shorten jon boat 2 feet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillieB

Reaction score
I WANT to convert my 12' jon boat to 10'. That's what I plan on doing. :LOL2:
I thought about cutting it across at 2 feet and moving that section back and reattaching on the inside. Or, cut back 2 feet and make an new front cap.
Are there any ideas on this subject?

reasons why, I want to load and unload by myself into small pickup. don't want it sticking out so far as a 12 footer.

Willie

Attachments

• 97636E27-193F-47D2-A753-B3A8392CDABD.jpeg
    97636E27-193F-47D2-A753-B3A8392CDABD.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 689
The width of the boat varies along it's length. Cut out 2 feet and the two halves won't match up. Sometimes, a project is fun just for the sake of doing a project. If you want a project go for it. However, if you want a shorter boat, there are easier ways.

A few ratchet straps and your 12' boat fits in any pickup truck. Even if you only have a 5' bed, with the tailgate down the boat is only going to hang out 5 to 6 feet. Hang a red flag on the back and strap it in. I have an 8 foot bed but have a tool box. We take our 12' jon boat everywhere.

I never met anyone that actually wanted a 10ft jon.... that ain't much better than a log....

look into a rooftop / trailer hitch carrier..
https://www.etrailer.com/Watersport-Carriers/Darby/DTA944-968-924.html

Shaugh said:
I never met anyone that actually wanted a 10ft jon.... that ain't much better than a log....

LOL!

You can get a new 10 ft for about $500 - maybe sell your 12 for $250-$300 and figure out a way to come up with the extra?

Having had a 10 foot jon, I strongly recommend keeping the 12 ft. boat.

With the 10 foot, I was less "out in the boat" and more "waiting to get wet."

And don't even get me started on "tippy."

Be well and safe.

Latest posts