Monark 14 ft upgrades

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

water bouy

Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread for the boat a bought last weekend, a 14 ft Monark. My plan will vary as I go along. So far I'm only doing a floor and bench seats. It has rounded runners or stringers, whatever you call ems, 11 inches on center. Going to frame it with standard 2x4s and 2x2s and 3/4 exterior plywood, all coated with Titebond Ultimate. I must have read a hundred threads and decided I'll only use it for a few years anyhow so no need to spend big money and it needs the weight of wood. I'll take pics as I go. Already found a 25 Evinrude to replace the 9.9 Mercury. This little boat is rated for a 30hp. Planning to use a hole saw to match the ribs and if it lays securely enough I'll only need a few rivets or screws. I can't seem to find marine carpet anywhere so pontoon vinyl is the plan for now. You can see where the factory used vinyl on the shelf at the front.

YfO82eBh.jpg

Lumber and two $10 circular saw horses.

rJe4Ty3l.jpg

Two inch od hole saw for 2" od ribs.

3dSWXkLl.jpg

Screwed two 2x4s on top of a 2x6 and mark for holes.

1FIf3PFh.jpg

Hole saws are wonderful things.

kJD1pY5l.jpg

Cut one 54" long, the most the benches will allow and tada, holes are not right. The rib centers are also 10" and 10 1/2" as well as 11".

uiiIXNhl.jpg

Measure and cut for each center.

XDC2Hw6l.jpg

That's more like it. This will be an easy job. It may take forever though.

bRk9mV4l.jpg

The factory put a shelf behind the rear bench, probably for a gas tank which I'll leave as is for access to the drain plug, to pull wires and because of laziness.

SCESpzLl.jpg

Thanks kindly. While i was at Lowes I checked out their carpet with the rubber backing. Anybody recommend it? I got a couple more runners done today and decided it needs a casting deck at bench level after all. It'll have plenty of room underneath for a battery and whatnots and if I find it sits too high it'll be easy to take off.

water bouy said:
Thanks kindly. While i was at Lowes I checked out their carpet with the rubber backing. Anybody recommend it? I got a couple more runners done today and decided it needs a casting deck at bench level after all. It'll have plenty of room underneath for a battery and whatnots and if I find it sits too high it'll be easy to take off.

I work at Lowe's... I went to boatcarpet.com. for my boat carpet.
The face weight on Lowe's carpet is lower than 16 oz.; at least what's available in our store.

I also purchased boat carpet padding from another source, bassboatseats.com... Just to cover the areas where the most traffic will be.

Thanks kindly. I ordered some tan and beige samples from bassboats. The other site only seem to have dark colors. I tried a piece of 3/4 plywood to see how it'll feel and it's sturdy as can be. The runners should keep it from shifting back and forth once it has a few surface screws.

aHPYKsTl.jpg

This layout would be ideal but I'm reluctant to take out the middle bench. Other than that the boat looks identical to mine.

208Ljrfl.png

Another pic I borrowed from the internet.

RaOIxFhl.jpg

Between work and rain i haven't gotten much done. Earlier this week a guy gave me a piece of 1/8" aluminum angle that looked good for the bow. Another guy put a bend in one leg so it's almost a Z shape. This is how the bow looks where someone had a piece of wood across the top.

uZ2x7RXl.jpg

I want mine level with the top so I had to come up with a bracket. Cut the angle to length, notched it and tapped it with a hammer and block of wood until it curved, secured with clamps, drilled holes and secured with temporary screws.

Imv8oUCl.jpg

Should work well with 3/4" plywood covered with "silver sand" vinyl coming from Cabelas.

ukNiknul.jpg

Yep, I bought a piece of carpet and changed my mind before I even unrolled it. When I cut the plywood and cover it, I think I'm going to lay it on the brackets and trace the bracket from underneath and then take the brackets off and put screws in from the bottom for a tidy look.

Started the other side when I got home today.

fqmQgcEl.jpg

Template.

ELIfyN2l.jpg

First attempt. Curves aren't any easier for me to cut than straight lines. Should be enough room for a desktop computer, an old timey phone and maybe squeeze in a trolling motor. The boat came with a nice transom mount Minn Kota that I would like to put on the bow somehow since the bench looks close enough to reach the handle.

8VM36Mal.jpg

The 'silver sand' vinyl came today and it's identical to the shelf in the first pic. Also found some 3/8" monel staples at an Ace hardware so today I got busy coating the wood with Titebond Ultimate. The 25hp Evinrude I found needed more work than I'm capable of doing so I sold it on craiglist and put a deposit on a 1987 merc xd 25hp at a boat repair shop. This is my kind of fun.

Added braces today.

53cK2INl.jpg

Then stapled the vinyl the way someone would who's never done it.

uVUWTuCl.jpg

So far so good. This IS going to take forever. I like how the Titebond did, it made the wood feel like hard plastic. Time will tell if it holds up. I got a gallon of it from Home Depot for $58. Already had a visitor who looked under the tarp to see if anything is worth stealing.

5fbwdlll.jpg

I came across some 11ft x 4ft x 1/4" sheets of aluminum tonight for $250 each but no pics. I'll call in the morning and see if they know what kind it is. Which grade is best for boats and does the price sound good? Also came across 40"x48" pallets not far from there for the same price.

229lgo2l.jpg

5XXX+ series is marine use aluminum. 6+++ series $$ and less malleable.

1/4" is very heavy for a 14 footer. Hull is only 0.10 "

I really like your project. Great job.

Thanks very much. After a lot of indecision I picked up a stack of aluminum planks off craigslist this morning for very little. I was reluctant to drive 50 miles but when I saw em I knew it was worth it. Apparently they're for picnic tables and such but these are 15ft long by 9" wide x 1 1/2" deep.

vmTVWfhl.jpg

I believe they're called 'extruded' which must refer to the design. It's lighter than plywood and they have grooves for traction. When I got back I cut a few pieces to see how it's going to look. Probably make them sit a little lower than they are now. He threw in four "extras" which will be enough to do the whole job. Just need to decide how to secure them.

GM10a1bl.jpg

nqSCtPTl.jpg

6oinJKzl.jpg

Now I'm wondering if it needs vinyl or not. Also thinking about opening the top of the middle bench for storage or a livewell and putting swim noodles under the floor.

I decided to lay them a little higher on the small ledge running along the side. For every one I cut right I cut another one wrong. As I understand it you measure once and cut twice. Hah. I'm thinking of using them to frame a front deck with 1/2" plywood on top covered in vinyl. Not sure what kind of seat to use so any idears about anything are very welcome. I have the feeling there's going to be an aisle through the middle bench once the floor underneath it is braced really well.

If the bracket under the bench is riveted to the plank against it, it would probably go a long way toward bracing one side to the other. Then I could run a long clamp across the top of the boat so it doesn't go anywhere and cut the bracket flush with the plank. Then brace the new compartments to the planks before taking the clamps off. Just spitballing.

RRtWx5xl.jpg

Are those aluminum planks able to rub the sides of the boat? If so they will cause wear in the side of the boat over time, not to mention rattle like crazy if you hook an outboard up to it.

They'll be screwed to each other and to the stringers and short enough that only the bottom of the planks contacts the ledge. Measured the bench tin at about .04" which surprised me. I thought it would be at least .06".

Located a small piece of 5052 .040" and it doesn't bend well without cracking so 3003 looks like the way to go or piece the storage compartments together with angle and rivets.

Got the bow plate mounted and put a wood floor up front and found a PowerDrive and a 25 hp on craigslist for redunkulous prices. Finally took it to the lake last week and the long pedal cord is terrific. I can sit in the back and really have no need for a casting deck. I hadn't been on the water in years and the weather was just right. I forgot how much fun fishing is.

X0ss5zSl.jpg

uTfzqpsl.jpg

Gonna try this type rod holders when they get here.

WniOEzOl.jpg

Latest posts