1985 Smoker Craft Big Fisherman 14'

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrustyMono

Reaction score
I purchased a 1985 Smoker Craft Big Fisherman 14' with a 1978 Sea Lion trailer and 25 hp Johnson outboard all for only $300. Boat doesn't have any wood in it and I am planning to fix it up. This time around I will be investing more money and time into the process. This means that I will be using better materials and doing thing correctly. I started by registering the trailer and boat in PA (where I live). Then i began to take the boat apart and clean it up. i am planning to use 3/4" plywood that is sealed, not pressure treated, as my casting deck. It will extend from the front of the boat to the end of the last bench seat. I will add several hatches for storage. I want to add a fish finder and new trailer to the boat as well.

I typically fish electric only lakes because that is what is close by, and because I don't have an outboard (until now). I was thinking of using a quick release bracket to switch between my current 55 lb Powerdrive and the 25 hp Johnson for lakes that allow outboards and getting a 112 lb Terrova to use on the electric only lakes. not having an outboard in the boat would make up for the extra batteries. i would wire them to the back of the boat to disperse some weight.

I have already run into several issues, and would like your advice/help.

- The boat is more than 48" wide and a regular shot of 4' x 8' x 3/4" would be too small. What I really need is a 5' x 12' x 3/4" sheet of plywood.

- In the front of the boat, there is no platform for a trolling motor. not sure if i want to use carpeted plywood or aluminum yet. this is what I am talking about:

- I know how to make a support system for the front of the boat because the bench only extends so far and there is nothing else to support the weight of myself.

- the live well thing and other hatch in the middle of the boat are suspended on the side of the boat one only one side and the whole thing shakes real bad when any pressure is applied, and i don't think it will be stable enough to stand on.

- i would prefer a level casting deck, but this boat is made to have a floor built in, and having both is too much weight, but it relies on the floor for structural support.
​ ​​​​​​​

Attachments

• 014_zpsmfyd9h2j.jpg
    014_zpsmfyd9h2j.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,642
  • IMG_5134.JPG
    IMG_5134.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,642
  • fullsizeoutput_98c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_98c.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,642
  • IMG_5129.JPG
    IMG_5129.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,642
Imo. 3/4 ply is overkill.. 5/8 with aluminum bracing would be more than enough

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

- The boat is more than 48" wide and a regular shot of 4' x 8' x 3/4" would be too small. What I really need is a 5' x 12' x 3/4" sheet of plywood.

Same situation in my boat. Instead of running the seam down the middle, the seams run athwart the boat.

- the live well thing and other hatch in the middle of the boat are suspended on the side of the boat one only one side and the whole thing shakes real bad when any pressure is applied, and i don't think it will be stable enough to stand on.

To me it looks like these would be attached to the floor as well as the side of the hull. That would make them stable

instead of running the seam down the middle, the seams run athwart the boat"

​What do you mean by this? ^ Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

CrustyMono said:
instead of running the seam down the middle, the seams run athwart the boat"

​What do you mean by this? ^ Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

Not at all. My explanations often assume you can read my mind - Haha.

Because your floor is greater than 48" x 96" you will have to use more than one piece of ply and will have some seams (where the edges of the ply meet). Instead of running a seam down the middle from front to back, run them across the boat from side to side. If you need 12' of floor that is over 4' wide then you would have two seams running across the boat from one side to the other. That is how it was done on my boat by the mfg. In my case the floors are covered in vinyl. Hope that makes better sense.

Weigh each sheet of 3/4 ply and compare it to 1/2 or 5/8.. then reconsider your plans

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I would definitely not do 3/4". Been there done that with a 14' er. It changes the way the boat floats. Way better to do something thinner. On my next project, which is a 16', I'll be using 3/8, though that is a bit on the light side.

I used 1/2" ply my 14' flatbottom and long your support underneath is good its plenty. But make sure you get a decent plywood, not that particle board or even the 3 ply garbage. And forget the pressure treated stuff, it weighs a ton just seal it yourself.

Attachments

• 20180702_223518.jpg
    20180702_223518.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,256
  • 20180702_194220.jpg
    20180702_194220.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,256
  • IMG_3592.jpg
    IMG_3592.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,256

Latest posts