1954 Starcraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islander78

Reaction score
Just inherited my Dad's boat last summer, he brought it down for my birthday. Thanks Daddio!..its been in the family since the 80's i think. I replaced the floor in it 10 years ago. Now it's mine to restore. Its a solid boat, but its in need of a rehab. First priority is replacing the transom. I will also be replacing the floor again. Also looking for someone that can make me some new plexiglass for the windshield. Needs new electical ran, and thinking of adding a radio and speakers. Its missing a few original parts that i will also be on the hunt for. This site is chalk full of experienced and interested folks. So i know im in the right place! Any help is greatly appreciated. This is my first boat so im new. But i am also a 20yr carpenter so i am well capable. More pictures to follow as to document my progress..considering starting a Youtube channel.

Attachments

• 20180713_102615.jpg
    20180713_102615.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 2,520
Heres what im facing. I counted 70 fasteners in the transom.

Attachments

• 20190324_163212.jpg
    20190324_163212.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 2,464
  • 20190324_163115_HDR.jpg
    20190324_163115_HDR.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 2,464
That style of boat is one of my favorites. I can't help you with the windshield questions but suspect the current one might not be original from 1954. I am looking forward to following your project.

I've been searching the internet for any records or pictures of the 54'. Id like to make it as original as possible. Does anyone have a way to find out more about this old Starcraft?

As good a this site is I recommend going to www.iboats.com. There is a very active starcraft forum with lots of restored boats.

I like everything about the lines of your boat.
It is worth saving for sure.
If it seems like you have to replace a lot of fastenings, imagine a planked mahogany boat 60 feet long, and then it will seem more manageable.

Islander78 said:
I've been searching the internet for any records or pictures of the 54'. Id like to make it as original as possible. Does anyone have a way to find out more about this old Starcraft?

Got curious so I was roaming around on Google images. See a lot of early 60's like yours. I did find one pic of a '54. Not really any help, but thought I would share:

Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 9.45.55 AM.png

I am also skeptical of the year of the boat. The registration says 54' so i can only assume..I just found a local Marine Service shop that will be able to professionaly replace the transom for me. So i hope its not an outrageous price, i feel no matter what the cost it will be worth it. I would rather let the pros do there job and ill stick to my Carpentry. This should free up my time to restore the rest of the boat.

There are some parts i will be on the hunt for..these rear corner caps for instance..and i will also have to fix this design flaw, as to not allow water to run directly onto the top of the transom and cause rot!

Attachments

• 20190404_124248.jpg
    20190404_124248.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 2,401
You can find originals corner caps on ebay along with some after market ones. You could have a welding shop make some. Honestly the members on Iboats StarCraft forum have all these answers.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
You can find originals corner caps on ebay along with some after market ones. You could have a welding shop make some. Honestly the members on Iboats StarCraft forum have all these answers.

How do you find a sub-forum on Iboats like the Starcraft forum you mention? I'm thinking I need to be logged on, but otherwise can't see any brand specific forums. Thx.

Near the very end of the list of forums you can look up by brand or make. You can also do a site search for StarCraft and you will see all threads that have StarCraft in them you then need to look for threads that are in the StarCraft forum.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Near the very end of the list of forums you can look up by brand or make. You can also do a site search for StarCraft and you will see all threads that have StarCraft in them you then need to look for threads that are in the StarCraft forum.

Now I see it. Was curious what might be there for my brand (Gregor). Only a few posts. Hopefully that means there are not any big issues. haha.

Thanks.

Just found an old ad that shows the same windshield and bow hatch. The boat is a 64 not a 54 like the registration says

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-04-09-09-25-18.png
    Screenshot_2019-04-09-09-25-18.png
    221.5 KB · Views: 1,477
Islander78 said:
Just found an old ad that shows the same windshield and bow hatch. The boat is a 64 not a 54 like the registration says

I love that pic showing the football team on the boat!

Kind of good news -- that shape windshield will be much easier to deal with than a curved one.

Latest posts