I got my pedestal seats installed in my jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FigNewton

Reaction score
First I cut 1/4" thick aluminum plate the size I needed on my table saw. After drilling and countersinking the holes in the plate I sanded them.

50237853746_7016a283d3_c.jpg

I then drilled the ribs in my boat and inserted Riv-Nuts.

50237214303_510656b5e2_c.jpg

I cut closed cell foam to fit under the aluminum plates. I did that so that things like pliers, flashlights, etc wouldn't roll under the plates and make it difficult to retrieve. It also added a small amount of extra flotation. I had to cut a small amount on the bottom of the foam to allow for the part of the rib where it's riveted to the boat.

50238080282_2f1dde0f26_c.jpg

This is how they look installed. I sprayed aluminum etching primer on the plates and then coated them with Krylon satin Italian olive. Doesn't match very well so I'm going to repaint them with Lowe jon boat paint. But I can't recoat it for 30 days according to instructions on the can.

50238080852_9667efdc57_c.jpg

I gave $90.00 for 2 - 24" x 24" 1/4" thick aluminum. If I had shopped around I probably could have gotten them a little less exensive.

I did mine the same way except I haven't installed the foam yet. I like using the rattle can paint myself. That way if it needs touched up it's just a squirt away! My boat is 50 inches wide at the bottom so a piece of 4 foot wide aluminum fits between the ribs really well but it makes it a real bear to get anything dropped on the sides. I haven't used any foam yet because I'm still mulling over how to make it look decent.