1997 Tracker Pro Team 17 overhaul

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prowelder

Reaction score
I just purchased this setup for $2000. The motor is in excellent shape. Runs like a top. I had her running about 35 with 2 adults and a 6 year old. Everything works except the speedometer and trailer lights. The carpet and seats need to be replaced, and the boat has some leaky rivets. Nothing I can't handle. I am planning on installing some more storage hatches in the front as well as installing a handrail around the entire boat about 9" tall. Just something to help keep the kids safe. I have a 6 year old a 3 and a 2 year old so to me the rail is a must have. Especially since the decks are almost flush with the edge of the boat. I've already tore some of the floor up and started repairs. I also bought some 2014 triton seats to replace the old one. BTW these seats are more comfortable than my couch or the seats in my Denali!
49fb90abbfd0747d2748f21682a00811.jpg
36f7b39a733ae106ea55f847599fbb65.jpg
553b195ab5ff0ba3a972827ca3cb9188.jpg
b2d578caaf769bc076a870dd8b457f16.jpg
df4ad88dde346181566848e89b5d9482.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Here we go. This is gonna be exciting! Good deal!

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

Is that a big dent on the right side? I can't Make it out in the first photo.

Sincerely,

jbird68

jbird68 said:
Is that a big dent on the right side? I can't Make it out in the first photo.

Sincerely,

jbird68
No its has some flex seal sprayed on the side and bottom. Thankfully there are no bad dents at all.

Well, that's good. In the photo it looked like it was crushed in that area.

Sincerely,

jbird68

Update. This spray foam is a *****. Whoever decided it would be a good idea to use this stuff should be hit with the bus driver uppercut! If anybody out there has ever restored one of these boats or knows how to tear the back deck apart and remove everything from the gas tank to the steering console I greatly appreciate the knowledge. I'm honestly thinking of completely gutting this boat and Welding the seam down the middle completely and all the rivets. This will delay process dramatically, but I plan on keeping this one for a long time. The plan was to just fix the leak enough to get me through til next winter but now that I'm tearing this thing apart I can't help but want to do it the right way. I have already removed all of the foam from the front deck and started removing some from the back deck I guarantee you I have removed over a hundred pounds of wet moldy foam. Fishing season is coming quickly and if I have to I will buy 200 feet of extension cord to run my battery maintainers and let the billage run all night while it's in the water at our lake house but I still have a good four weeks and I love a challenge. I'll post some pics of This Disaster

When you pull the carpet off the back. It will be pretty much self-explanatory from that point on. The whole lumen them back part of it is in different sheets that is riveted down to the sub frame. Just drill the rivets out the panels will come up in the foam will be easy to get to from there. You'll know what I'm talking about after you pull the carpet up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

37229fe1b0d867ad1fc8bc7d5ce630b1.jpg

This stuff is disgusting and yes I plan on replacing it with some closed cell foam. Once I have fix all the leaks and welded everything solid I plan on installing a layer of coat it on the inside of the boat. I like the look of the shiny bare aluminum on the outside and do not plan on painting it. It's easy to spray it with some aluminum stripper and clear coat every winter. I do not plan on using it during the winter. I have another boat for that. This is basically going to be my Lake boat for Bass and catfishing in the summer.

gatorglenn said:
When you pull the carpet off the back. It will be pretty much self-explanatory from that point on. The whole lumen them back part of it is in different sheets that is riveted down to the sub frame. Just drill the rivets out the panels will come up in the foam will be easy to get to from there. You'll know what I'm talking about after you pull the carpet up.

That's what I was thinking I was hoping to leave this carpet in until next winter but at this point to fix the leaks and remove the foam it seems inevitable

1435320824a3b6c76fd1acb916c77d2d.jpg
This is where Iam at now. Starting back up actually tomorrow.

6e7ff88326d8b8925ebafd672812d5db.jpg
b13a0ae0831544e9a3011e941d8d44b7.jpg
563c7eb17fa7f6fe2ed7feb1d6240545.jpg
306854cf2778d048f5844f4c5b4d39c7.jpg
31512182ba6c620f021e034d9512b5dc.jpg
6b1dadf11308726dfd332e9584978285.jpg
2baa7504de653941cc5eaa4323c57be7.jpg
three and a half more hours of ripping this thing apart and I'm almost there! I am honestly considering welding the ribs to the hull. Then drilling out all the rivets and plug welding all the holes up from the bottom of the boat. Anybody ever done that? Any advice

Wow, I'd say this is a full take down. Was the foam soaked

Yeah she was extremely and moldy. It smelled terrible underneath there. I'm going to clean it up and start welding on it soon. About 10 hours into this build just for demo. I filled up 3 City trash cans full of dirty foam. I guarantee you I remove at least 200 pounds probably more

e5be80357d849b13004cff1cbd699a14.jpg

I think I repaired all the leaks. After tearing the floor and console out I noticed that someone had done a terrible repair job. The floor ribs where they meet the corner of the hull uprights under the side console had broken welds and the rivets had cracks between them. So someone decided it would be a good idea to use some steel plates on the inside and outside of the boat to sandwich the rib down with through bolts. Then they covered it with Flex Seal. Obviously the Steel corroded and contaminated the aluminum. I removed all the steel patches, and cleaned the aluminum the best I could. Then I put some new plates underneath the ribs inside of the boat and welded them, and had to weld four of these plates on the bottom of the boat. FYI if you do not know what you're doing do not jerry-rig your boat. All you're really doing is making it worse and harder for someone who actually knows how to fix it later on

Prowelder said:
e5be80357d849b13004cff1cbd699a14.jpg

I think I repaired all the leaks. After tearing the floor and console out I noticed that someone had done a terrible repair job. The floor ribs where they meet the corner of the hull uprights under the side console had broken welds and the rivets had cracks between them. So someone decided it would be a good idea to use some steel plates on the inside and outside of the boat to sandwich the rib down with through bolts. Then they covered it with Flex Seal. Obviously the Steel corroded and contaminated the aluminum. I removed all the steel patches, and cleaned the aluminum the best I could. Then I put some new plates underneath the ribs inside of the boat and welded them, and had to weld four of these plates on the bottom of the boat. FYI if you do not know what you're doing do not jerry-rig your boat. All you're really doing is making it worse and harder for someone who actually knows how to fix it later on

That last little bit I agree with 100%. My current build is a culmination of 10 previous owners who did stupid stuff to just stay on the water. Instead of paying for a welder they bondo'd half the darn boat. Now it's safe to say it's been done correctly but it's taken me weeks instead of days.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest posts