Alumacraft Transom Cap

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remington351

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I need some help with my 1980's Alumacraft Lunker rebuild. I need to replace the transom board, but am not sure how to remove the cap. The transom is a solid, single sheet of 3/16 aluminum with this 6 inch board at the top as shown. The cap seems to be spot welded to the transom. Do I dremel off under these indents? Air chisel? Drill? Other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_6100.JPG
IMG_6101.JPG
IMG_6107.JPG
IMG_6103.JPG
IMG_6106.JPG

Yeah a lot of these old boats weren't built with transom replacement in mind. Sometimes surgery is required. I've had to cut caps off before. Just costs a bit to have a local welder put it back together.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

There is an inexpensive "spot weld cutter" tool that is basically a 3/8 inch hole saw, usually used to remove spot welds during classic car restorations. I used these to cut out over 150 spot welds on a Mercury Cougar. Works great on auto steel, should breeze thru aluminum.

Available thru most auto parts stores or Harbor Freight.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7703841?partTypeName=Spot+Weld+Removal+Tool&impressionRank=1&keywordInput=spot+weld+cutter

Latest posts