New project 14ft Meyers V Hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perchjerker

Reaction score
Hey gang. I have had this boat for 3 years and its time to give it a face lift and make it more comfortable for me to use.

I do have a basic game plan which I will outline for you, but I have a few questions first.

They are about the outside of the hull. Its of course dull ugly and faded.

I would like to paint it, after fixing some cosmetic issues which I am going to post some pics of

the hull is very sound and does not leak a drop.

the first pic is an overall shot

20160228_153843.jpg

the next pic is what I am wanting to fix if possible, There are some what I call creases, I dont know if they can be fixed without a lot of extensive work or not. I have a gut feeling I will just be living with it

What are my options with this? Just live with it? If thats the case I am ok with it but I figure if I am going to try to fix this up I would like to address it if its not too much

20160228_153928.jpg

I dont want to make a career out of refinishing the hull but I would like it to look a bit nicer, maybe clean up the bottom and paint above the waterline? Or should I paint the entire hull?

What are your thoughts?

thanks!!!!

I was hoping to get a little input on this

I think what I have decided to do is just to paint it above the rub rail to dress it up a bit and just leave the bottom as is

Perch said: I don't want to make a career out of refinishing the hull - but -

LOL yeah, "but" if you start addressing structural issues, it will be like Whack a Mole.
something else will pop up. and you will spend more time doing cosmetic work than
having fun on the water.
and yes, those wrinkles "can" be smoothed out to where they are not quite as noticeable.
A bare shiny hull will show up imperfections far more than a painted surface. Plus, you
can use body fillers such as Bondo under the paint for a very slick and smooth surface.
Paint provides some form of protection from the corrosion factors - but - can also trap
corrosion in the seams, rivets, and such. So it is a judgement call within your skillset
as to what you will be using the boat for - - - fishing, hunting or family fun ?
Pros and Cons on each end.

your boat - your call.

This is my 1959 Crestliner. It has been very well taken care of in its lifetime.
but, there are many holes, dings and divots that have been fixed with body
fillers, epoxy, etc. and covered with paint. Using the "500-30" rule, it looks awesome!!
Crestliner - no numbers.jpg
what is the 500-30 rule you ask ??? LOL at 500 feet away and 30mph, it looks great !!

thanks

that's why I decided to just leave the bottom as is and just paint it above the rub rail. that's where most of the ugly stains are anyway from old oar lock hardware, and other things the original owner screwed into the hull

that looks like a crack above that 2nd screw for the oar lock but its just a scratch

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 15,441
I made some progress in the planning.

I am going to cut the middle out of the center bench. In its place I am going to make a frame resembling a ladder with uprights on each end. These will attach to the sections of the center bench remaining on the boat.

I have this for framing material. Its Bosch Rexroth structural aluminum. I work in a test lab and we use this material to build test benches. When the benches are scrapped, the stuff is usually just sent to recycler, so I grabbed a bunch years ago and its been sitting in my garage ever since

framing.JPG

This stuff is very strong and will work great to replace the support that the center bench provided.

ladder frame.jpg

And since I have a lot of this, and also the fasteners used to connect it at right angles, I may end up just framing the floor with it.

Here is a sketch of my plan. The gray bars represent this framing. I may end up placing pieces running down the center as well.

I will replace the floatation by putting it in the side compartments. Not sure on the seating yet, but it will be typical placements.

Green areas would be decking/storage areas

drawing.JPG

any thoughts on my ideas so far?

thanks

Perch,

check out the lowe link in my sig. i took the middle seat of a v-hull as well, works great.

thanks guys!!

Johnny I have this 9.9 tiller) it runs like a sewing machine. It came with the boat. I have had it for about 3 years now

IMG_2436.JPG

Ictalurus yours look great! Gives me some good ideas. There are so many builds here its hard to sort through them all!!

One thing I need to figure out how the best way to attach the framing to the boat is. It does not have a lot of ribs. I will attach it as good as I can to the ribs I do have.

I plan on starting on it this weekend, it has been in my pole barn at my cabin. I towed it home this past weekend. Now its full off snow lol. But that wont last

thanks

Really nice layout man. If you have any left over send it my way[WHITE SMILING FACE]

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Texas Prowler said:
Really nice layout man. If you have any left over send it my way[WHITE SMILING FACE]

thanks Tex!

I am borrowing a Dewalt chop saw from work to cut the supports, this stuff is pretty tough and the chop saw makes it real easy to do.

I am going to start on it Saturday, its still full of snow but I will get it thawed out and in the garage!

Sounds like a plan. I'm limited to my garage due to the driveway being sloped.

I decided to flip the layout of the side compartments. Reason being I will have more legroom running the tiller from the right side.I have been getting expert tips from Lyle (Schukster) as I am using his build as model for mine. He pointed this out to me and I am glad he did!

He did such a nice job on his build!!! https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?t=39912

For fun I just took a pic of it as it sits in my driveway now. You can see some of the alum strut material as I was sizing it up

Come Sat it will be defrosted and in the garage! Then the work shall commence!!!

SNOWBOAT.jpg

ha

just got back from the car wash, all the fungus is gone!

While I was backing it in the driveway, a guy drives by and sees me backing in, slows down and gives me the big 2 thumbs up!

thought that was cool....

I made some progress this morning. I am working on the floor framing, nothing is secure yet, just laying it out.

I do have an issue, that carpet is glued to the floor. I hope I can get it out with a heat gun but mine must be at my cabin in my pole barn, so I am going to borrow one from my work on Monday and give that a try

framing1.jpg

framing2.jpg

More work today. Ground off some old rusted bolts that held hooks for minnow buckets, etc and through the years have left ugly stains on the outside of the hull that I will remove and paint over

Also completed the frame. Its just laying in there now. I have some industrial rubber feet that will be placed where the frame contacts the boat to prevent it rubbing.

Here are a few pics.
20160306_113017.jpg

20160306_113044.jpg

I still have to get that old carpet out. Hopefully tomorrow

working on getting the carpet out

the heat gun doesn't work, there is no real backing to this carpet, and all the heat gun is doing is melting the carpet.

I tried scraping the heated glue and carpet up, works somewhat but its real slow going. Real slow.

So I tried my disc grinder with a flap disc on it. It works but man what a mess.

So I just started pulling on it and working it off with a razor knife, kind of like skinning a deer.

This is working the best, still leaving the the glue there but at least the carpet is coming off. As long as I can get that off I am not going to worry about the leftover glue, its going to be covered up anyway

just doing the best I can...

well the carpet is out! Just some minor cleanup to do.

I ended up using my trusty sawsall to finish it off. Laid the blade hard on its side and just started digging into it

Of course I had to watch out for rivets but I knew right away when I hit one and backed off

scraped.jpg

More progress. The floor has been cut and laid in place. I also put a 7" steel tube seat mount I had that came with the boat (but I never used it, it was too tall without the floor, my feet would not lay flat on the floor) but now it will work fine with the new floor in place. The mount and seat are not bolted down, just sitting in place to see how they would work

I also have the Nautolex flooring.

So we are getting there!!

20160312_150126.jpg

20160312_150137.jpg

20160312_131409.jpg