Jon boat flooring

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vman24

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,
Need some advice. I have been doing some research regarding modifying jon boas. Recently got a new Lowe L1440M. First step is to put a floor over the ribs in the main section. I am planning to get some closed cell foam, cut in strips to put between the ribs. Trying to decide on what to use on top. Maybe 1/2" plywood painted with enamel based paint, then covered with either carpet or sea dek. Really like the army camo sea dek. Or should I get pvc board either in 1/2" or 3/8" if they have it. My understanding is that you can paint pvc board. Obviously PVC board will last forever where as plywood will not. If I go the plywood route, I think I will make it removeable - just planning to lay it in and cut notches for the ribs and remove in the winter. Any advice on which to use? I am trying to keep this strong and as light as I can go. Need to make a lightweight frame for the casting deck as well but not there yet. Thank you.

How are you planning on storing the boat? If it is going to be inside or covered well from moisture, then plywood will last a very long time if sealed well.

If the boat wiil be sitting uncovered in the rain, or moored, then a synthetic material would be the way to go.

There are a half dozen fishing boats in my neighborhood, uncovered & full of snow!

I got a Lowe 1240 recently and put in T&G cedar 1x6 boards with 3 coats of exterior poly and set on boards of the same material between the ribs. Look nice and can be lifted up and removed easily which was a requirement for me to get under it to get hooks, lures and tools out when they slide in the wrong place. Cedar is a soft wood so you don't want to drop your 70 lb battery on it but other than that it's very functional. Had it out today breaking in a new Merc 15 hp 4 stroke that belongs on my 12' Duroboat and the thing flies at 3/4 throttle with just me in it. I have a 9.9 Tahatsu with electric start on order and should be here in Oct just in time for cold weather in Northern Idaho. It will most likely wait until Spring for break in time. The other advantage to cedar is the light weight. Good luck with yours and stay safe!!

I had a 14' Applebee jon boat for years and did a floor in it that lasted for ever.
Closed cell blue or pink foam between the rips and then Alum over it. I'm can't remember the thickness. I cut it to fit on the sides and it layed pretty flat . I then riveted it down with large head rivets and air riveter. I then put indoor outdoor astro turf carpet on it. If I were to do it again I would use this new Vinyl flooring like Lund or Alumacraft boats have on their boats .
Good Luck !!

Latest posts