Does anyone use 3m 5200 prior to welding

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

South Sound

Reaction score
Welding question.
I am attaching diamond plate to the aluminum transom. I'm planning on using glovit first on the transom to reduce corrosion.

Does anyone use 3m 5200 on aluminum sheet prior to welding to the transom?

My thought was if there was a leak, it wouldn't get in between the transom and the aluminum diamond plate.

Are you asking about 3M PF 5052 heat transfer fluid or 3M 5200 sealant?

Generally, you want the aluminum to be pristine when you weld it, otherwise you just get a major oxide puddle.

I wouldn't add any coating to your material. In fact wire brush the heck out of it with stainless steel & wipe with acetone just before welding.

Yeah 5200. I was going to put a sheet of extra diamond plate I will have on the transom. I was going to 5200 it onto the back. Put all the transom bolts back in. Then get it welded along the bottom and sides.

Sounds like a good idea, except for the welding, which won't like being anywhere close to cured 5200.

You coukld just pop some rivets in along the perimeter.

Once the 5200 cures, the diamond plate will be permanetly joined. Better than welded!

If you are welding, don’t use any sealant whatsoever. Either sealant and bolts or welded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk