SS Liar's Club, revisited

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New River Rat

Reaction score
This is going to be a multi-part post on my part. I just ain't got it in me to do it all at once. So.....

I had Jim take down the thread on my build because botophuket thought that they owned my (our) pics. Well, seems now with their new ownership, my move was in vain. I apologize to anyone that posted on that thread that I asked Jim to delete.

So, I’m going to post this for anyone that might be interested. This is the build of the SS Liars Club II. There have been changes made to her over the years, and I honestly believe she really is a never-ending project.

Bought a barebones 1664 (anywhere else it is a 1648) Polar Kraft in 2012 (I think).
Picture001.jpg~original.jpg

First thing she needed was a deck extension. Went to the local machine shop and had that, and more, done.
boatdeck002.jpg~original.jpg
boatdeck003.jpg
boatdeck004.jpg
Also needed a light, quiet, non-slip floor. Used the blue closed cell foam, covered by the rubber roofing material, followed by a paint and sand mixture.
subfloor.jpg
subfloor002.jpg
001.jpg
a1002.jpg
1111004.jpg

Quick question. Do you have trouble with the rubber floor moving around?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I actually gotten ahead of myself. I bought a 1997 25 HP Johnson that was married to a couple other boats. I had the aforementioned machine shop build a lower unit protector of my design from 304 stainless. The river is a harsh environment.

componants.jpg

bottom.jpg

DSCF0005.JPG

New River Rat said:
I actually gotten ahead of myself. I bought a 1997 25 HP Johnson that was married to a couple other boats. I had the aforementioned machine shop build a lower unit protector of my design from 304 stainless. The river is a harsh environment.

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

Looks good! You should go into production and or patent this devise.

toot said:
Looks good! You should go into production and or patent this devise.

I'm about the only dinosaur/endangered species prop proponent left on the river. Everyone else thinks that a jet is the answer. Let them think that......I'm good. I actually developed this about the onset of jet popularity took off. Kinda like trying to market a Chinese abacus in a computer store.

The problem with jets as I see it are you need more hp to achieve the same performance. And with that comes more cost. So if you are thrifty at all, the prop protector is the way to go so you can use a cheaper powerplant. But it's hard to deny that if money isn't a factor then a jet would be better in the river.

Anyway, back on topic, I am amazed by your floor. I didn't know you could even do that and make it look so good. Do you worry the seams on the edges will start to separate from use? Because right now it looks seemless.

jethro said:
I didn't know you could even do that and make it look so good. Do you worry the seams on the edges will start to separate from use? Because right now it looks seemless.
Well, thanks, but it is separated from the sides. No biggie, just patina.....

This ain’t in chronological order, but close. Swapped 12” wheel/tire
boatdeck018.jpg

For 13’s.
DSCF0290_zpsina2nvqv.jpg

Looks good. Iam worried though. Does your trailer bunks extend back, to support the transom? If not you could put a hook in the bottom of the boat. Which will create a problem with drag and porpoising. Don’t ask how I know lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I typed a reply yesterday, but must have not posted it.

When I bought the boat, the trailer was thrown in, but it was the wrong one for the boat. I removed the tongue from the body and moved it forward, and braced the area.

I made side bunks from old flat steel I had lying around. The bunks are composite balusters, screwed together from the bottom and bolted to the steel. The bolt heads are countersunk.
sidebunk.jpg~original.jpg

Pedestal.....nothing fancy here, just pretty straight forward install.
boatdeck011.jpg~original.jpg
boatdeck010.jpg~original.jpg

Latest posts