First Boat - '86 Tracker TX-17 w/ leaking rivets

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fir3hawk

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just picked up my first boat this spring and unfortunately my first few attempts to get it out have not been very successful.

The boat is a '86 TX-17 w/ a 45hp Mariner (Merc "Classic 50") and it is in fantastic shape for the age. During the test drive, it took on a little bit of water in the bilge but when we pulled the plug out it was wet so I did not think the elderly gentleman I bought it from put it in tight enough so I wasn't overly worried.

I took the boat out a few times and it was still leaking after having the plug in tight. I found a few loose rivets so I got impatient and had them welded. Boat was still leaking so I filled the livewell and verified the livewell plumbing wasn't the source of the leak. Then I decided to go ahead and fill the boat with water and found a bunch of rivets were still leaking a couple of which were the ones that had been welded.

So now, I'm working on pulling the boat apart to fix the rivets. Any helpful advice is welcomed. :)

Here she is the day I got her:
fpbvzKP.jpg

Maiden voyage:
bq7YPqX.jpg

Most of the rivets I found to be leaking:
d5FaSsb.jpg

Front deck removed:
Sg8EOwo.jpg

Console removed:
xtsocj3.jpg

A couple questions:
Do I need to remove the side to get the bottom floor out? It looks like it will come right up but I had a screw that was stripped so I am working on drilling that out.
Can I just tear the foam out? What do I need to do about getting some put back in?

This video shows how to fix the leaking rivets. There are several ways people will tell you is the best... But this is the way I chose.
This video isn't the product that I bought, but is how I am fixing mine. I have searched and Googled this subject for Hours.
This way seems to make the most sense and from what I read, is a solid repair.
I bought my big riveter on Ebay, ($23.00) and bought my 1/4" closed end aluminum sealing rivets from McMaster-Carr.
You do all this from outside the boat, no need to take the interior apart.
Also, most people recommend applying 3M 5200 Boat Sealant around the rivet then place it in the boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPfPryTRcY4

I've got a early 80's tracker too, I'm on my second rebuild right now. My advice....
Use as little wood as possible
Rip out the old. Foam
If you're gonna replace the foam, use EPS (expanded polystyrene) (cheap) or pool noodles or two part marine grade foam

dootech said:
I've got a early 80's tracker too, I'm on my second rebuild right now. My advice....
Use as little wood as possible
Rip out the old. Foam
If you're gonna replace the foam, use EPS (expanded polystyrene) (cheap) or pool noodles or two part marine grade foam
Can I remove the foam completely? My dad never put it back in on his '78 Bass Tracker III

Only wood I'm aware of is the decking. What can I replace it with?

Finally got the floor out tonight. Some of the rivets are under the front foam and cargo area. The aluminum bracing and cargo area are riveted on so i'm not sure how to remove. I could drill out the rivets and put bolts in but a few spots I'd probably have to rivet back in and I dont have a rivet gun.

Any tips? Feel kinda stuck now.

c044325323f93c2c426dbb1fe6fcd725.jpg

324ce2865f8901479b2203475015fe25.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fir3hawk said:
The aluminum bracing and cargo area are riveted on so i'm not sure how to remove. I could drill out the rivets and put bolts in but a few spots I'd probably have to rivet back in and I don't have a rivet gun.
If it were me doing that work, I'd use one of the large 'A'-frame type rivet guns that take both hands. They can be found for $35 or so. Use one of them and good rivets and your work will be done right and done once.

Note that is NOT the tool I'd use to repair/replace solid rivets set through the hull, but is fine for other riveted uses.

I'm going through the same thing rebuilding my jon boat, now.
I gutted the entire interior of my boat, getting ready to take the aluminum floor off and replace the old waterlogged Styrofoam and replace with closed cell foam board from Lowe's. I drilled out all the rivets and bought a big rivet gun from Ebay and replaced the rivets with 1/4" closed end aluminum rivets from McMaster-Carr. I also removed all the foam in the boat, because I wanted an open boat. I am not sure, but hopefully the closed cell foam board will keep the boat afloat if it ever sinks. :LOL2: There are a world of old jon boats out there that never had foam...

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-743-100-Rivet-Gun/dp/B0049E4VJO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468692111&sr=8-1&keywords=1%2F4+rivet+gun

Your boat maybe the only thing to save your life, if it has foam. Without foam, you remove it from the list completely. It's a short list to begin with. Boat, life-jacket (if your wearing it). after that, good luck? The odds are stacked against you.

Replace the foam, the life you save may be your own...

As for the leaking rivets, most can be re-bucked to seal.

Pulled the foam and front storage floor out. Gonna try to find some time to have my dad help me rebuck the rivets.

b6cc0fdef9aa0e8fc67f6496bb733aa2.jpg

46846475202a6c26fe56467815223465.jpg

Since you have the floor out and access to both side of the solid rivets I would replace the leaky ones instead of just re-bucking them. You can get a cheap air hammer from harbor freight and a rivet setting tool for about $20 total. You'll be surprised how much you will end up using it throughout your modifications. At least I was.

Here is the air hammer I use to set my solid rivets. $10. https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/hammers/air-impact-hammer-kit-92037.html

The style of rivets will determine which rivet tool you need. Mine are brazier head, so this is what I needed. https://cdn.opentip.com/Tools-Home-Improvement/Ajax-Tools-Mod-Brazier-Rivet-Set-p-3593877.html?gclid=CJmi8LyLh84CFUUmhgodiI4JYw

Latest posts