Possible 1st time project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janichols

Reaction score
So I think I’m gonna bite the bullet and do a conversion. Found a boat on craigslist 1983 mirror craft 14 foot Deep v 63 inches of crossed. Will be looking to do modifications to make more accessible for my fishing partner. My goal is to get her out on the water as often as many years we possibly can.

Here’s the link for the boat.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/boa/d/prospect-deep-14-0-ft-mirrocraft-1983/7203552345.html

I would truly appreciate honest opinion if this would have potential. Of course limited budget, but make up for that with determination to get her on the water. So thanks for any help in advance. Think minimum of aluminum frame out floor and front and back casting deck with pedestal seats and of course railing/bar for access/stability! Thanks again- i truly enjoy seeing all the wonderful miss you achieve!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like it has been well cared for. I have owned several boats similar. Too high a deck can make them tippier. I am a fan of "Drop in floor boards" pieces cut with appropriate stringers on the bottom to fit between the seats and give a flat surface to stand on. Add too much weight and it hurts performance and even ability to plane. Unless hp restrictions on local waters, I'd be looking for more oomph.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Thank you- I guess casting deck may be wrong term- thinking of a flat area to have easy access into boat and a seat. Height of deck area probably same as the bench seat

I have that same boat except built in 1980 with a 1999 Yamaha 25hp 4 stroke on it and console helm.

I will be doing a conversion this winter to make it more suitable for the type of lakes / fishing we do.

Just my opinion here. Whenever I see alot of spray paint and overspray on everything it leads me to believe someone is trying to cover up an unsightly mess. Which will eventually come back out over time. I think for the price you could land yourself a much better deal in the winter months. The trailer tires are pretty small as well so highway speeds for long trips or if you load the boat for camping may become an issue. Looks like its the same age as the boat! Also, I'd never leave a battery on the ground without a piece of wood or something under it?

Far as a casting deck I think you have the right idea. I built one forward of the front seat on my boat and most people climb in/out through there even for the heavier/older folks! I generally try to pull up on the beach and leave the dock to bigger boats. Im not a fan of climbing on/off a dock in a small boat.

Anyway... just my honest opinion. Good luck!

Thank you so much! These are the times I truly miss my dad! We would have had all the answers for me!