New Member/Old Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasJim

Reaction score
Hi: I bought a 1958 Blue Star 14, made in Oklahoma. to convert into a flats skiff for the Texas coast. I removed the center seat, cut the gunwales down to 2-1/2 inches above the seats, built flat front, side and rear decks, with a 3-1/2 by 5 foot open center cockpit. Trolling motor on front deck. Powered by a 1961 Johnson 5.5 Twin, until I can scrounge up an old 15-25 HP outboard. I'm trying to upload pics, but I'm Mr. Non-Geek, and it may not work. Anyway, my first post here. I've peeked in before, but didn't join till now. TexasJim in Rockport

Blue Star 14:
full-91964-9742-20190211_100515.jpg

TIN STAR:
full-91964-9743-20190416_142209.jpg

Welcome to Tinboats.
You have built a very interesting boat. Do you have any pictures of the conversion?

Ick: I've got another six pics in my phone I could e-mail to you. I was amazed I was able to post the two I did. I have in-progress pics of the deck beams, cut lines, the gunwale-ectomy, and the rough deck structure, plus a pic afloat on the maiden voyage. If you get me an e-mail addy, I'd be glad to send them to you. I've been wanting to build this boat for two years, and finally got 'er done! The deck is about 6 " wider than the old hull. Handles and drives great. I have a console with steering, if I find a bigger engine, to handle the extra weight. Thanks for the interest. TexasJim

All I can say is wow! That is quite a transformation for sure. I can only imagine the amount of work and time you have in this! I too would love to see the other pictures of the build in progress. Awesome boat brother!