Jrob's 12ft Monark build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrob238

Reaction score
I been snooping around the site for s few weeks now trying to get some ideas while looking for a boat. Yesterday I found a 12ft monark that came with a trailer, seats, and a 30lb thrust c2 minnkota for $250.

Trailer is homemade and I want to make some adjustments to it. Boat seems to be in pretty good shape with the exception of someone trying to paint it Maytag blue with house paint.

Last night I went and bought some stripper and starting trying to get all the house paint off. Im having decent success. I went with a gel stripper to help hold it on the sides. Im using a metal putty knife and steel wool to remove the paint after its set. Any advice on how to make this process faster is appreciated.

My plans are a front deck and a small rear compartment for batteries and such. This is my first boat so it will be a slow going process. I joined this site for the much needed guidance so I make sure to do it correctly.

Here are the pictures:
afdf2a6cf639a171948786ce3ccd16a6.jpg

f70230c391fb69fa93d6a9379c1ed7bc.jpg

d289d015c108778f736f665d6637fad5.jpg

d0f8bddcc84966b966bca27acc2475d7.jpg

9e9f5d354f8410783634a6d336001cc3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

So it seems there use to be some kind of coating on the bottom. Under the blue paint there a thick goey substance thats really a pain in the rear.

Im considering using a wire wheel attached to my drill. Anyone think this would harm the aluminum?

4e4e4bc4cc9459ccd39083fbb0d9d059.jpg

I scratched the wire wheel idea. Went and borrowed my dads pressure washer. Finally making some decent progress but its pretty slow.

Found out theres a white layer of paint underneath whatever the crap that goo was, but its just on the bottom.
e3d75d2dd8272b6e6d2924c5109408ba.jpg

cedeeb3f88b1681cf0f9ad586958dde7.jpg

If you have an angle grinder lowes sells a paint eater wheel for removing paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott85 said:
If you have an angle grinder lowes sells a paint eater wheel for removing paint

I dont but I bet my buddy does. Definitely gonna give it a shot. Thanks!

After almost 8 hours of pressure washing and one nasty sunburn later, I have finally made a little progress.
c91a5906389e621c5afdde5cac920873.jpg

fa09285054726485ae79d26c21ad3188.jpg

Its not much but I was beginning to wonder if it was possible.

Question: I read somewhere that if you went down to bare aluminum you had to use a self etching primer. Im not planning on taking the whole thing down to bare metal if I can help it. Would it be fine using the self etching primer over non bare areas?

Search for acetone wash on this forum. Johnny comments on it and answers your question

Scott85 said:
Search for acetone wash on this forum. Johnny comments on it and answers your question

Thanks, I found it. Looks like im going to add a few more things to my grocery list for tomorrow. Hoping to get it ready for paint by sunday.

3M paint remover wheel has turned out to be the best thing since sliced bread. I just wish I had two batteries for my drill.

Progress delayed until the drill charges.
ea032255b9f6504ae09367fbc8be3b0f.jpg

That's awesome, keep up the hard work it's looking good!

Scott85 said:
That's awesome, keep up the hard work it's looking good!

Thanks, looks like Im not gonna be able to cut any corners by not taking the whole thing down to bare. Which is ok, its gonna look better starting completely fresh anyway.

Im finding some pretty deep gashes on the sides and bottom. Nothing all the way through the hull, but maybe 1/8th deep. I dont really want them to show after after its painted so, while the drill charges again, im looking for some kind of filler. Any suggestions?

Took a break for a few days. At only 28 I been laid up with back pain. Bus rollover in highschool to make a long story short.

I was able to get out and put in some work on the boat this evening though.
b5bb5c9273b7f36c3bc07b23c6c8811b.jpg

8b18d8b3be6e9097c49fa1f579e5fa7b.jpg

f4be90598995ef2a3bff0d7e17c1c6bb.jpg

I got tired of constantly recharging my drill so I went to lowes and pick up an 8 amp corded dewalt. Makes the job even easier. Eating through 3m wheels though. Whatever goop is on the bottom really grinds them up. On my third wheel so far.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Another question:

Has anyone had to rebuild the drain plug on thier boats? Im not sure exactly why but the previous owner has put in what look to be a piece of 1 inch pvc and looks to be sealed with silicon. Suggestions on how to clean this up and make it right?
50dc37810b09b8a0c78faea238a49688.jpg

868b810d0f3d532bc9cf8abb5473d891.jpg

I'm expecting it to fall right out when i go to remove the paint around it.

7ec5de32c4ac9f140e248c151558a376.jpg

Ditched the home made trailer for an actual trailer

What do you have planned for this once you get it cleaned up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am planning on taking my boat down and repainting this winter. This is probably a dumb question but I don't know the answer so whatever, are you applying the paint remover gel, letting it rest, then stripping with 3m brush? Or was the stripper only for the initial paint removal? Thanks!

CalvinXJ said:
What do you have planned for this once you get it cleaned up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry it took so long to reply. I had to halt my project for awhile because of school. Good news is the semester is winding down so I will get started back really soon.

This will be the first boat I have personally owned and the first aluminum boat I have ever stepped foot in. But my short term plans are to mainly use it for crappie fishing, can't beat fried crappie. My true passion is bass fishing so I will probably attempt to do some of that as well. I have a few pockets that are current/wind protected with boat ramps that I will probably wear out to no end.

Long term plans are honestly to flip the boat for a profit and buy another, bigger, project. My ultimate goals are to continue to buy and rebuild until I work my way into something like a bass tracker. So far I have 100 bucks in the boat, 150 in the new trailer, and maybe another 100 in materials. Im projecting about another 50 or so to get the rest of the paint. By the end with less than 500 in the boat I am hoping to make a good profit and giving the condition and price of jon boats in my area I should be able to jump into a 16ft that will need a little less work than this one.

MmmFishing said:
I am planning on taking my boat down and repainting this winter. This is probably a dumb question but I don't know the answer so whatever, are you applying the paint remover gel, letting it rest, then stripping with 3m brush? Or was the stripper only for the initial paint removal? Thanks!

One thing I have learned with this project is there are no dumb questions lol.

The stripper I bought thinking it would make quick work of getting rid of that house paint. Which on the insides of the boat it worked really well and I will probably do just as you mentioned by letting the stripper rest then hit it over with the 3m wheel. But on the bottom of the boat it didnt even make a dent. There was some kind of sealant used 4 coats a paint ago on the bottom of this boat and the stripper I had just wasnt strong enough to eat through it.

I dont know if I am answering your question though so Im gonna just list what I am currently doing and plan to do.

My first step was to use a pressure washer with a very tight nozzle to remove any loose paint and to help break up the sealant on the bottom.

Second, I went over the entire bottom and sides with the 3M paint wheel. There is no need for stripper if using the paint wheel honestly. It makes a tough job A LOT easier. I definitely recommend it.

My third step will be an acetone bath then primer for the bottom and sides.

Then I will repeat the entire process on the inside of the boat.

After acetone bath and primer on the inside I am going to do a water test. I am 95% positive I do not have any leaks but I want to confirm by filling the entire inside of the boat in water and check for any drips. Im also a little worried about the drain plug the previous owner rigged up with a piece of PVC. Im currently working with a friend of a friend who welds aluminum to come up with a better solutoin

Latest posts