My Alumacraft 1648 ncs project!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catch Release Repeat

Reaction score
b08ccca06918d2b95787a9e27160ea53.jpg
db51bc6d379ef2c71203f3977083b5ca.jpg
1d4de9263c3673bce02655d0934bd8ba.jpg
dbd6af6f3d5924f03d2dbf8a24e1f42d.jpg
b2d2ecd34a180257fd600d24e702bb3b.jpg
641ea4b417ff20205e686e2e3dbbd989.jpg
200dcae59532494050ac3365aee706ee.jpg

At the very beginning and today I wasn't very good at taking progress photos.
-My seats are 3/4" pin mounts and have a 16" post for the front man.
-5 tite lok rod holders
-1 tite lok net holder w a clamp that I will move around to actually use for my king pin anchor pole. Went with the 10' two piece model.
- Plano dry box stores my life vest, collapsible paddle, various Nik-naks. Cushion on top for a little guy.
- lowrance mark 4 w gps. Contemplated buying a new humminbird helix but after playing w one in gander mountain I was less than impressed. I'd like to save and get a lowrance elite 5 ti.
-2 batteries, 1 cranking battery strictly for my Yamaha 25 4 stroke ( electric start only), and 1 tractor battery for my lowrance and bilge pump.
-noco 2 bank on board battery charger, very happy w so far.
-as far as lights I picked up watch battery powered, waterproof, led lights that can hook right onto the boat for night fishing.I avoided running wire all over the boat as much as possible.
- I fabricated a aluminum plate 1/4" thick with some aluminum angle underneath to add stability for over my AFT storage over the batteries and gas tank to create a completely flat real platform.

Always open to more ideas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dock lines were tied to the exact lengths I wanted with a carabiner to just hook right onto them. I let my father in law take it out from time to time and his judgement on knots and lengths wasn't ... Ummm..... Good.... At all. It was a good idea, and worked well, but they rattle and are kind of a nuisance. I've debated back and form between changing them out for flip up cleats or the style were you just lace it between the teeth.

Dry box isn't fastened down I throw it in the bed of my truck when I'm towing it somewhere, but while wide open on the throttle it doesn't move inside the boat. And for the 20 bucks it cost from walmart, it really is dry, no moisture issues.

The "lace between the teeth" style cleats are foolproof enough for even someone that doesn't have a clue as to tying a rope, aka, my wife!!! I have them on all 4 corners...

Catch Release Repeat said:
My dock lines were tied to the exact lengths I wanted with a carabiner to just hook right onto them. I let my father in law take it out from time to time and his judgement on knots and lengths wasn't ... Ummm..... Good.... At all. It was a good idea, and worked well, but they rattle and are kind of a nuisance. I've debated back and form between changing them out for flip up cleats or the style were you just lace it between the teeth.

Here is what I use for dock line.
https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Dock-Bungee-Loops-Pack/dp/B00SLX8Y8I/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1462367811&sr=8-12&keywords=dock+line

Air head makes a bungee style dock long for like 15 bucks that i thought about but I saw one in a store and it felt as cheap as the price.

Bailey Boat said:
The "lace between the teeth" style cleats are foolproof enough for even someone that doesn't have a clue as to tying a rope, aka, my wife!!! I have them on all 4 corners...
I really like these, easy to work with gloves on when duck hunting in the freezing cold and wet.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Bailey Boat said:
I really like these, easy to work with gloves on when duck hunting in the freezing cold and wet.

Do not leave those types of cleats unattended. Up/down motion of boat can release line from those style cleats.

Luckily i found a smoking deal on a boat lift last summer. Was shopping Craigslist and I came across an add for a 14 ft aluminum boat for 400 bucks and at the bottom it said also have a lift for 125. Called and as luck would have it they were only around the bay from our lake house. Told them I wasn't interested in the boat but id be there for the lift tomorrow! It looked like it was in rough shape but it worked flawlessly. I just changed out the cables and pulleys a few weeks ago to be on the safe side, and it'll get a wire brush and galvanizing paint to the whole thing hopefully this weekend.

Moral of the story, I basically stole a boat lift, and knots are no longer a concern.

Everything looks great.

Two things...You are NEVER done with a boat...any boat! Ha Ha

When I saw your strap-over....I thought it would be better at the stern, rather than partially up the hull. Depends on how far you have to drive and at what speeds, though. I was driving behind a guy one day who didn't have ANY strap on the stern. His motor and hull jumped about 15 inches when he hit a rough railroad track!

Well done! richg99

There's one on the stern also it goes from one handle, under to the trailer and back to the other handle, the strap over the middle is kind of just over kill.

And I know it's never done, my minds always turning and I get so many ideas off tin boats. But, once it goes to the families lake house for the summer, the tinkering usually slows down untill I pull it for the winter.

11e9294a4efbab1fb29a8400bd309812.jpg

Nice boat! I'd sure like to get something close to that someday. 15' or 15'6" and 48" minimum, but as wide as I can. I love the big front deck and open floor space of my similar 1440 Xpress (flat bottom, flat front). It's actually got more deck area and floor area than my 1648 War Eagle mod-V (gun box wastes a lot of floor space).

You can buy aftermarket side storage boxes and gun boxes from AK McCallum that I've looked into but twice they stopped contacting me when I asked what shipping cost so I never pursued it further. No so sure I actually want it anymore so maybe it worked out okay.

This is a 16' ( actually 16'6" technically) alumacraft mod v ncs Sierra

Yeah that boat came with the box. Don't like them myself. Wasted space and a case works just as well. I say I want something under 16' because that's the maximum length to not have to insure, carry a fire extinguisher, etc. Sometimes I forget that the rules vary from place to place and not everyone is from around me, haha

Latest posts