New fishing platform for a trio of old guys

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skanders01

Reaction score
looking for suggestions for a new boat to restore, older or newer, doesn't matter. What does matter is hat whatever it is, me and my two old fishing buddies don't have enough room in my 15' deep vee any more....not to nimble. We only fish small lakes and the missippi backwaters, so I was thinking about a mod-v jon, 17' or 18', tiller steer. Any thoughts? Recommendations? Just a nice big roomy stable fishing platform basically with three pedistal seats. Big issue is that there are very few of these available in the 10 - 20 year old range in good shape for reasonable prices. Anyway, TIA for any input.

I'd look for a used deck boat if it were me. Plenty of room for lots of seating and everything else for that matter. You can get hulls for around 3,500 to 6,000 but that's without a motor. They'll range in size from 19 foot to 22 foot for the most common sizes. I don't think you'll be able to use tiller steer though.

I like eeshaw's idea but you could also look for a older pontoon boat, Not sure if that would suit your needs/wants or not. I rebuilt a bontoon boat a few years ago and they are actualy easy to do. It was the standard pontoon boat with the perimeter seating and stuff. I would love to get ahold of another one and fix it up for strictly fishing with all pedistool seats. I would also put the console in the middle so that you could walk around the whole perimeter of the boat. Would be tons of room and a great boat for spending the whole day on. They can be found real cheap in most areas.
This is to the extreme and is a super sweet boat but gives you an idea of what I am talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG3z-Qhgkds

Latest posts