Alumacraft V16 Lunker Refurb - 25 hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SenorL

Reaction score
This is a 1992 Alumacraft with a 1990 25 hp Johnson outboard. It has not been used in 12 years and has been in mid Virginia weather the entire time. My initial assessment: The entire plywood floor is rotten and needs to be replaced. The transom appears solid (sounded with a plastic mallet it rings ok). The outboard was flushed with freshwater when it was used in saltwater, and does not have a lot of hours. I added light oil to the cylinders but have not tried to turn it over yet. My plan is to strip the plywood and replace with epoxy coated and rebuild the trailer. The outboard is the big concern.

Questions: 1. I will use marine plywood and coat with epoxy. Can I paint over the epoxy, or can I get colored epoxy? 2. Should I check the hull for leaks? 3. The foam inspected so far seems solid with a bit of softening at the very bottom. Should I replace it? 4. What is the best paint for the trailer which is showing a bit of rust here and there. 5. What are my chances of restoring the outboard to good reliability short of major work and much money?

Attachments

• Alumacraft LunkerV16 1992.JPG
    Alumacraft LunkerV16 1992.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 437
  • 25 hp Johnson OMC.JPG
    25 hp Johnson OMC.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 436
  • Console.JPG
    Console.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 437
  • Floor1.JPG
    Floor1.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 437
  • Floor2.JPG
    Floor2.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 437
  • Motor1.JPG
    Motor1.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 436
  • Motor2.JPG
    Motor2.JPG
  • Motor3.JPG
    Motor3.JPG
  • Motor4.JPG
    Motor4.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 436
  • Transom.JPG
    Transom.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 437
If you don't take the time to check for leaks now while it's apart, you may have to fix leaks without access to both sides of the rivets.as for that motor, you may be surprised. Dump some 2 cycle oil down the spark plug holes and pull it over to get everything oiled up. It may just need a carb clean and an impeller. De carbonizing an old engine with seafoam or omc tune-up spray is a good idea too. Once you get it turning freely, check compression, spark etc. Good luck!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Those Johnson/ Evinrude motors of those vintage are work horses. Bet dollars to donuts it will run. If a visual inspection is ok and no water in the lower unit your probably ok. If it was me before dropping any money
Check compression if it’s ok I would replace
1 water pump
2- t stat
3-plugs
4-wires
5- fuel pump
If the motor has no been run on a longgggg time
These are the most important things
I just got a 1985 40 horse Evinrude that was a true basket case
And it’s alive and well and runs like a top so as long as the basics are ok and the power head is ok it’s a motor and all a motor wants to do is run so you’ll more than likely be ok.

Latest posts