Truck bedliner for hull of an aluminum boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hotpickle

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm working on a 14 ft aluminum side console right now. The time to paint is coming up and I was thinking about using a roll on truck bed liner, then paint above the waterline. I'm going to use epoxy to seal roivets and seams on the inside of the hull.

Does anyone have any experience with using the truck bed liner for the hull of their boat? How did it turn out? How long did it last before it started breaking down/chipping? Was the surface smooth and slick, or rough/rubbery/textured and creating a lot of drag in the water? My goal is to make the boat as hardy as I can. I'm looking at EZ Liner, the grit is a separate part that I don't plan on adding to keep it smooth.

Thanks for your help!

Hotpickle said:
Hey guys, I'm working on a 14 ft aluminum side console right now. The time to paint is coming up and I was thinking about using a roll on truck bed liner, then paint above the waterline. I'm going to use epoxy to seal roivets and seams on the inside of the hull.

Does anyone have any experience with using the truck bed liner for the hull of their boat? How did it turn out? How long did it last before it started breaking down/chipping? Was the surface smooth and slick, or rough/rubbery/textured and creating a lot of drag in the water? My goal is to make the boat as hardy as I can. I'm looking at EZ Liner, the grit is a separate part that I don't plan on adding to keep it smooth.

Thanks for your help!
I just put raptor bedliner spray in my starcraft. It's not completed yet, so I haven't tested durability. People paint trucks with this stuff, so I would imagine a boat bottom would be good too.
940300f07cadbf1ab9821bc01c5e079b.jpg
7ec1acbeb580fb51c795b78409417951.jpg
f8b82f98164968ef4f29605d2ad2c35f.jpg
58e4d2880197122c7895a28373a342a2.jpg
59f2598057cf9f98ed6c2fefefaffd4a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Looks great! Did you just spray inside of the hull, or the outside as well? Was the fi ish smooth to the touch, or is it a little rubbery?

Hotpickle said:
Looks great! Did you just spray inside of the hull, or the outside as well? Was the fi ish smooth to the touch, or is it a little rubbery?
The finish is not rubbery at all, it's a hard finish. Takes 5 days to fully cure. The texture is adjustable by air pressure and nozzle adjustment on the gun that comes with the kit. It can be tinted any color also. Look up raptor bedliner kits.

I've heard of people using this stuff but never tried myself. Does it come it a variety of colors? What about prep? I don't think I'd want it on the outside of my boat though.

eshaw said:
I've heard of people using this stuff but never tried myself. Does it come it a variety of colors? What about prep? I don't think I'd want it on the outside of my boat though.

So my idea for doing it on the outside of the hull is to make it more durable for the areas I fish. A lot of shallow water, and it can get rough. I also fish a lot of smaller. Northern Ontario lakes too. I'm not looking for top end speed, as long as it doesnt add too much drag and I start burning through fuel.

To the user that pointed me to raptor liner (my_demeyes), thanks dude.

I just spoke with a tech there. For anyone interested, adding 10-15% reducer gives it a satin finish. I got into a pretty deep chat with him if anyone is interested in more info, but I will definitely be going this route!

Hotpickle said:
To the user that pointed me to raptor liner (my_demeyes), thanks dude.

I just spoke with a tech there. For anyone interested, adding 10-15% reducer gives it a satin finish. I got into a pretty deep chat with him if anyone is interested in more info, but I will definitely be going this route!
Your quite welcome. Be sure to post pictures of your project.