12' V bottom Micro Skiff

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGM

Reaction score
Hello all. I have recently been deliberating with myself. I want a little one man skiff that will be easy to haul in the back of my truck. I bought some plans for a Bateau sk14 but I started thinking, why not buy a small 12' boat like the one attached here. I would like to deck it on top of the seats with marine plywood that I cover in fiberglass and put a grab bar in the middle. This will be run mostly in shallow Texas bays for short runs to wading spots. Does anyone know of any pics of anything similar to this? Thanks in advance. I will be running an 8hp Yamaha 2 stroke on this.

Attachments

• Jon Boat.PNG
    Jon Boat.PNG
    811.4 KB · Views: 1,158
If you put a deck up high it will likely make it tippy. I am a fan of making drop in floorboards in boats like this. Gives you a flat bottom to stand on and keeps the center of gravity low.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

There are a lot of nice build threads on the “link for boat modifications” thread if you haven’t seen it.

I’ve been running a 70s 14 footer like that around Christmas Bay for the past few months, no mods. I’ve dragged it over grass to get into marsh areas. Since you are transporting in a pickup bed consider anything you add will be additional weight when loading and unloading.

The center grab rails are popular, have seen them mounted to the starboard side. Consider the location and if it would be in your way not running, possibly have it fold down when not in use?

A lot depends on your fishing style. If you are mostly running to a spot to wade, do you need a deck and a floor?

One of the things I appreciate at the end of the day is the simplicity of hosing the hull down, Giving a visual everything has been rinsed out and no trapped saltwater.

An instructable
https://www.instructables.com/id/Aluminum-Boat-Fishing-Conversation-and-Restoration/

Found on google image search
00EB568F-B635-4D26-A583-6788443A5A26.jpeg

D051DAB0-500C-4DED-A88B-AFEB698E7E7C.jpeg

57615F57-E149-4ED4-961F-966223021646.jpeg

FishinFitz said:
There are a lot of nice build threads on the “link for boat modifications” thread if you haven’t seen it.

I’ve been running a 70s 14 footer like that around Christmas Bay for the past few months, no mods. I’ve dragged it over grass to get into marsh areas. Since you are transporting in a pickup bed consider anything you add will be additional weight when loading and unloading.

The center grab rails are popular, have seen them mounted to the starboard side. Consider the location and if it would be in your way not running, possibly have it fold down when not in use?

A lot depends on your fishing style. If you are mostly running to a spot to wade, do you need a deck and a floor?

One of the things I appreciate at the end of the day is the simplicity of hosing the hull down, Giving a visual everything has been rinsed out and no trapped saltwater.

An instructable
https://www.instructables.com/id/Aluminum-Boat-Fishing-Conversation-and-Restoration/

You make some very good points. My main concern is that I want to stand up while underway. I hate sitting down while navigating.

Found on google image sear
View attachment 2

View attachment 1

Nothing wrong with your idea.

Depending on your balance and flexibility, I'd start out with some flat plywood pieces on the deck/floor. Then, you may gradually raise those pieces and try things out. You'd be surprised what 6 inches in height can do to the tippiness of a little boat.

I think you also ought to consider that a flat bottom jon is less tippy than a V or even a Semi-V bottomed tin skiff. They may not look as pretty, and they won't break through the waves as easily....but there is a reason that so many are being run around here. More area; floats higher.

A grab bar, similar to what many people are adding to the fancier kayaks these days, will make standing up while running much easier. Heck, an old guy's walker, fixed to the bottom, may do the job. You can buy them for a song at Church Thrift Shops.

71CkSkJeuDL._SX522_.jpg

https://smile.amazon.com/Deluxe-Button-Folding-Walker-5-Inch/dp/B001HOM4U2/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=walker&qid=1554241990&s=hpc&sr=1-3