Jon boat seating ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmerck

Reaction score
My jon boat is past due for an upgrade in seating. It`s an older model Loweline with metal bench seating.

I`ve selected the actual seat I want but I`ve noticed there are a few options on mounting the seat to the bench.

1. https://www.amazon.com/ECONOMY-JON-B.../dp/B006MIXO4S Is a clamp that fits over the bench

2. Is just buying the swivel bracket and screwing it directly into the aluminum bench.

Anyone have thoughts as to what they prefer?
Thanks to all who reply

On my little 12' jon boat, we have the clamps that fit over the seats like your photo. They have a clip that holds the front and back of the clamp so it can't move. The clip is screwed into the front and rear of the seat. They work fine. Without those clips, I think the seat would be prone to fall off of the bench.

On our bigger 17' jon boat I bolted the swivel right to the bench and that works fine too and it's much easier with less parts.

Screwing to the bench is liable to pull free. Even if it doesn't you run the risk of cracking the aluminum as the seat strains and flexes the benchtop. There are ways to support the backside, but they're all more work than it's worth IMO unless you're trying to add a pedestal.

I've used the clamp on ones too, they work, you just need to make yourself a 'T' handle out of PVC to be able to reach between the seat and the bench and be able to tighten the wingnuts.

I run the receiver brackets for the swivel mounts on my rear bench so the seat can easily be removed. Lift a lever in the front and the swivel slides out of the receiver. It's the lowest profile locking removable setup I know of and quite stable.

That's the only traditional boat seat I use on my boat. The seats I use for fishing are camping chairs. They're more comfortable and easier to position in the open floor plan boats I use.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I've used the clamp on ones too, they work, you just need to make yourself a 'T' handle out of PVC to be able to reach between the seat and the bench and be able to tighten the wingnuts.
[/quote]

I had those seat bases, they worked good, plus I could move them if I needed. Just make a tee handle like onthewater said.. I trimmed of the excess all thread too, but you’ll still need the pvc t-handle once the seat is placed on the bench they are a pain to reach.

I got rid of mine and just installed seat post mounts. Without securing them to the bench they pop off easily.

If you go with the seat clamp you can also use a lashing strap and find a place to route the strap under neath the bench it will really help secure the seat. Can also use a ratchet strap put the lashing are pretty cheap and a smaller buckle. If you look at the attached pic you can see the front left seat with an orange strap. As an FYI i swapped it out for a beige one to match better 8)

Best,
Greg

Attachments

• lashing strap boat seat secure.jpg
    lashing strap boat seat secure.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 363