects like this until they have actually done the work themselves.

It's sad how many people don't have respect for things done by hand and the amount of time and skill involved. They see all the shoddy cheap crap from overseas and think everything should be that cheap.

There's a guy around me that has about 100 boats in a few acre lot, I asked if any were for sale because of the few good looking tins I've seen sitting there for years and it turns out that all of the boats on the yard are boats that he worked on that were never paid in full. I say you keep that good looking work you have until they come up with the money!

If I can get a pic I'll post it up, it's seriously amazing. I've driven through it a few times and looked at some nice antique tins on It

In Eastern TN, near Crossville, there is a boat dealer who also has 50 or 75 tinnys in his yard. When I asked the yard guys what was going on....they told me that many of them were brand new, but had never been sold. Strange, but true. richg99

derek, yea see if ya can get some pics of that yard, that is amazing.

Rich, how ya been? ya think some of those tins can still be had?

Gators, thanx for the compliment.

Latest posts