Backup Win / Dos script

Computer questions, Gaming systems, TV's and anything electronic can go here.
User avatar
gnappi
Posts: 589
Joined: 08 May 2017, 21:42
Location: Southeast Florida (Tri county)

Backup Win / Dos script

Post by gnappi » 14 Mar 2019, 11:42

All my professional and personal life I've been using RAID, as well as cloned drives, and daily a backup script to keep my ~120 gigs of
personal files safe from system related problems.

For operating system level backup I use drive cloning monthly or less frequently if no software her been updated, but daily I use a Win/Dos backup script / batch file I wrote to copy and maintain an up to date backup of my data.

I developed this file many years ago while working at IBM and a RAID development lab to quickly make off line backups of data that is irreplaceable.

If anyone on this board feels they have an inadequate (or worse still non existent) backup plan, AND has some familiarity with DOS level scripting PM me and I will either email the file or attach it to a reply here, the text file is rather small.
Regards,

Gary (in South Florida)

Xtremeboats
User avatar
gnappi
Posts: 589
Joined: 08 May 2017, 21:42
Location: Southeast Florida (Tri county)

Backup Win / Dos script

Post by gnappi » 14 Mar 2019, 15:34

Here's a screenshot of it.
bakitup2_screenshot.jpg
Regards,

Gary (in South Florida)

User avatar
LDUBS
Posts: 2122
Joined: 14 Aug 2016, 22:25
Location: Clayton California

Backup Win / Dos script

Post by LDUBS » 15 Mar 2019, 01:31

Well, I barely understand, but do have a question. Where do the backed up files reside?

I use a MacBook so this Windows/DOS script is not likely to help me. Currently I back up to iCloud. An issue I have is that it is a snapshot backup instead of a vault, so to speak. For example if I delete photos from my MacBook, they are deleted from the cloud. I want something that will save photos I want to keep even if I clear them from my MacBook or iPhone.

I guess I need an external storage device that will allow me to pick and choose files I might want save or retrieve.
Have Rod - Will Fish

User avatar
gnappi
Posts: 589
Joined: 08 May 2017, 21:42
Location: Southeast Florida (Tri county)

Backup Win / Dos script

Post by gnappi » 15 Mar 2019, 06:34

LDUBS wrote:Well, I barely understand, but do have a question. Where do the backed up files reside?

I use a MacBook so this Windows/DOS script is not likely to help me. Currently I back up to iCloud. An issue I have is that it is a snapshot backup instead of a vault, so to speak. For example if I delete photos from my MacBook, they are deleted from the cloud. I want something that will save photos I want to keep even if I clear them from my MacBook or iPhone.

I guess I need an external storage device that will allow me to pick and choose files I might want save or retrieve.
Sorry, Macs aren't likely a candidate unless you can get a Mac/DOS emulator that supports NTFS on an external drive to work with it. But in your case I'd STRONGLY recommend that you organize your personal files in one location / folder and drag said folder regularly to an external drive for safekeeping.

This script will back up to any drive mappable under Windows, whether it's a rotating SATA, SSD or thumb drive, fixed in the system or removable it doesn't care. You should also be able to use a mapped rewriteable CD that hasn't been closed / locked for write. But, I have not tested it. As of this date, Android phones no longer allow the user to map an internal disk on the phone to a Windows drive so copies to a phone must be made via drag and drop.

This script also doesn't care about drive coherency meaning if you delete files on your PC they are not deleted on the backup EVER. You have to delete them yourself as I do not lock copied files for write / erase.

Here's an example of typical use:

Hard drive files:

My document 1 (changed / updated)
My document 2 (deleted)
My document 3 (unchanged)

Backup drive files:

My document 1 (updated by date/time)
My document 2 (retained...not deleted)
My document 3 (unchanged)

PS, It will NOT write anything to the C: drive other than two small text files to keep track of the last backup date as well as a temporary file that disallows running two instances of the same script simultaneously. That is unless the person who receives it changes it do so something like (shudder) restore files.
Regards,

Gary (in South Florida)

el_cheapo
Posts: 56
Joined: 11 Apr 2016, 15:24
Location: Western mo

Backup Win / Dos script

Post by el_cheapo » 20 Mar 2019, 15:00

gnappi wrote:All my professional and personal life I've been using RAID, as well as cloned drives, and daily a backup script to keep my ~120 gigs of
personal files safe from system related problems.

