'82 Alumacraft 1436

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshua27

Reaction score
I just picked this boat up and the transom is in horrible shape. Totally rotted. Whoever had the boat was a big believer in silicone as well so it's gonna be a nightmare to clean up.

What's the best way to replace the transom on this boat? I've never built a transom before. Also does anyone know what size rivets this boat uses and how do I remove the solid rivets in the boat that will have to come out for transom renewal?

Post of pic of the transom. Hopefully you can get it out w/o removing the end caps.

To remove a solid rivet, get the head off the rivet (hammer and chissel, dremmel, drill, big wire snipper, etc.) and push/pound it out. Most likely a 3/16", I think a #10 fits pretty close.

It looks to me like the transom originally went the full length behind the flotation tanks on the rear of the boat so I will have to remove those to install a proper transom. Somebody did a crappy repair to the transom at some point.

I removed the cover on one side of the boat and the bracket that holds the foam appears to be riveted in with super long rivets which I have no idea how to replace. They could be replaced with bolts maybe?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434065838.964304.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434065882.116837.jpg

Could I use SS bolts with some 5200 on the shank to fix some of the holes I buggered up removing the solid rivets?

joshua27 said:
Could I use SS bolts with some 5200 on the shank to fix some of the holes I buggered up removing the solid rivets?

If not too bad, just drill out to next higher size for a better fit.

Well I screwed two of them up pretty bad. Basically made them look like a number 8. Bad part is they are on the bottom of the hull.

I'm also curious about my transom. Should I use regular untreated plywood and coat it with spar urethane or buy marine grade plywood? Also what should I use to laminate the sheets together? Finally, when I install the new transom should I coat it in 5200 and stick it to the hull before I bolt it in?

Should I replace the foam that was in the rear end of my boat? I know the benches have foam as well. What foam do I use and how would I secure it? What I took out was a big block of white foam sitting on top of a block of green foam that was saturated with water.

I like the look of the boat with the metal foam covers in place as opposed to the way it is now being opened up. On a positive note I will soon be able to replace the transom.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434219907.519492.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434219922.639022.jpg

Got the transom boards cut today and fitted. Got them glued together and am letting the glue cure. Be ready to drill all my holes tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434331862.291795.jpg

I would replace the foam - no sense loosing buoyancy back by the motor! The easiest thing might be to rebuild the metal housings, temporarily seal the housings to the surrounding deck and seats, and get several cans of spray foam - probably the minimally expanding stuff. Then shoot the foam, let it cure and cutoff flush with the tops and reinstall. you could even run channels i fyou need to for fuel lines, etc.

I was thinking the same thing kcsphil. I was going to measure the area and build a box with screws to spray the foam into then disassemble the box. I know the spray foam is suppose to be water resistant but I wante to seal it up I always thought about maybe filling 2 liter bottles with foam and putting them back there. Foam would be water tight then

Finished up the spar urethane coatings on the transom board today. It's getting coats of primer now prior to paint. Also got the carb cleaned on my 10 hp Honda 4 stroke and it's running like a champ.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434598028.915253.jpg

Got primer on the new transom and installed it today. Rear end of the boat is super sturdy now. Still got to order my rivets so I can reinstall everything and water test it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434856831.040454.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434856867.688933.jpg

Yeah it's turning around finally. Pretty nice to see a weeks hard work pay off. I hope to get everything put back together over the next week and lay some paint down!

Yea it is nice to see it take shape. It seems like everything takes FOREVER! I'll tell the wife that I'll just be an hour and honestly believe it. 4 or 5 hours later I'm finally wrapping up the initial project....

Got a new set of submersible trailer lights on the boat trailer last night. I also troubleshot and figured out why my trucks trailer plug-in wasn't working correctly. All lights now working, I love small victories.

Latest posts