1968 Duracraft tri-hull, 18'...rare here!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmf

Reaction score
Been a long time since I posted anything, but picked up a rare, Duracraft 18' aluminum tri-hull!...very hard to even find information on one.
So, needless to say, be posting updates

THANKS for telling me about this group. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Boat my family enjoyed owning for over 45 years.

Well, both engines were seized...after removing plugs and numerous applications of penetrating oil, transmission fluid, marvel mystery oil, engine oil,...i was able to get one motor freed up..the other one will not budge at all!...tried all my tricks...so gonna have to remove that one, lay side-ways, and fill it up with lube and let sit a couple of weeks...hopefully, pistons will let loose, otherwise i will be hunting a powerhead for a 55 hp...keep your ears open...
Also, steering completely froze too...cable seized up
Boat gonna have to have a new transom, completely rotten...pinholes from moisture/corrosion on transom, ate thru transom aluminum...all wood on boat, worm bedding!...undecisive about project...might end up selling for a lesser labor intensive one...

You are a gluten for punishment :LOL2:. Good luck on your project. Great looking boat.

Haha
This one got hairy quick sounds like! Hope you dont have much invested. Sounds like you could spend a few thousand without blinking and have a pretty cool boat but you would need to be certain this was the boat for you - might have a limited buyer pool for resale. That transom is crazy - I've never seen one that much lower than the rest of the boat.

It looks heavy but I bet it's not. Very cool! Run the one good engine in the middle with a new steering cable before you write it off. Is it safe enough to get a few test rides out of it or too much rot? I think you might just you love it. If you gut it you could build it back like a Boston Whaler.

Thanks for the comments. I was able to free up the steering yesterday but yes, much rot in all wood, even the interior side pieces. Gotta get that one motor freed up before I can get started on tear-out.
On the positive note, at least mfg. used stainless screws just about everywhere!

Is there anything cooler than twin outboards? Some people really like the old Chyslers. I sold a 35hp Scott Attwater in the spring and the guy was tickled to death. I'm in Florida now and will see hundreds of boats with rotten wood, canvas, vinyl and plastic. I'd be tempted to replace that side wood with aluminum sheet or thin diamond plate for a commercial look and so you don't have to keep it covered up. All aluminum work boats have been good to me. Good luck with the Marvel Mystery oil!

Got stuck engine off this morning, filled up with penetrating oil, marvel mystery oil and trans. fluid to let it sit awhile...hopefully, it will let loose, if it dont, will sell chryslers for parts and install a mercury motor on it...have many choices in my collection...myself, dont care whatsoever about flying down the lake at all so I dont care even if it doesn't have but a 40 hp motor on it, I only fish, no kinda ski mess with me

Post some updates when you can. That boat is awesome. I've got a 68 Crestliner 17 foot welded tri-hull, I believe it's called a tiger muskie. One that I want to get working on too.

Didn't even list width or weight on their spec sheet.

Attachments

• Duracraftbb004.jpg
    Duracraftbb004.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,640

Latest posts