1959 Lone Star clipper

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gjpslp

Reaction score
8aa76de8-6b6b-4557-8bb9-aad75b2cd135_zpsmzjtuecm.jpg

Well I stumbled on what I think is a cool old aluminum boat. I had to have it so pulled it home last week. Anyone know where any id plates are located on the boat?
It has been in a dry building in storage for 30 years. Amazing condition, original plywood is good, original paint is chipping off.
I plan on restoring it to pull behind my old 1959 f100. Even the same color..

Attachments

• 0715170751.jpg
    0715170751.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,909
  • 00G0G_1Jt5F0UPeh4_600x450.jpg
    00G0G_1Jt5F0UPeh4_600x450.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,909
Welcome Aboard !!
you have found a rare treasure for sure !
the most common area for the serial number is on the transom
upper left or right corner, hand stamped into the metal.

LS serial number.jpg
LS-HIN.jpg

I have a complete set of the Lone Star chrome emblems
for the sides that were re-chromed last month if you need any.

I know it is miles down the road before the paint job.
but - personally, if it were mine, I would paint the Lone Star
the original red and white or blue and white and repaint the truck to match.
I go to a LOT of antique car and boat shows and that is just about the norm for rigs down here in Da South.
jus my Dos Centavos.

It really looked like the green was original on this boat. Is that a possibility? I am no expert in any way but an old scanned brochure image I found looked like "Newport green" was a color option.

Anyway thanks for the feedback. I am excited to get the restoration going.

That boat is a real gem. I hope you don't butcher it. I hope your restoration preserves the split seating etc...

saw this on craigslist

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/boa/d/extremly-rare-alumacraft/6225976712.html

Newport Green is the color.... excellent find... that will be a gem when you get it restored...

fetch

Shaugh - I wonder what kind of primer that is ?? red Rust-Oleum Rusty Metal Primer maybe ??
anyways, it appears to have been painted on a smooth, non-abraded, non etched surface.
and this, boys-n-gurls, is what will happen when the wrong methods and wrong materials are used.
peeling.jpg

Good point Johnny.. Maybe it is a bad repaint... I was going off the authors claim that it was an original Newport Green:

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-repair-and-restoration/boat-restoration-building-and-hull-repair/614136-lone-star-newport-green

I like his idea of matching the truck... I wouldn't think I needed to absolutely reproduce "Newport Green"...

Beautiful boat and will be interested to see your progress as it goes. As has been noted, it looks like it is "Newport Green" and I would guess that would make it a mid-50's boat. Good luck and please post your progress.

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. I do plan on a correct restoration and promise not to butcher it in any way. The boat is currently an original barn find so it is a good starting point. I found it interesting that the plywood seats were covered with a heavy vinyl coated fabric along with both dashes. I plan on doing the same. I did find the hid# , see picture, (Thanks Johnny) I think the boat is a 14' Admiral Deluxe and not the Clipper. It is a 1956.

Glad the Newport green was original, I really liked the color. I was considering painting the deck and lower half of the hull green and polishing the natural aluminum sides to a gloss. It is amazing that the sides if this old boat are not scratched or dented.

Stay tuned

Attachments

• 0723171450a.jpg
    0723171450a.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,736
Not a lot of photos to be found on that color.... I suspect the paint I showed above isn't correct... I found this one which is much closer to what yours looks like now.. And much closer to the truck...

Clipper_56.jpg

Latest posts