King starboard: has anyone used it

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stomper

Reaction score
I have been looking for some time now at hatches for my new Lund ssv and have found some nice ones but the prices put them way out of my budget, especially since most of them are from the US and getting them into Canada isn’t an option. I have recently found boatoutfitters.com and really like some of their stuff but again cost is the issue. They make their stuff out of King’s Starboard plastic material. It is a stable and UV resistant and is supposed to be similar to working with wood and can be cut and shaped with woodworking tools. This solves a huge problem that I have been having because I have all the tools from when I built my kitchen cabinets and countertops. Has anyone had any experience working with Starboard that can share your thoughts on it. It even comes in dolphin gray that would match the inside of my boat.
I may have put this in the wrong section. Feel free to move it to the boat house section.

I use it in various applications. It does cut/work easy. I have used it to replace hatch covers and it works great. Try a plastics distributor, as you might get cut cut-off pieces close to the size needed, as well as another ‘super plastic’ like CPG Seaboard - same material, different Mfgr’rs name for it, but less expensive. King Starboard sure doesn’t give their product away cheaply.

Or, could you buy pieces on eBay and have it shipped north?

I would never use it for structural purposes, i.e., to replace plywood for strength.

Does work like a soft wood. Needs to be screwed together,as nothing sticks to it. Supposedly 3m makes a glue that some have used,but I screwed mine together with stainless. Even mortised some joints. Have done quite a bit with it on my toon. If it's not aluminum,it's king starboard. Some of it 8-9 yrs old. Still looks good after being exposed to the elements. Sets outside yr round. You can find deals on drops at ebay.

I have made various things from the stuff. Most recently I used it to fabricate some curved shims for my bow mounted trolling motor. I am fairly comfortable cutting compound angles from my woodworking experience. These were interesting because they were compound curves.

Anyway, I can't really add anything to what Bmac or DaleH said. They are right on. Your woodworking skills will work fine with King starboard. But glue joints, I personally wouldn't count on it.

Thanks for the replies guys. If I decide to use some of it it would definately be screwed.

Latest posts