STARCRAFT SuperSport16 to be CONVERTED to a SPORTSMAN

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satx78247

Reaction score
Friends,

As I said elsewhere this week, I bought a 16 foot STARCRAFT 1973 SUPERSPORT tin boat, "for peanuts" & on a good DILLY trailer.
(Supposedly, the hull's seats & interior was removed & stored BUT I found out this PM that the seats, etc. have been "tossed out".)

The PO offered to refund my money but, after thinking it over & looking at the period photos on www.fiberglassics.com, I've decided to keep the hull/trailer & CONVERT the boat to a "somewhat bigger" STARCRAFT SPORTSMAN, which is a BIG, open, fishing machine for BIG LAKES & SALTWATER.

My inclination as of today is to:
1. Finish stripping everything that is "removable" out of the hull,
2. Tear out the carpet/flooring & replace the "waterlogged" foam flotation,
3. Replace the current "soft" floors & worn-out carpeting with MDO & some sort of "saltwater fishing friendly" anti-slip material that won't "catch" fishhooks or absorb fish blood & that will be easy to keep clean,
4. Find/Install a center console with steering system & seat OR make one from wood/epoxy,
5. Find/Install other suitable seating from stem to stern,
6. Install fishing rod holders,
7. Find/Install a suitable 60-75 HP "Johnnyrude" outboard, controls & fuel tanks,
8. Install my "garage sale" VHF marine radio, with marine antenna,
9. Buy/Install a suitable "marine quality" stereo with CD player
and
10. Refinish every part of the hull's interior.

With any luck at all, the conversion into a dedicated saltwater fishing machine will be completed by this Fall.

Wish me luck on my first complete boat conversion project.==== Advice on completing my 1st conversion is WELCOME & SOLICITED.
(I've done several restorations to "factory stock" over the last 4+ decades but this will be a more ambitious project.)

yours, tex

Weldorthemagnificient; Dale H,

The NEXT person who mentions pictures, inasmuch as I've repeatedly said that I do NOT know photography NOR how to post photos, OWES ME a CASE of MODELO NEGRO.
(My old BROWNIE KODAK is about the limit of my photo-making ability.)

In this case, I do NOT even have the "stripped-down" boat in my possession, to make photos of, if I knew how. NOR do I know when I'll be able to go to Georgetown, TX to pick it up..
(Essentially, San Antonio has been LOCKED DOWN by our MORONIC MAYOR. = He is a DUNCE of the FIRST CLASS, who reportedly believes that NEWLYWEDS should "observe social separation" to prevent infecting each other..)

Once I actually have the boat/trailer, I'll see if I can get my adult daughter to make & post photos BUT only after I get it cleaned-up to some degree.
(The boat has been sitting out in a pasture, LOOKING UNLOVED, for several years.)

ONE bit of GOOD NEWS: This afternoon, I learned of a COMPLETELY REBUILT & RESTORED 60HP JOHNSON OB, that is for sale at a LOW PRICE to power the boat. = The old Johnson is a Model VX-13 & made in 1967, according to the OMC data plate.

yours, tex

If you have a smartphone, download the Tapatalk app. It's free. Super easy to post pics from your phone. Stay safe.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Weldorthemagnificient,

My cellphone was ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT on the TITANIC. = It hardly does VOICEMAIL & does NOT even do texting very well.

I'm a throwback to a decade before all this new-fangled stuff. = Fwiw, my TV is a over 20YO SONY, which still works.
Also, I drive a 28YO Lincoln Town Car that runs FINE... I carry a WWII-era Colt's handgun, as I trust it.
Frankly, I prefer to spend my limited funds on vintage boats, OB motors & antique cars.
(Right now, I'm looking at buying an original 1915 Model T Ford roadster.)

yours, tex

To All,

As I've said elsewhere on the forum, I'm seeking a suitable side console for the project of converting the SUPERSPORTS into a saltwater fishing machine.

IF you happen to have a suitable aluminum console that is surplus to your needs OR plans for a homebrewed one, please advise me by PM.

THANKS.

yours, tex