David's 2017 Tracker 1542 Build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How's it's going everyone new to the site and glad to be here,Excited to start and share my build with you all and of course learn from the pros along the way.
I recently purchased a boat on craigslist just for the outboard and trailer,And decided to pick up a 2017 Tracker 1542 from bass pro to put on it.Im ready to get this build started! Right now the plan is to add a good size front deck and a smaller one in the back I think,Gunna leave the middle area open for the kiddos.So much to figure out so if you have any recommendations id love to hear,I'll be searching threads on here all night lol.
13a154f079ec9f556fe59b637a9b4b92.jpg
1fa6ebc875674ff62026421ec28eeebe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Because it's new and you want the middle open, I'd consider making a simple carpeted insert for the deck with a hole for the seat base and a quick connect trolling motor mount. That way the boat stays unmodified but you still get the deck. Might even be able to get away without a support if you use 5/8 ply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JigglyJohnson said:
Because it's new and you want the middle open, I'd consider making a simple carpeted insert for the deck with a hole for the seat base and a quick connect trolling motor mount. That way the boat stays unmodified but you still get the deck. Might even be able to get away without a support if you use 5/8 ply

That's a great idea thanks,I was thinking I could deck it without braces and make it removable as well,You think 5/8 ply is the best way to go?

For the relative small area, the extra weight won't be much. If your putting a bow mount trolling motor, half the storage space between the benches will be taken. If you dont modify the hull you won't have to add foam.

JigglyJohnson said:
For the relative small area, the extra weight won't be much. If your putting a bow mount trolling motor, half the storage space between the benches will be taken. If you dont modify the hull you won't have to add foam.

Thanks for the feedback man,I did pick up a bow mount motor today.

Picked up a minnkota edge 45 thrust today for $175 in New condition,Pretty good deal.
Do you guys think a 45 will be ok for this boat?Or should I resale and go bigger?Thanks

DavidPrestonFishing said:
Picked up a minnkota edge 45 thrust today for $175 in New condition,Pretty good deal.
Do you guys think a 45 will be ok for this boat?Or should I resale and go bigger?Thanks

Great deal. If you're going electric only or if you fish a lot in decent winds, you probably want at least a 55.

Yes it will be fine for fishing. As long has you have an outboard for main motor. As mentioned above, Electric only, I would go 24v.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the same boat. I have a MinnKota AT 36 lb thrust (has 5 different speed settings, mostly run on 1 or 2; 95% of the time), and it's just fine. Your boat is very light-weight, so the trolling motor should be plenty powerful. I do agree that an outboard is nice, as I have a 15 hp, and it gets up to 21 mph. I even had some mods done, as in extended front deck and removed the center livewell to make room for the battery. Perfect mods to make a little more room, gain some much needed storage space, and clean/clear floor space. Peace of mind when having a guest or smaller children in the boat.

Attachments

• 20160817_105034.jpg
    20160817_105034.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 3,369
  • 20160817_105049.jpg
    20160817_105049.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 3,369
  • 20160819_120522_resized.jpg
    20160819_120522_resized.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 3,369
bobby_bates said:
I have the same boat. I have a MinnKota AT 36 lb thrust (has 5 different speed settings, mostly run on 1 or 2; 95% of the time), and it's just fine. Your boat is very light-weight, so the trolling motor should be plenty powerful. I do agree that an outboard is nice, as I have a 15 hp, and it gets up to 21 mph. I even had some mods done, as in extended front deck and removed the center livewell to make room for the battery. Perfect mods to make a little more room, gain some much needed storage space, and clean/clear floor space. Peace of mind when having a guest or smaller children in the boat.
Awesome man! Appreciate the feedback.Sounds like the 45 will do everything I need it to do then.

Started on the frame for the deck today with the spare wood I had,Gunna finish adding the braces and hatches tomorrow after I pick up more wood.I was planning on using 3/4 ply for the deck that's why I went with 2x2s for the frame but I'm gunna be adding quite a few more braces so I'm wondering if I could get away with 1/2 ply instead?I'm a little guy and I'll be the only one standing on it,I weigh 160 lbs.I have no problem getting 3/4 but do u guys think I could get away with 1/2?Since it will be braced VERY well.Thank you all for the feedback
12caef6872504c6b761a5eead6098d39.jpg

If it's braced well 1/2" should be fine. That's what I have on mine. Remember not to use treated wood.

gillhunter said:
If it's braced well 1/2" should be fine. That's what I have on mine. Remember not to use treated wood.
Thanks bud! I'm gunna go with 1/2 and seal it with spar urethane

Treated wood will destroy an aluminum boat, especially if used in salt water. Stay away from it. The trolling motor you scored will be just fine. My boat is 17' and weighs 800lb with the outboard and it ran with a 25# for years. Was it a precision honey hole gps position holding machine???? No..... but it still fished just fine. The trend now adays is to have a trolling motor you could wake board with. It has something to do with living in the future i believe. Good luck with the build out!

Also, do your research on deep cycles before going out and buying a battery. If you run around with that minn kota full blast it will suck down a ton of juice relatively quickly.

Kingbryce said:
Also, do your research on deep cycles before going out and buying a battery. If you run around with that minn kota full blast it will suck down a ton of juice relatively quickly.
This is the battery i got for just the trolling motor will it be ok for now?

DavidPrestonFishing said:
Kingbryce said:
This is the battery i got for just the trolling motor will it be ok for now?

23d99bdc4e779bc87d646cae44325c11.jpg

Latest posts