The poor man's fishing boat

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
lap202

Post by lap202 »

richg99 wrote:Unless your gunnel is dented or damaged, there is no reason why you cannot run the wires there. Be careful not to leave sharp edges where you drill your access holes.

On a Carolina Skiff, I owned a long time ago, wires were run through the rubber gunnel protector.

Another method of running wires is to use CPVC or PVC tubing on the inside of the sidewalls.
Will be using rubber fittings so metal edges wont be a problem.

As I'm on a hard budget I figure using the existing boat instead of running PVC will save me some cash. Will still end up running some PVC in the middle but not much.

My girlfriend and son are back from a trip so my progress will slow down to a crawl. Hopefully will find time to invest in the boat here soon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

lap202

Post by lap202 »

So havent left an update in awhile as I havent got much more done on the boat. I got the trailer working by running a ground from 1 side of the hinged trailer to the other. Have been fishing the boat ever since.

This last weekend we fished 3 out of it successfully, tho it only topped at 11 and really dragged with the 6hp. Will be trying g a 10 hp on it sometime to see if it can handle it.

With 1 or 2 people the boat can fly. Only concerns right now are in regard to the battery and motors putting too much weight on the back when it's just me.

Will be looking at either front mounting my trolling motor or running wires to relocate the battery. Once my deck is in that may help also.[ external image ]

richg99

Post by richg99 »

Re Front Mount trolling motor. 99% of high dollar Bass boats have them on the front.

It is easier to pull a string than to push it.
DO YOUR PART, STAY APART!

lap202

Post by lap202 »

richg99 wrote:Re Front Mount trolling motor. 99% of high dollar Bass boats have them on the front.

It is easier to pull a string than to push it.
It will be easy enough with this trolling motor to rotate it. Will then add a foot switch I found that will be between the battery and motor so I can turn it on and off from my pedestal I'll be putting in up front.

richg99

Post by richg99 »

A foot switch is a great addition to any hand controlled trolling motor, IMHO. I've used the Big Foot brand, but just be sure your switch is rated for the amperage that a T.M. uses.

lap202

Re: The poor man's fishing boat

Post by lap202 »

So if you ignore the date i started this we can pretend theres been progress! Alot has happened since my last post... had a daughter and the boat progress haulted.

Today i finally got back at it. Removed the front bench to prepare for the deck, carpeted the deck and got the cup holder (important!) In, and started on paint prep for the interior.

Will be priming it and calling it good. Thinking for the front of the benches, to hide all the dents and dings, ill be using my extra carpet to face them.

Only 4 or 5 more years at this pace and ill be done![ external image ][ external image ][ external image ][ external image ][ external image ][ external image ]

richg99

Post by richg99 »

Progress is progress, however you measure it.

Western14’

Post by Western14’ »

Looking good bud, congrats on the lil one. How did you secure the front carpeted bench?

lap202

Post by lap202 »

Right now its just sitting there. Did a pretty good cut for size. After i paint the inside of the boat it will have some angle brackets on bottom of deck rivetted to the boat and screws through the oar holders into the top.

lap202

Post by lap202 »

Quick update, interior is almost ready to prime. Just a little more sanding. Have been fitting carpet for the section between the benches. Got back sanded and primed.[ external image ][ external image ]

lap202

Post by lap202 »

Any advice on how to repair this. The back of the boat has a crack on the bottom. Kind of ecplains why after an hour theres 4 or 5 inches of water in the boat.[ external image ]

bplayer405

Post by bplayer405 »

lap202 wrote:Any advice on how to repair this. The back of the boat has a crack on the bottom. Kind of ecplains why after an hour theres 4 or 5 inches of water in the boat.[ external image ]

There's a few ways to repair a crack like that. Epoxy to riveting in angle with a rubber seal to brazing or welding. Depends on your skill level or if you want a shop to make the repair. It will need to be extremely clean before any repair is attempted.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk