16ft Sea Nymph V hull project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter00

Reaction score
I started my boat project a few days ago. It's a 1973 16ft Sea Nymph with a 30hp mid-eighties Mariner motor (made by Yamaha). I have owned and used this boat for the last five years. The first year I owned it I built a small cabinet in the back. The cabinet housed a marine battery and I stored a few item in the upper dry space above the battery. I mounted my Lowrance a top the cabinet and installed a couple led lights for night fishing (as you can see in the first photo). It was functional, but I always had plans in my head for a more comfortable/usable boat without the bench seats. I have done a lot of looking and reading on this site and I have decided the time is right for this large project.

The photos are the before. I will post some more picture of the progress I have done to this point.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 2,437
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 2,437
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 2,437
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 2,437
I do not have my plan fully developed, but I have a really good idea of how I want it to turn out. I would like a casting deck up front and the flat floor in the middle. I will run cabinets along both sides having one side be a rod locker and the other side storage space. I want to do a small deck in the back to store the 6 gallon gas can and possible space for a starting battery (future use as the current motor is pull-start only). As you can see in the pictures I will have space for two marine batteries under the front deck. I would like to make a platform for a bow mount trolling motor and a storage area under the bow platform.
I hope to install led navigation lights and courtesy lights in throughout. I want to put a two bank on-board battery charger under the front deck. I would like to put in a marine stereo and have phone charging outlets, 12v car charger type and a couple USB ports.

The pictures below are the progress I made over the weekend. I did a little work today before I had to leave for my real job. I put in supports under the rear most cross member (I will take pictures of the whole front deck support structure tomorrow). Please let me know what you think so far and help me along, as I think I will need all the help I can get.

Attachments

• image11.JPG
    image11.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 2,400
  • image10.JPG
    image10.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 2,400
  • image9.JPG
    image9.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 2,400
  • image8.JPG
    image8.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 2,400
  • image7.JPG
    image7.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 2,400
  • image6.JPG
    image6.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 2,400
  • image5.JPG
    image5.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 2,400
A small bit of progress on framing.

I ordered steel flex for the bottom with beige pigment for color and plan on spray painting the top-half, inside and outside, in a dark blue. I have a lot of prep work to do for the steel flex and primer/painting. I'm thinking all the old paint needs to come off and start fresh with good etching primer.

Any recommendations on a marine grade paint I can put in the spray gun to apply?

Attachments

• image12.JPG
    image12.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 2,315
  • image13.JPG
    image13.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 2,315
Well, I got the back casting deck framed out. I will start on the main floor, between the front and back casting desks, on Monday. I am thinking of sheeting the main area with aluminum sheeting. I am looking at ASTM B209-10 5052-H32 Aluminum Sheet from Discount Steel in Minneapolis.

Here is where I could use the advise of some of you guys that have worked with aluminum a lot. The area is going to be 4 feet wide and about 82 inches long. Should I get 1/8th sheeting or can I go thinner? I plan on running the supports about 12 inches apart the width of the floor. If I get thinner aluminum sheeting, should I put in more (closer together) supports?

Let me know what you think so far.

Attachments

• image16.JPG
    image16.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 2,203
  • image15.JPG
    image15.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 2,203
  • image17.JPG
    image17.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 2,203
  • image18.JPG
    image18.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 2,203
Well, it's been quite a while since I have posted. This is my first boat project and I think it will be my last. I have spent soooo many hours working on this boat and soooo much money, I'm not sure it's going to be worth the trouble. I guess time will tell.

I stripped the paint with aircraft stripper, and that worked well. I did numerous hours of work with a brass cup on the drill and a 3M paint removal disc on the angle grinder. Took all the old paint off the outside and half-way down the inside. I took some pictures of the inside but, I did not take any of the outside.

I put steelflex with beige color on the bottom half and Rustoleum marine top side paint on the top half, Navy blue, outside and inside. Doing the steelflex was an experience, I had done a lot of reading on this site so I was prepared for the difficulties. My main concern was not the look of the steelflex, but the protection and sealing qualities it offers.

Here are pictures of some of the progress. I have a lot more pictures I will post later this evening.

Attachments

• image22.JPG
    image22.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 1,887
  • image20.JPG
    image20.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 1,887
More pic's

Attachments

• image23.jpg
    image23.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,865
  • image24.jpg
    image24.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,865
  • image25.jpg
    image25.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,865
  • image26.jpg
    image26.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,865
As you can see in the following picture's, I have most of the framing done. I ran two pieces of channel aluminum up the main floor. I will use the channel aluminum to drop supports to, for my cross members under the main floor (which are not done yet). The main floor will rest on the angle below the side cabinets and the front and back. The main floor will be 46 inches wide and about 7 feet long.

Attachments

• image30.jpg
    image30.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,860
  • image29.jpg
    image29.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,860
  • image28.jpg
    image28.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,860
  • image31.jpg
    image31.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,860
  • image27.jpg
    image27.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,860
Looks good, my boat doesn't have any ribs that I can use to attach supports to.So I have to be inventive.it's an older Crestliner don't even know the year!But all in all I am slowly working it out. :idea:

Dayum, now THAT is gonna be a tin boat, as in a boat loaded with tin!

Not to detract from your post of an excellent build, but I tell you, I'm VERY impressed with Steel-Flex! FWIW they also say one should only use a new/clean SS brush or rotary brush when cleaning aluminum. I've also had tremendous success using on on my 'old' boat with vinegar as the cleaning solution. It being a diluted acetic acid, it also etches the aluminum. Rinse well and if used inside the boat, I'd probable toss in some baking soda to make a solution/slurry to neutralize it. But I just rinse well when used on the bottom.

I did the SS brush w/ vinegar clean to 'bright' or as clean as I could reasonably get it (afterall, it's the bottom!), then the freshwater rinse, followed by good drying, then acid-etch zinc chromate spray primer, then Steel-Flex. Then I lightly sanded/solvent washed (removes amine blush) the Steel-Flex and applied a copper-free ablative anti-fouling paint, as my boat is moored 24/7 in saltwater from (hopefully) mid-May to the end of October.

I just pulled the boat and put it in my driveway, as I'll be away on vacation and this way I don't have to worry about it. After a few days of drying out, I gave my bottom paint and Steel-Flex'd hull a really good looking over. Man, that Steel-Flex stuff STICKS really well!

Just for kicks, in a area around a rivet, I used a new metal paint scraper just to see how well that S-Flex stuck. I had to really use some horsepower to intentionally gouge or scrape the S-Flex and at now time did any of it chip or break off. Appears to be wicked tough stuff! It will be interesting to see how it wears from year to year ...

NOTE - I sealed the rivets and chines only, I did not fully 'paint' or encapsulate the running hull in epoxy, nor do I see the need to. For one, I'm a cheap bazztard, LOL and I cannot see wasting good epoxy 'painting' a sound flat, solid, otherwise perfect surface in epoxy and even more, epoxies do not adhere with the same film adhesion tendency that say latex paints do, where the resultant finish is only as sound as the film skin is in a given area.

Anyway ... back to YOUR build - looks awesome =D> !

Thanks for the compliments guys.

water bouy said:
That's gonna be nice. You may need a guard rail to keep those kraken out of your boat in the first pic.

Thanks Water Bouy, that made me laugh! :lol:

Excellent work on your framing! I hope mine comes out as solid as yours looks. I will be referring back to these pics when building my own. Thankyou. What size aluminum angle did you use? What thickness? I just finished epoxy then painting my 85 sea nymph j14 big water. Then threw on a poor mans power pole and some led lights. Gonna start the inside next.
5a25603b63e9a6d0463477ea8d2b1e65.jpg
https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/578c05566f0a9/20160717_181830.jpg
https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/578c056ca7a88/20160717_175332.jpg

Sorry, it's been a busy summer and I have not had a lot of time to work on the boat.

Fla_yankee - I used 1-1/8"x1-1/8" angle 1/8" inch thick. I don't know if you can tell from the pic's but, I also used some square tube 1"x1" tube 1/8" thickness.

Here are some pic's of the main sub-floor framed out. I have the seat bases just set in place in some of the photos. Next comes electric, if I can find some time. I'd sure like to get it on the water this summer or fall.

Attachments

• image35.JPG
    image35.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 622
  • image34.JPG
    image34.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 622
  • image36.JPG
    image36.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 622
  • image33.JPG
    image33.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 622
Great work...hope the wiring goes good for you and you can get that thing in the water this year and enjoy all your hard work!

Latest posts