My first build 14' Crestliner Deep V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloons411

Reaction score
I've been wanting a fishing boat for a while now and I needed a project for my son and myself to work on together. I found this boat on CL for $100. It seems like everything local to me were way over priced IMO or too small. At least with this one if it's over priced (I'm sure it will be) it's my own fault. One problem I face right now is I can't find any info on this boat, no manufacturer info, no safety info, no power ratings.

The first order of business is to clean the garage so I can get it in there and start working.

IMG_20180630_193147.jpg

IMG_20180701_160041.jpg

IMG_20180701_160123.jpg

That certainly is interesting. Looks
Like there may be a logo on one of the transom caps? My guess is the boat may be quite a bit older than the Walker decal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely a vintage boat, and I’d guess late 60s to 70s with that splash well and the rounded features on the forward part of it. GREAT Father & son project!

I wondered about the Walker decal as I couldn't find anything on them.

The logos on the transom caps are bothering covered and I don't have my impact at home to start removing stuff. I'll grab it from work tomorrow. This is the better of the two caps as far as visibility of the logo.

IMG_20180701_201323.jpg

Thank you! I know squat about the makes and models of boats so any help is much appreciated!

DaleH said:
BINGO ... Crestliner!

See: https://www.retrocrestliner.com/Links.htm

Thanks for the link Dale. I'm signed up just waiting on admin approval.

After some research I think I have it narrowed down to a Crestliner Viking 14 per the numbers stamped on the side

IMG_20180701_213127.jpg

Got busy as soon as I got home from work today. I got the old plywood out. Underneath it was a cobbled together frame of different shapes and sizes of steel. The aluminum braces that it is screwed to was welded to the hull. I'm not too happy about that but I'll deal.

IMG_20180702_163218.jpg

IMG_20180702_163203.jpg

That looks like a good job of framing, even if it was steel. We all have heard about the chemical reactions between the two. Did you see anything real bad? Not saying I don't believe it, but it would be real nice if you can get some closeups for everybody. Making lemonade, if you wanted to lay out the floor the same way, at least you'd have a good template.

ncfishin said:
That looks like a good job of framing, even if it was steel. We all have heard about the chemical reactions between the two. Did you see anything real bad? Not saying I don't believe it, but it would be real nice if you can get some closeups for everybody. Making lemonade, if you wanted to lay out the floor the same way, at least you'd have a good template.

The joints of the two metals really aren't that bad. I have no previous history on this boat so no clue as to when the floor was put in.

IMG_20180702_182700.jpg

IMG_20180702_182705.jpg

I would take the framing out and wire wheel it. Prime and paint it with a quality coating. Put it back in and start foaming and decking. You could build any benches you would want.

I planned on going to the local hardware store and getting the material start on the floor. I am just gonna take out the steel thats in there, clean it up, modify it for the in floor storage, coat it and put it back in.

Today however I was cruising the local classifieds and found a motor that is period correct for the boat and runs, a little rough but it runs. It is a 1957 Evinrude Big twin 35. I will be doing a carb cleaning, plugs, fuel filter and hoses. It came with controls, fuel tank, and stand. Should be a fun little project.

IMG_20180706_134112.jpg

IMG_20180706_134036.jpg

IMG_20180706_134331.jpg

IMG_20180706_134803.jpg

IMG_20180706_135257.jpg

Good find on the motor!

I once took a 30-year old Evinrude 35hp engine cover and modified a base for it to fit over a newer 2-stroke Nissan e-start 25hp. This was on a Cadillac tin boat for a friend ... vintage hull with a reliable 'vintage looking' OB motor.

Well I just come in from tinkering with the engine. After a couple minutes of wiring the solenoid and jumping the from my van battery it fired right up. I couldn't be happier right now.

Oh and I only paid $140 for the motor.

Nothing new has happened to the Crestliner since the last update, I'm waiting on funds.

I was however looking over the stuff I do have for it. The steering that came with the boat is a tilt tube style but the motor doesn't have a tube. Is there another method to get this working together? Is there a common pipe that it will thread into that I can mount in the splash well? Some kind of conversion?

Great find on the boat and motor. Look forward to the finished product. As for the Walker decal I see those in my area (Ontario, Canada) walker downriggers is what the decal is associated with.