ANYONE HERE DONE A 19FT TIN JONBOAT AS A FISHIN RIG??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satx78247

Reaction score
Friends,

Just this afternoon, I found a 19 foot, shallow/70" beam, 1973 LOWE LINE JON-BOAT in decent shape for cheap. Have any of you actually modified a Jon that big as a fishing machine??
(I'd sooner not try to "reinvent the wheel", so I'm seeking ideas.)

THANKS, tex

Welkorthemagnificent,

I'd guess that that comment is TRUE,

Nonetheless, I'm looking for ideas on how exactly to do this remodeling task & HOPE that someone here has done so on a 18-20 footer.

yours, satx

with a boat that big your options are wide open, you can pretty much make it as complicated or simple as you wish since really you aren't limited by size. better idea of what you want to use it for would help. do you want to put a jet on it and run rivers? are you looking to troll for walleye? are you looking to make it a bass boat? are you targeting flats for trout and redfish? they all typically have different setups for a reason, and if you narrow it down to what you want to get out of the boat, we can give you more ideas.

kalnimn,

WELL, a few thoughts:
1. I don't fish for bass, but do fish for channel cats & crappie, so NOT a "bassboat", by any means.
2. I plan to run trotlines & set-hooks in some of the lakes, rivers & saltwater bays in South TX.
3. I'll fish the river mouths & shallow TX bays for Flounder, Reds & Specks.
4. I'll power the big Johnny with a rebuilt 1958 SEA KING electric-starting, short-foot 35HP outboard.
(The Sea King is a Johnson Big Twin "clone" that was sold by Montgomery Wards. It runs like a Swiss watch.)
5. I need space for 3 six-gallon gas tanks.
6. I 'll want at least TWO swivel & COMFORTABLE bucket seats for my lady & I, for long days on the4 water.
7. I'll want rod racks (for rods to 9' long) along the sides, a live-bait well, a fish well & an icebox, too.
8. I much prefer a stick-steering system to a wheel on a console.
9. I want "built-ins" for TWO batteries
and
10. A "comfort station" for her would be NICE. = A "hassock-style" with top.

yours, satx

I'd get some big pcs of cardboard (like from appliances) & mock up any ideas you come up with. Sometimes they look different in the boat than in your mind.

Good luck - the boat won't seem so big when you are in the bay!

Tex - when you gonna learn how to post pictures ??
you know that if the gallery has something to look at,
you will receive more accurate responses.

my MV bass boat is a 1648 and I wish it was 3 feet longer and more wider.
you have an awesome platform to start with - if it is already gutted.

as mentioned above . . . cardboard mockups would put you in the right thought patterns.

Johnny said:
Tex - when you gonna learn how to post pictures ??
you know that if the gallery has something to look at,
you will receive more accurate responses.

my MV bass boat is 1648 feet long and I wish it was 3 feet longer and more wider.
you have an awesome platform to start with - if it is already gutted.

1,648 feet long? That must be hard to back down the ramp. :LOL2:

I upgraded from a 16x42 foot to 18 foot by 60" it pretty much doubled the usable space of the boat and a lot more stable. As for use, I fish for bream and cat, run jugs, and will duck hunt out of it this season. I have a fairly open floor plan. A 35hp might be a little underpowered for a boat that size but I think you would be happy with a boat that size.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Johnny,

Darned if I know. = Fyi, I finally bought an "old school" digital "point & shoot" camera BUT now I have to figure out how to use it.
(CONFESSION TIME: I'm nearly illiterate at "technology" & have considerable difficulty with "following" printed instructions for such things. = My 8yo niece finally programmed my TV for me.)

In this case, the long/wide Johnny is 19 foot long by 70 inch maximum beam with low sides and 15 inch transom. - It has 3 plain bare metal bench-seats. = REALLY, REALLY "Plain Jane", so little to strip-out.
The finish is painted plain OD-green & in OK condition.

One of my Army buddies first saw it, checked it out carefully, called me by phone & described it as, "A bare canvas for you to remodel to suit yourself." Then he said, "You could sell it for scrap aluminum for what he's asking."

Upon "Tomas" comment, I called "Francisco" & said, "Where do I send you a check??" = He told me his snail-mail address & I took the check to the PO.

yours, satx

dirty dave,

The data-plate on the transom says a MAXIMUM of 35HP, so I'll not exceed that HP requirement. = Our TX Game Wardens check things like that, gleefully pass-out "tickets" for $$$$$ and as a "brand new" and "just graduated" TX Master Naturalist, I need to upset one of our Wardens like I need an aggressive cancer.

In any case, I don't NEED a FAST fishing boat for the sort of "messing about" on the water, that we two will routinely do.
(My much-beloved "Dee" is a "rank beginner" at fishing/boating/shooting but she is "willing to learn". = Until about 6 months ago she was a "city kitty" out of Spokane WA but she's now a PROUD "Tex-Anne".)

She has NO interest in "staying home" while I go fishing/hunting/camping/horseback riding/teaching/etc. = She, just last week, volunteered to help me do my TMN "stuff" at Dairy Days at Phil Harberger Natural Area & was genuinely "a BIG help" with our presentation to the many students/parents.
(Our Chapter Manager said of her, "WOW! Did you ever find a winner in that YL. She's a 'firecracker' for sure!!" Then, Jeanette said, "She WILL be in our Spring Master Naturalist class, won't she?")

yours, satx

Tex - I applaud your drive for conservation in the Texas Master Naturalist program !!! =D>
I wish more of the younger generation would get involved in our ecosystems and seek out
such programs they can be active in and help try to save our planet.
When I was stationed in Bermuda with the US Navy, I was invited to join the University of Bermuda Conservation
Movement and after 6 weeks of night school, I became a certified Naturalist Tour Guide
for the island as well as in snorkeling and scuba diving adventures. I have completed several college courses
in Oceanography, Marine Biology, etc and now have become a retired "Islandologist". it was a BLAST !!

I wish you well in your adventures !!

Johnny & All,

Fwiw, 6 members of our chapter here in The Alamo City CREATED the TMN program 20 years ago & just 2 weeks ago was our anniversary. = The MN program has spread to at least a dozen States, the UK, Australia & NZ.
(Germany is pending.)

Fwiw, I'm most active with a group that is teaching archery & other outdoor skills to elementary through HS age students, doing small mammal & reptile surveys & removing invasive species (mostly china-berry trees), which is just 2 of the many "niches" that our volunteers are doing.
(Last SAT the "china-berry team" removed well over 100 such trees from just one Natural Area.)

Readers may want to get involved in the MN program in your local areas OR help start a chapter.

just my OPINION, satx

That's alotta boat for only a 35hp. Look forward to pics. My digital camera came with a cd program for the computer. Once I learned how to get pics to the desktop the rest was easy. Don't bother with photobucket, try imgur. Or upload them directly.