It is currently 20 Mar 2019, 09:42
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

Fiberglasssupplydepot

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Backup Win / Dos script
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 11:42 

All my professional and personal life I've been using RAID, as well as cloned drives, and daily a backup script to keep my ~120 gigs of
personal files safe from system related problems.

For operating system level backup I use drive cloning monthly or less frequently if no software her been updated, but daily I use a Win/Dos backup script / batch file I wrote to copy and maintain an up to date backup of my data.

I developed this file many years ago while working at IBM and a RAID development lab to quickly make off line backups of data that is irreplaceable.

If anyone on this board feels they have an inadequate (or worse still non existent) backup plan, AND has some familiarity with DOS level scripting PM me and I will either email the file or attach it to a reply here, the text file is rather small.

Gary (in South Florida)

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 15:34 

Here's a screenshot of it.

bakitup2_screenshot.jpg

Gary (in South Florida)

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2019, 01:31 

Well, I barely understand, but do have a question. Where do the backed up files reside?

I use a MacBook so this Windows/DOS script is not likely to help me. Currently I back up to iCloud. An issue I have is that it is a snapshot backup instead of a vault, so to speak. For example if I delete photos from my MacBook, they are deleted from the cloud. I want something that will save photos I want to keep even if I clear them from my MacBook or iPhone.

I guess I need an external storage device that will allow me to pick and choose files I might want save or retrieve.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2019, 06:34 

LDUBS wrote:
Well, I barely understand, but do have a question. Where do the backed up files reside?

I use a MacBook so this Windows/DOS script is not likely to help me. Currently I back up to iCloud. An issue I have is that it is a snapshot backup instead of a vault, so to speak. For example if I delete photos from my MacBook, they are deleted from the cloud. I want something that will save photos I want to keep even if I clear them from my MacBook or iPhone.

I guess I need an external storage device that will allow me to pick and choose files I might want save or retrieve.

Sorry, Macs aren't likely a candidate unless you can get a Mac/DOS emulator that supports NTFS on an external drive to work with it. But in your case I'd STRONGLY recommend that you organize your personal files in one location / folder and drag said folder regularly to an external drive for safekeeping.

This script will back up to any drive mappable under Windows, whether it's a rotating SATA, SSD or thumb drive, fixed in the system or removable it doesn't care. You should also be able to use a mapped rewriteable CD that hasn't been closed / locked for write. But, I have not tested it. As of this date, Android phones no longer allow the user to map an internal disk on the phone to a Windows drive so copies to a phone must be made via drag and drop.

This script also doesn't care about drive coherency meaning if you delete files on your PC they are not deleted on the backup EVER. You have to delete them yourself as I do not lock copied files for write / erase.

Here's an example of typical use:

Hard drive files:

My document 1 (changed / updated)
My document 2 (deleted)
My document 3 (unchanged)

Backup drive files:

My document 1 (updated by date/time)
My document 2 (retained...not deleted)
My document 3 (unchanged)

PS, It will NOT write anything to the C: drive other than two small text files to keep track of the last backup date as well as a temporary file that disallows running two instances of the same script simultaneously. That is unless the person who receives it changes it do so something like (shudder) restore files.

Gary (in South Florida)

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]