1950's Alumacraft "Queen of the Waterways" Upgrade

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of the restoration / Upgrade?

• Excellent

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Looks OK

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • You Ruined it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a Model K like this.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm interested in more pictures.

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Streamdream

Reaction score
This classic Alumacraft Model K boat sat upside down at my parents cabin in Minnesota for many years. After my father passed away, I pulled the old trailer out of the weeds and loaded it up. I did the restoration during the summer of 2017 and it runs true and smooth with its 15 hp Evinrude. I think my father would have been proud. It catches fish too! =D>

Had to scrape the lichen and moss off the bottom which took several hours to accomplish using scotch pads and "Bartenders Friend". It creates a hell of a mess, so do it over the grass, not on your driveway. You can also use rubbing compound.

Painted the interior in a flat green. Added sand to the paint up to about 6" on the sides. Really helps with the slip problems on the aluminum.

I have the original anchor cleat from the front, but took it off to give the boat a cleaner look and so I can keep up with those 70+ mph bass boats.

You might notice that the oars are original too!

Attachments

• Top down.jpg
    Top down.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 1,436
  • Yellowstone Lake 2018.jpg
    Yellowstone Lake 2018.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,436
  • Transom.jpg
    Transom.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 1,436
It is a beauty!

Please don't shoot me for throwing some rain on the parade. I'm not sure if that is pressure treated wood on the transom A common warning here on TB is it does not play well with Aluminum.

Otherwise the boat looks new. Nice job.

Latest posts