1976 Polar Kraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldbomb79

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the site. I've been browsing a bunch of threads the past few days trying to get some ideas, and see some repair options for my new to me boat. A coworker wanted to get rid of of his jon boat (i think it was more like his wife wanted it gone) and asked if I'd be interested. I just couldn't pass up it being free. I slapped some new wheels/tires on it and made the voyage to my house to start working on it. I know the transom wood is going to need to be replaced. I also have ripped out the carpet(what didn't fall apart in my hands). I would rather not put carpet back in, but the glue removal looks like it's going to be a big task. I also noticed it has more foam by the transom than most jon boats I've saw on here. I've found a couple that look similar to mine, but not many. Oh it also came with an extra trolling motor and a 9.5hp evinrude. I plan on setting it up for fishing, so I'll be adding some sort of decking to the front.

Attachments

• boat6.png
    boat6.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 342
I pulled the cover off and the engine is surprisingly clean. It hasn't been ran in 4-5 years, but I'm guessing more like 7 because that's the last time the boat had the indiana stamp on it. What all would you recommend doing before trying to start it. I'm guessing I should probably pull the carb off and clean/rebuild it. Should I rebuild the fuel pump too or?

Attachments

• engine.png
    engine.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 152
goldbomb79 said:
I pulled the cover off and the engine is surprisingly clean. It hasn't been ran in 4-5 years, but I'm guessing more like 7 because that's the last time the boat had the indiana stamp on it. What all would you recommend doing before trying to start it. I'm guessing I should probably pull the carb off and clean/rebuild it. Should I rebuild the fuel pump too or?
I have 2 of those 9.5's. That motor looks very clean. I would change the plugs to Champion J4C. Look at the plugs to see if they have rust just be sure water didn't get in the cylinders. I would spray some lubricant like Deep Creep in the cylinders too. Turn the motor over a few times, and let it soak at least for a few days before starting. Also change the water pump impeller. The thermostat cover is held in by three bolts, pop it off and take a look at the thermostat. I would go ahead and replace it too. Cheap insurance. Check out Lee Roys Ramblings website, 9.5 HP section.

-Kurt

Thats a good base for a boat considering today's covid-19 pricing !

When diving into an unknown motor, i would visually inspect the cylinders for scoring with a small flashlight and then check compression. If your above 80 ( not ideal, but acceptable) then its worth going further. Check for spark, if good then spray gas mix into the carb to see if it fires. From there you can take the carb apart and at least clean it. If you have no spark, you will need to troubleshoot why.
Some will say go buy a carb kit and water pump right from the start, which isn't bad advise... but I try to do what I can before investing money. You don't want to spend $100 on said parts, then find out the cylinders are scored and the crank is pooched, and its going to now cost more than what it's worth.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Latest posts