1436 sorta build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 24546

Reaction score
Starting a build thread for my 09 Tracker 1436. Mostly just want to keep track of what I'm doing. I plan on using this boat to motor around mosquito lagoon with my fiance and dog.

Read through the fourm a bunch before picking up this hull. Previous owner bought it new in 2008 and kept pretty good care of it.
AA30D0F9-5BF7-4826-AE35-EA81807A4E41.jpeg

I purchased the hull knowing about two pinholes that were near a rib and under the bench seat. The holes are obviously from some kind of corrosion.
5D67133E-DBEC-43E9-913A-780F704DB5E9.jpeg
EBDF4A58-948C-49A5-B9C9-399EA575BAB3.jpeg

Previous owner fished the intercoastal so initially I was thinking saltwater was the cause. As I stripped the paint off I found a few more small holes. I also noticed discoloration about 2 feet in length that almost perfectly resembles a 2x4.
89D93016-BA8F-40EC-9772-61FCF995BAF5.jpeg

Happen to know a handful of guys that weld aluminum. None em were interested in a job this small. I contacted someone I found in my area and he gave me pretty high quote for the two small holes (this was before I knew there were more). Even my future father in law didn't want to work on it lol

So I'm going to continue to strip the boat down and figure out the holes down the line.

I have fasco super slick on hand so I'll use that as an undercoating.

Floors of the jon are kind of chewed up with corrosion. It's not terrible but I'm going to be spending a bit of time making it right.

Undecided on paint for inside the boat. I know people use rubberized bedliner stuff but I'd need a reccommendation for a light (tan?) color bedliner.

Side note: I couldn't find aircraft remover anywhere near me. Guy at home depot looked at me sideways when I asked for it. Did I miss something, too many kids sniffing it or what? I ended up with klean strip paint stripper and it's a giant pain in the ***. I've used two quarts with the aid of red scotchbrite pads and I'm about 80% there.
861823AC-DE8D-441B-9A67-C99491389224.jpeg

Napa store for aircraft stripper. Nyalox brush that goes in a drill is a good helper as well. For the pinholes, I like JB weld steel stick. As a welder I also like Tig welding but it's not always the most economical choice. I've used the JB weld with good results and longevity. I keep some in my tackle box when I go on remote trips. It's the grey putty that you knead together until it's a uniform color and stick it on. Take the area down to bare aluminum first. Once that stuff dries it's hard as can be, you can sand it down a bit to smooth the profile and paint over.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Weldorthemagnificent said:
Napa store for aircraft stripper. Nyalox brush that goes in a drill is a good helper as well. For the pinholes, I like JB weld steel stick. As a welder I also like Tig welding but it's not always the most economical choice. I've used the JB weld with good results and longevity. I keep some in my tackle box when I go on remote trips. It's the grey putty that you knead together until it's a uniform color and stick it on. Take the area down to bare aluminum first. Once that stuff dries it's hard as can be, you can sand it down a bit to smooth the profile and paint over.

Weldorthemagnificent said:

Thanks for the reply Weldorthemagnificent. I'm going to pick up the JB Weld steel stick as well as some 3M 5200

Took pictures last night of the holes I'm working with.
158B6DED-D36B-4E51-B7ED-515B6E7C717B.jpeg
My dad has pop rivets that might work for me so I might try those as well. Theres at least 2 holes I won't be getting a rivet so those will get JB Weld.

Also, I've seen some pictures on here of previous owners going a little crazy with drilling holes for accessories and figured I would contribute lol
7CA6DE63-9D57-4902-8BDE-DD6EC5F28F11.jpeg
D4F96EA4-CB51-4249-A70F-4BD244C31C92.jpeg

That's all the update I have for now. Hoping to start cleaning the inside tomorrow after work.

016E8330-8C69-4E81-8903-2B4AC4C9D7EB.jpeg

Picked up a trailer for $150 yesterday after work

Needs leaf springs replaced and new bunks

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Don't forget to check the bearings.
Hopefully will be able to break it down a bit this weekend. Unfortnately don't have a garage so I have to work around the weather.

If you can't tell by now, I like threads with pictures..

3/16 x 1/8 large flange all aluminum pop rivets from Amazon. 9298370E-8D71-47D8-B853-B3A64C982048.jpeg
I'm choosing to do pop rivets because I cant reach the other side for solid rivets. I was going to buy closed end sealing rivets but the size I needed was backordered for 3 weeks on McMasterCarr.
Applying gflex epoxy before installing the rivets.E9BFA1C9-6FEF-4359-883E-4C445CF73E8F.jpeg
For the holes I had on an angle, I bent the head of the rivet with vise grips. I don't have a bench vise or ball peen hammer which I think would've made it a lot easier but I don't think I did too bad. They seemed to sit in there well. 266885AF-4001-427C-8049-6EE2D225F5AF.jpeg
Not sure what else I'm going to be able to accomplish today/this weekend. The GFlex has a long cure time and the weather looks like ****.

Also, picked up a 36x48 street sign for free. Between benches I have about 47 inches so I might get away with a minimal amount of effort. Thinking I'll attach the sign to the ribs with riv nuts(?) idk we'll see
BCABB93B-FC69-4E00-8B5C-DA53947917EF.jpeg

Latest posts