Combining two jon boats for length

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snookerman

Reaction score
I have two of the same exact 1232 jon. Struck up an idea two cut one boat at the first support, and cut a 3 support section out of the other boat. Leaving the cross support intact I would only cut the hull on boat A centerline of the supports. On the donor boat I would cut 2 inches past the support on both sides in order to weld the seams at the center of the support inside and out and re rivet both supports. Would it work or would I be wasting my money/time plus ruin boats?

The big question is can you afford the liability if it falls apart on the water? Would your insurance company honor an injury claim?

You'd wind up with a longer but still tippy boat with gosh only knows what issues. I believe I'd sell both to finance an upgrade. And I weld aluminum.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Since I know nothing about welding...

It seems to me that you could sell the two boats, and buy one longer for little monetary difference. You'd then own one boat that was designed for your needs...and it would be as safe as a manufacturer can build.

eshaw said:
I wouldn't do it but I'm curious as to why you want to?

I can't speak for the OP, but kind of understand. I was thinking about combining my existing $14 Igloo cooler with another one so I would have a custom cooler the size I want. Mrs Ldubs says maybe I should spend $20 on a new Igloo cooler that is close to the size I want. She is right of course. Sometimes it is just the idea that we can do something -- then in my case rational thought takes over (sometimes). :LOL2:

LDUBS said:
eshaw said:
I wouldn't do it but I'm curious as to why you want to?

I can't speak for the OP, but kind of understand. I was thinking about combining my existing $14 Igloo cooler with another one so I would have a custom cooler the size I want. Mrs Ldubs says maybe I should spend $20 on a new Igloo cooler that is close to the size I want. She is right of course. Sometimes it is just the idea that we can do something -- then in my case rational thought takes over (sometimes). :LOL2:

I suffer from the same disease. I blame mine on two things: First, I am the son of a man who was the product of the Great Depression. When you grow up poor you have to make do and you learn how to make or modify those things you can't afford. My career path was different but there werent riches to be won so I continue the tradition to this day.

The second is my dad was a farmer and as such was an inventor. Farming - used to be anyway - a career that required the ability to invent and improvise in order to keep things running. My dad could fix practically anything with bailing wire and electrician's tape. When my dad died, my mom was left with the farm. One of my favorite family stories is that when mowing the substantial yard once and the lawnmower failing, my mom shook her fist at the sky and said "Harold, I hope you're watching!" Probably something with wire or tape fell apart.

Like said above, sell the two boats and get something closer to what you need.

If you don’t like the idea of selling both boats then you might think about rigging them side by side to make a pontoon or barge. Not sure how easy it would be to trailer, but it would be stable for sure.

Latest posts