Sea Nymph row boat to Crappie Killer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake11

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I picked up a sea nymph 14k a month or two ago and have been fishing out of it pretty often. I decided the last time I was out to put some decks in it. Its not a huge boat and not quite as stable as the old flat bottom I had before so I'm just going to pretty much make the bottom between the benches flat which will only raise it about 3.5 inches. I am also trying to keep them removable for easy cleaning etc... I have already built the two decks for between the rear to middle and middle to front seats but after a quick fit and weight test I think I'll need to add a bit more support. It holds but just doesn't feel as solid as I would like. Here is what I have so far....

Here is the deck I built.... Two of them. Think I'm going to add a third stringer going length wise and see how that does. If it still feels a bit weak I guess I'll have to figure out some kind of vertical support for underneath.

I would also like to build a small flat deck it the bow at about the same height as the other two then a raised platform for a bow mount trolling motor but I haven't quite figured out how to get the cut right on the plywood for the curve of the bow.... Will also be decking from the top of the rear bench to the transom. No plans for standing and casting from there just want it to look a little cleaner and have hidden storage for the fuel tank and other stuff back there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I will post updates in the morning.

Here's what I have so far. I'm currently working on a template for the front deck then off to Lowes for the final sheet of plywood for the back storage area.

Well I was able to use some short pieces of 2x4 to make something like table legs for under the two small decks. Added corner braces to all the corners and they are really solid now and still easily removable. I also got started on the front deck. Decided to make it level with the two front seats so I have a bunch of dry storage underneath of it. Don't plan to walk around up there much since I'm getting an anchor buddy to put on the front bench and I plan to bring another deck level with the gunwhales back about 24 to 30 inches for mounting a trolling motor to and a nice little tackle storage between the two decks. I found enough aluminum tubing and sheet today to do that deck so it will add virtually no weight and what I've already built weighs around 60 lbs maybe less (I can stack all 3 and carry them easily).

That should work!
Looks like you did a pretty decent job on the deck and floors, much nicer to be on a flat surface.

Thanks! I'm really hoping it quiets it down a bit. Drop a sinker in this bucket and it sounds like a gun shot. Now I just need to pick up a couple of 6 or 8 inch pedestals for my seats and she'll be ready. Next weekend the trailer gets it.... Sanded, primed and painted. New bunks and lights. Then I'm done for the rest of the season....

So I have these brackets mounted to the front and rear benches. Does anyone know where I could get the seat base part that clips into these or what they would be called so I can look for them? Thanks. I thought about making something but I would need access to a break which I don't have.

So I've decided to change course a bit on my build. I'm going to pull out my middle bench and make it all open up to the front deck. Before everyone freaks and says that I'll lose all structural Integrity.... I've already figured that out. I'm going to run square tube straight across the floor, straight up the sides to the top where it will be welded to the boat then back down to the cross brace to form a sort of triangle for max strength. I will put three of these between the rear bench and front deck. Should honestly be more sturdy than before I remove the bench. What do you think?

Definitely pull the middle bench! I have a 12ft version of that and ALWAYS wish I had the 14. If I got the 14 the first thing I'd do is pull the middle bench and deck the floor lol.

derekdiruz said:
haha, did I just see this on Craigslist near youngstown oh?

Yep I was trying to trade up with the boat and old evinrude I have for a flat bottom that's a bit wider (i really miss my old flat bottom)but not much interest so I'm just going to make it what I want it until I can afford to just buy a new one. I need to pull that ad haha.

derekdiruz said:
Definitely pull the middle bench! I have a 12ft version of that and ALWAYS wish I had the 14. If I got the 14 the first thing I'd do is pull the middle bench and deck the floor lol.
I am definitely going to pull it. With the plan I have for adding strength back to it I think it will be sturdier than before I started. I just wish the hull were a little thicker aluminum. I think I'm going to have to go with rivets because of this instead of welding it to the hull. The structure itself will still be welded though so that's a plus.

Not much progress on the boat this weekend thanks to the lovely weather Ohio provided me with but I did make some headway on the trailer. I took those ugly old side boards off and all the heavy galvanized tube and hardware that was holding it on(she lost about 70lbs just from that) and got rid of the 70s shag carpet covered bunks the po had installed and made some new ones for it. Also got it cleaned up and almost ready for paint. It looks a ton better now. A lot cleaner and I'm pleasantly surprised by the over all condition of the trailer.

I think I'm going to order all the aluminum tubing for this from metalsdepot.com even with delivery its quite a bit cheaper than I can find it locally. Will update again when I get some time off to work on it. 8)

Well, I started take 2 of the sea nymph mod. Here's the "before" picture with her all stripped down.... got the middle bench torn out and a basic outline of the side boxes started. while I was in there working I found my mystery leak.... one of the rivets that attached the bench to the deck had worked it's self loose. Bucked it back and will be adding some 5200 after I get it pressure washed out.

Got the boxes all framed in as much as I'm going to until I figure out which sections are getting foam filled and which are going to be left open and hatches added for small item storage.

This is how it sits now. Plan to grab a couple of sheets of plywood tomorrow and pressure wash the boat out then I'm taking the rest of the day off. Plans for next weekend are 1. cut and treat the ply for the center deck. 2. Cut and fit the FRP sheet on the side boxes. 3. Cut foam board for under the center deck and whatever else I have time/money for.... hope everyone's having a good weekend and I'll post up some more after I get some more work done.

I decided to add a few things to my list of things to do today. I'm going to pick up wire for the trolley, nav lights, CD player and bilge pump today as well. Hopefully by the end of the day I will have figured out how to route the wiring for max efficiency.

Does anyone have any advice for framing in the front "V" with aluminum? Perhaps a link to a build? I've been searching the forum and can't find anything. I was thinking of sticking with 2x4 up there but I have about 35 foot of angle left and this stuff costs too much to waste. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts