Looking to build aluminum deck on 2008 Legend Pro-sport

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megap21

Reaction score
Just purchased this 2008 Legend Pro-sport in great condition except for the casting deck. The deck is a home-made job using regular 2x4's which have rotted through.

I would like to rebuild the casting deck with an aluminum frame to reduce the weight. Anybody have any experience doing this? I didn't find any examples on this forum, but I am new here. Any ideas would be appreciated.
ac449b2ff6e9ee103e0b0cbb9de7a5f7.jpg
9e65d2f71830135f8509b2e22de21f46.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can bolt aluminum angle together unless you can weld or want to pony up for a shop to do it. Wood won't rot if it's kept dry. If you store your boat under cover (not a tree) wood will last and is your cheapest option.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Check out TBNation on YouTube.. he does a lot of aluminum framing with no welding

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I used aluminum angle for the framing on my boat as well. It was riveted together where needed using closed end blind rivets, and then I used solid rivets to attach the angle to the gunnel of my boats hull. The floor and deck were secured to the framing with closed end blind rivets. All has held up great over the last 6 years.

BigTerp said:
I used aluminum angle for the framing on my boat as well. It was riveted together where needed using closed end blind rivets, and then I used solid rivets to attach the angle to the gunnel of my boats hull. The floor and deck were secured to the framing with closed end blind rivets. All has held up great over the last 6 years.

What is the advantage of closed end rivets over standard, all aluminum pop rivets? Just curious.

To the OP, I would use aluminum as well, but yes, if sealed correctly wood can last a very, very long time.

jethro said:
What is the advantage of closed end rivets over standard, all aluminum pop rivets? Just curious.

Once set, closed end rivets are much more watertight than open end rivets. They also claim their tensile strength is greater when compared to the same size open end rivet. Both reasons is why I went with closed end over open.

BigTerp said:
jethro said:

Once set, closed end rivets are much more watertight than open end rivets. They also claim their tensile strength is greater when compared to the same size open end rivet. Both reasons is why I went with closed end over open.

Oooh, I like both those reasons. I will look for them in the future.

jethro said:
Oooh, I like both those reasons. I will look for them in the future.

I don't remember exactly how much since it's been awhile since my build, but I think the closed end rivets were more expensive than regular open ended rivets. I can say that in my experience the closed end ones do seem stronger. I had to partially pull up my floor at one point, thus having to drill out some rivets. Instead of ordering more closed end rivets I picked up a pack of open ended ones from Home Depot to secure my floor back down. I've had a few (3 or 4 maybe) that the heads have sheered off in the years since, and all of them have been the open ended rivets.

Thanks for the tips guys. Great information in here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts