87 Bass Tracker MV 16 rebuild and upgrade.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcaircraftnut

Reaction score
Last Monday I was lucky enough to be able to purchase this boat for the paltry sum of $600. Has the original Merc 35 horse on it. Needs a new starter unless I can get the bendix freed up. Had a 28lb minkota on it but it was in sad shape and I could not get it working. Admittidly I didnt try hard. I have a Motorguide 24v Brute 50lb with a Gatormount so no worries there exept where to put the batteries. Got the old trolling motor off, console loose, decks out, and most of the old foam out today. Bow foam and transom/flotation box foam looks good but Im going to tear it all out anyway. Going to make the two factory livewells dry storage on one side and a cooler that has the livewell recirc plumbing coiled inside it to cool the livewell on the other. Then build a larger single livewell just aft of them. Also going to build a raised deck with a battery/fuel tank compartment. No carpet. Going to bedliner everything. Got new foam for under the floors, it was waterlogged, as well as the plywood for the decks. Hope to get the leaks fixed in the bow tomorrow and then start framing in the decks and hatches. Pics tommorow. Got in a hurry and forgot to take any. Lol.

Got the anchor windlace off the bow th8s morning and got the old original plywood out of the bow. Thinking of replacing it with hdpe sheet. Like cutting board material. Never r9ts and is way stronger than plywood.
Got a problem with my engine. Plugs out it turns over good with the starter as it should. Plugs in it has so much compression you cant pull it with the emergency rope and my bendix is slipping grinding and smoking trying to turn it over. Then the bendix jams in the up position and no amount of tapping with a plastic mallet or rotating the flywheel releases it.
Should I have this much compression on a 35 horse Merc? Should I get a new starter or just a new bendix? Im used to Harleys and Dodges so a bit out of my element here. Lol.

Just trying to get all the teardown done today. But I do need to get a list together to get things on order so Im not stuck waiting vs fishing.

Attachments

• 20190217_114924.jpg
    20190217_114924.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 4,085
  • 20190217_114932.jpg
    20190217_114932.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 4,085
No Im not a cameraman. Yes my yard is a mess at the moment. No Im not happy about it, but I am moving soon and see no reason to clean it twice haha.

Rear aluminum floor removed. Foam in bilge was all waterlogged. It all has to come out. Sponsons are next.

Attachments

• 20190217_131314.jpg
    20190217_131314.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 4,084
Getting at the foam be death wheeling the rivit heads and pulling stuff out. I love teardown. Hehe. Found some rot in the transom wood so that will be on the list for this winter. It shoupd hold up through fishing season.

Attachments

• 15504416719941341037529.jpg
    15504416719941341037529.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 4,067
Teardown is as far as I am taking it tonite. Still need to remove the front bulkhead so I an strip the old carpet off it. This was carpeted then riveted into place. As were most of the panels. Got all of the old 80s foam out. Good riddance. Going to need LOTS of pool noodles. Haha.

Attachments

• 15504466325461615426959.jpg
    15504466325461615426959.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 4,064
Lots of foam to haul to the dump. Lol.

Attachments

• 1550446716270-1240945029.jpg
    1550446716270-1240945029.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 4,054
  • 1550446759172-51393198.jpg
    1550446759172-51393198.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 4,054
Nice boat. I’m building the same one right now. If the transom needs fixing I would highly recommend replacing it while you have everything apart and foam out. It’s not as hard of a job as it seams. I have my build posted on here as well as a couple other transoms I have replaced. Have fun!

Productive weekend! I would get a new starter. You may want to check your exhaust ports and make sure they aren't clogged.

Also mercury has a service bulletin on many of the spark plugs. Post a model/serial number. Not sure if yours would be affected.

thedude said:
Productive weekend! I would get a new starter. You may want to check your exhaust ports and make sure they aren't clogged.

Also mercury has a service bulletin on many of the spark plugs. Post a model/serial number. Not sure if yours would be affected.
How do I check this? Forgive me but I am just getting familiar with these engines. Give me a few weeks and I will have a good handle on em.

Bowlershop said:
Nice boat. I’m building the same one right now. If the transom needs fixing I would highly recommend replacing it while you have everything apart and foam out. It’s not as hard of a job as it seams. I have my build posted on here as well as a couple other transoms I have replaced. Have fun!
Boat has a beamwise crack in the keel up the bow. Peled up the JB weld and found it today. So, since it has to be welded, I may as well have them weld the transom splashwell/cap at the same time. So going to start tearing it out tomorrow after work if its not pouring rain. Now I just need to get some wood. Marine grade is almost impossible to get here. So I may have to drive to Memphis, or Dallas to get some. I am wondering what composite I can use. Like HDPE, or maybe Coosa Board.

Read that treated woods like marine grade are not recomended in aluminum boats. Someting about corosion of the metals. So I will get some exteririor grade and coat it in polyester resin. Will do the bow wood the same way. Hope to be able to get it all ready for welding by Friday. If so I will drag it to work with me and go to the welders after work. The livewell plumbing was all bad. Brittle from age. Both drains have been filled with some kind of sealant lol. The pump broke as soon as I tried to turn the nut on the thru hull. Again, brittle with age. Thankfully though most if not all the wiring is intact and in servicable condition. Now on wiring I generally know what Im doing. I was a Navy electrician haha.

Debating installing a permanant fuel tank with a gauge in the dash. If I dont use it on my boat I will be installing on the 20 ft pontoon I am rebuilding for my Dad. Its sittig next to the Bass Tracker now lol. Got it down to bare pontoons and frame on the trailer yesterday. Plan to start redecking it as soon as I get a day I can paint the wood. How much fuel would you recomend with the 35 hp Merc? I live on a very large lake. Lots of shoreline and inlets/rivers. Broken Bow Lake. I want all day useage if I can get it?

I would use something else other than polyester resin to waterproof your plywood. Polyester doesn't soak in & is also hydroscopic. Thinned epoxy resin (soaks in) would be best, but pricey.

The 'old timers formula' (search for recipe on the site here) is cheap & effective. Just my .02

rcaircraftnut said:
Read that treated woods like marine grade are not recomended in aluminum boats. Someting about corosion of the metals. So I will get some exteririor grade and coat it in polyester resin. Will do the bow wood the same way. Hope to be able to get it all ready for welding by Friday. If so I will drag it to work with me and go to the welders after work. The livewell plumbing was all bad. Brittle from age. Both drains have been filled with some kind of sealant lol. The pump broke as soon as I tried to turn the nut on the thru hull. Again, brittle with age. Thankfully though most if not all the wiring is intact and in servicable condition. Now on wiring I generally know what Im doing. I was a Navy electrician haha.
You are correct, do not use treated would against aluminum as it is treated with chemicals that will cause corrosion. Marine Grade plywood on the other hand is not treated with any chemicals and is safe to use on aluminum. Marine board is a high grade board, very dense and uses waterproof glue. I use marine board on all my builds but I still coat it with poly urethane or paint to protect it from water. My local menards stocks marine board.

Latest posts