Converting 16ft starcraft holiday to open bow

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eriecrappie33

Reaction score
I'm sure this topic has been up more than once , in fact I thought someone on here had the same boat with the same project? Not having much luck with the search on here... Anyone have any pics or insight on converting this boat to open bow. A friend of mine wants so do this on his 16ft starcraft holiday. Thanks guys!

I hate to see an old runabout getting molested. There are lots of open boats out there.

No disrespect , I understand what your saying but if it will let him do much more with it and enjoy his boat much more , I say more power to him... it's not exactly a rare jem and I think you could express what you said to about 90% of the modifications on this forum? Just looking for any ideas from folks who have done this and have some insight and or pics of how they tackled it.

Erie said: "it will let him do much more with it and enjoy his boat much more".

putting adulteration and molestation aside;
what year is it?
what does he want to do with it?
how does he want to enjoy it?
fishing? boating? camping? seasonal or all year?
lakes - rivers - ocean ?
bimini top? console? tiller steer?
how many people will be in the boat on a normal excursion?

I would suggest he come up with a plan to show the gallery how he will
utilize the new modified version the most.
then, sit down and make some drawings of his vision.
then - come here and become a member so the gallery will not be talking
through the third person aspect and any issues and concerns can be handled more accurately.
also - help him post some photos of what he has now. (from his new account).

I have seen many modifications and conversions that have been tastefully
done that does not really detract from the boat itself.

jus my Dos Centavos

Man this is a tougher crowd than it used to be, I will be helping him with the mod, literally just want to open the bow up, leave the windshield the way it is to walk through and have a spot up there for a seat to fish from aND probably put a trolling motor up there , just wondered how some guys go about bending the bow after cutting or other options. I don't have pics sorry. If I can't post for a project I'm helping with and brainstorming for I'll take this down. Apologies in advance

. . . . . . . . is it like this one ?
image_94328.jpg
in my world, I would remove the windshield completely
and just start drilling out rivets to remove the deck lid
and see what your options are - - - and make a plan from there.
but - realize that a deep V hull like that has very few options for floor space.

Yes very similar if not exactly like that, maybe a raised deck up front to gain some floor space. Drilling out rivets and removing the lid Def sounds like what we should start with. My original thoughts were to cut the lid and bend the metal to form? When I get working on it I'll post up any pics that might be helpful.

I like these boats, they have sweet lines in my opinion. As a fabricator, if "unriveting" the cap doesn't look like a good option; you could mark out where you want to open up and have at it with a jig saw/sawzall then form a piece of aluminum angle to fit over the cut edge and rivet or ss screw and nut into place as a stiffener/ safety edge. Probably have to build some kind of frame under the dash to hold the windshield from sagging. Then build a deck up front to fish from. Probably be lots of room for storage underneath. Interesting project. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason I suggested to remove the deck lid first
is to explore your options of possible modifications.
who knows - you may agree it is too much trouble and
not within your combined skill sets to continue,
just put the deck lid back on with new rivets - no harm done.
just know that there is no turning back once you start with the power saw.

once you get the deck lid off, you could make a cardboard mockup
which can easily be adjusted as your ideas change.

I will reiterate - there is no turning back once you start with the power saw.

Johnny said:
and this "old fiberglass runabout with a rotten transom and floor For Sale"
pertains to the Original Post how ???

[MODS should move it to the For Trade or For Sale section]

A tough crowd indeed Erie.

I think this is a neat project, and I'm interested in seeing some pics when you get started. I was thinking of converting another closed bow boat (which I will not discuss further to protect the purity of this thread) to an open bow or center console. Does the windshield already hinge open in the middle?

Yes the windshield is already hinged for the middle window to swing open fortunately for us. I will keep this post updated as we tackle this project, last year we tackled a new flook and carpet for him, this year will be the bow and I will have to tackle his spider Web of wires he's got going under the console....

This is my old starcraft , these pics were from some work I did this spring in the floor. I'm almost certain someone cut the bow on this boat way back whenever to make it an open bow, but this is kinda the layout we are going for except he's going to keep his windshield.

I recently considered picking up a Starcraft closed bow to do the same thing. Fortunately I found a conversion thread (fishing forum I think) where the poster found it was more work than bargained for. His case was one where the bow was too short and he had to move the consoles back.

Here's my effort! Although a dual console and not a closed bow, I converted it to be a center console. Double-hulled on the running bottom, Lund Tyee 18' model, screamed to 45mph. Was ideal for saltwater (deep-V) fly fishing ... says the guy who sold her ... only to take up saltwater fly fishing 1 year later :roll: .

Any conversion can be done, you're just limited by your abilities, time and your wallet $$!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 842
DaleH said:
Here's my effort! Although a dual console and not a closed bow, I converted it to be a center console. Double-hulled on the running bottom, Lund Tyee 18' model, screamed to 45mph. Was ideal for saltwater (deep-V) fly fishing ... says the guy who sold her ... only to take up saltwater fly fishing 1 year later :roll: .

Any conversion can be done, you're just limited by your abilities, time and your wallet $$!

Where's the like button in this forum??

Thanks for the welcome Johnny

Latest posts