New Guy from Texas with a new Alumacraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigEd313

Reaction score
Ok, I have fished for close to 50 of my 52 years on this earth. Some of my earliest memories are of cane pole fishing from the banks of creeks and slews back home in NW Florida with my dad. Fast forward to 15 years ago and I bought a place on a lake here in SE Texas. I bought an old worn out 1448 [unknown make] Jon boat and a brand spanking new 15hp Yamaha 2 stroke. I fished almost every day, man did tear up the bass out there. Then something happened, I just stopped. I had been duck hunting (we have 9 blinds out in the lake) and fishing all the time and boom, it all just stopped.
Now fast forward again, to last Wednesday. We had a lot of rain for a few days and the river was already up, so for the 5th time in 4 years we were going to flood. Before I headed off to work that morning my wife and I had a discussion about how we were going to get back and forth to our vehicles, we have to park a mile down the road and boat in and out. See, that old clapped out 1448 is just shot, corroded out everywhere and basically rotted out everywhere. I said I'd look on Craigslist for something that I can put the good motor on and she said, and I quote: "just go buy a new one, we haven't been riding around the lake in forever". She followed it up with something like "you used to love to fish all the time, you should start going again", I really don't remember anything past "just go get a new one".

So I went onto CL and looked around for another 1448 but no dice, and even with permission I wasn't going to spend $1,300-$1,500 on a new 1448. After work I went to Academy and got a brand new Alumicraft 1436, a new battery, and a bilge pump. I'll miss the width and stability of the 48 but the 1436 will be fine once I deck it out. I moved the motor to my new boat on Friday afternoon and got everything going and ready for the coming flood.......it came in faster than we've ever seen. Here's a link to my youtube time lapse of the first two hours: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuywKes2cq0 .

Saturday we went for a boat ride out to where we were parked and went "to town". "We" were looking for some wire and a fuse block, and to get out of that house and on to dry land. We ended up at Academy again and I walked out with a Lews combo, again with full permission. We headed over to Wally-world and I was looking at a trolling motor wiring kit, decided to wait until I got a trolling motor and when I hung it back up and looked down there it was! A bow mount Minn Kota Edge 45, on clearance for $140! I was in mid sentence telling her and she interrupts me with "Ed Burke, you buy that thing right now!"

So now I am going to get some aluminum angle tomorrow and when the water goes down I'll start framing it up and decking it out. I do have a question about framing though. I was planning on using two 1"x1"x1/8" riveted together (back to back in a T) for the two main deck supports, each 8.5" off center line. They would be 17" center to center, and at the back of the front deck (the widest point) they will both be 17" from center to edge. I was planning on 2 vertical supports per, right on top of the ribs. I will run more 1"x1"x1/8" down the sides, should I rivet them right to the hull? I know there's so many ways to do the framing but I am a big guy, 6'-4" and 225 pounds, so I want something that's not going to flex, and the decking will be 11/32 plywood with epoxy paint and carpet with hatches.

Lastly, this site and the videos are great! I decked the front of my old boat with a simple treated 2x4's and 3/4" plywood but the idea(s) I had in my head are all right here. Things I wanted but just wasn't sure would work out I can see plain as day that they do. Thanks for all you guys that make this site happen and for all of you that have put the results of your hard work on display, it's inspiration for me to get going on this!

Welcome BigEd! I'm from East Texas too! I really love it here. I fish every chance I can. I have a lake lot on Lake Fork so that is my main go to place. We mostly do really well on trot lines over there.

Welcome fellow Texan and congrats on reigniting a passion. It happens to many of us. I say post some pics of your current setup and sketch out what you want. I also suggest you use it a bit and see what you know you are missing (instead of guessing what you are missing).

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

hounddog said:
Welcome BigEd! I'm from East Texas too! I really love it here. I fish every chance I can. I have a lake lot on Lake Fork so that is my main go to place. We mostly do really well on trot lines over there.
My mom and I are heading to lake fork in two weeks for our first ever visit. We'll be gathering with some friends at Pope's landing and chasing crappie. Let me know if you want to meet up!

thedude said:
Welcome fellow Texan and congrats on reigniting a passion. It happens to many of us. I say post some pics of your current setup and sketch out what you want. I also suggest you use it a bit and see what you know you are missing (instead of guessing what you are missing).

After fishing the 1448 for 10+ years I know what I want, simplicity but with a few hatches. I just need to make sure the 1"x1/8" will be what I need. I saw a video of Mr. Lopez saying that he wouldn't use anything but 1-1/2x 1/16". It seems a little flimsy for the main deck supports for me. Am I just missing something? I figured that If I riveted them together back to back that would more than double the strength on a single by doubling the thickness but also by giving it less ability to flex a twist with the T shape vs the L shape.

BigEd313 said:
thedude said:

After fishing the 1448 for 10+ years I know what I want, simplicity but with a few hatches. I just need to make sure the 1"x1/8" will be what I need. I saw a video of Mr. Lopez saying that he wouldn't use anything but 1-1/2x 1/16". It seems a little flimsy for the main deck supports for me. Am I just missing something? I figured that If I riveted them together back to back that would more than double the strength on a single by doubling the thickness but also by giving it less ability to flex a twist with the T shape vs the L shape.

I would think the "T" truss shape would be stronger and would go with 1/8" too. As far as strong enough, I don't know. I'm not experienced enough to give anything other than an opinion.

Welcome BigEd313. This site is a great place to be. Texas is a great place to be, too. I live in North Houston half of each year, and TN. for the Summers. Perhaps we can have a Texas get-together sometime.

I noticed in your comments about the old boat that you used Treated Lumber. Lots of opinions, but at least I, and others, avoid treated wood with aluminum boats. I didn't see any mention of it on your new craft.

My only suggestion, since the new boat is a lot narrower than the older 1448, would be to put your deck on temporarily. Then, try a day of fishing and see if the additional tippiness is OK with you and the wife.

I am old and no longer as agile as I once was, so balance and stability are more important to me now.

regards, and welcome aboard.

richg99 said:
Welcome BigEd313. This site is a great place to be. Texas is a great place to be, too. I live in North Houston half of each year, and TN. for the Summers. Perhaps we can have a Texas get-together sometime.

I noticed in your comments about the old boat that you used Treated Lumber. Lots of opinions, but at least I, and others, avoid treated wood with aluminum boats. I didn't see any mention of it on your new craft.

My only suggestion, since the new boat is a lot narrower than the older 1448, would be to put your deck on temporarily. Then, try a day of fishing and see if the additional tippiness is OK with you and the wife.

I am old and no longer as agile as I once was, so balance and stability are more important to me now.

regards, and welcome aboard.

I live on a lake an hour south of Houston, next to the Brazos, when I get the boat finished up you're more than welcomed to come on down and fish with me.
When we retire we'll be spending summers at our place in Colorado, up until I'm done hunting elk, bear, mule deer and whatever else I can,

As far as the decks, aluminum framing and non treated plywood but I will seal it for sure. I realize, now, that the chemicals leeching out can and often do cause premature corrosion. As for the height, I have been on a buddies boat out here on our lake and his decks on a 1436 are flush with the rub rail and it wasn't bad at all, mine will be a few inches lower so I think it'll be even better.

Latest posts