For operating system level backup I use drive cloning monthly or less frequently if no software her been updated, but daily I use a Win/Dos backup script / batch file I wrote to copy and maintain an up to date backup of my data.

I developed this file many years ago while working at IBM and a RAID development lab to quickly make off line backups of data that is irreplaceable.

If anyone on this board feels they have an inadequate (or worse still non existent) backup plan, AND has some familiarity with DOS level scripting PM me and I will either email the file or attach it to a reply here, the text file is rather small.

I feel like there is going to be an incredibly small percentage of people that have familiarity with DOS scripting/batch files and also have inadequate backups, AND are concerned about it. It's kind of like asking how many master mechanics don't change, or have their oil changed in their own vehicles.

That being said there's a ton of free, even open source software out there that's going to be less intimidating/more user friendly for the average computer user. I wish I could remember the particular one I'm using at home to make incremental backups daily.

User avatar
Ebug
Posts: 121
Joined: 31 May 2013, 15:51
Location: Boerne, TX

Re: Backup Win / Dos script

Post by Ebug » 21 Mar 2019, 08:44

Thank you for making this post. Lord knows I have had my share of hard drive failures over the years that have led to precious data loss.

I have not programmed DOS since the early 80's so I would need a serious refresher course to get this implemented.

Is the amount of work required beyond the scope of creating a tutorial?

I know I would be willing to compensate your time to a degree for the effort.

Sideline question on data backup. How safe is cloud based storage in general? After my most recent forced Windows re-install I started uploading some of my hobby files to Google Drive but do not trust any of my personal data up there.

Thank you
RobT

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

User avatar
LDUBS
Posts: 2122
Joined: 14 Aug 2016, 22:25
Location: Clayton California

Backup Win / Dos script

Post by LDUBS » 21 Mar 2019, 11:48

gnappi wrote:

But in your case I'd STRONGLY recommend that you organize your personal files in one location / folder and drag said folder regularly to an external drive for safekeeping.
I was at Costco the other day with Mrs Ldubs. Saw this and confirmed it is compatible with my version of OS. I think my storage size needs are relatively small compared to most. Would something like this be a good candidate for an external drive?

I feel like a dinosaur when it comes to this stuff. Thanks again for sharing and helping.

Larry

Edit -- forgot the pic (oops!)
IMG_2398.jpg
IMG_2398.jpg (34.14 KiB) Viewed 670 times
Have Rod - Will Fish

el_cheapo
Posts: 56
Joined: 11 Apr 2016, 15:24
Location: Western mo

Backup Win / Dos script

Post by el_cheapo » 25 Mar 2019, 08:48

LDUBS wrote:
gnappi wrote:

But in your case I'd STRONGLY recommend that you organize your personal files in one location / folder and drag said folder regularly to an external drive for safekeeping.
I was at Costco the other day with Mrs Ldubs. Saw this and confirmed it is compatible with my version of OS. I think my storage size needs are relatively small compared to most. Would something like this be a good candidate for an external drive?

I feel like a dinosaur when it comes to this stuff. Thanks again for sharing and helping.

Larry

Edit -- forgot the pic (oops!)
IMG_2398.jpg
5 Terabytes is actually pretty huge, I would be shocked if you needed more and also were not aware that you had tons of data. To put it in practical terms the common unit of measurement programs use/ we see files described as is in MB, a fair quality photo is probably in the 1.5 MB range, text files, excel sheets, general documents are typically less. So if you put 1,048,576 MB together it's considered a Terabyte. That drive will store five of those.

2 Hours of high quality video (1080 p) is about 4 Gigabytes, there are 1024 gigabytes in a Terabyte, so even if you have a bunch of movies ripped to your PC or home videos you're still likely good.

User avatar
LDUBS
Posts: 2122
Joined: 14 Aug 2016, 22:25
Location: Clayton California

Backup Win / Dos script

Post by LDUBS » 25 Mar 2019, 15:27

el_cheapo wrote:
5 Terabytes is actually pretty huge, I would be shocked if you needed more and also were not aware that you had tons of data. To put it in practical terms the common unit of measurement programs use/ we see files described as is in MB, a fair quality photo is probably in the 1.5 MB range, text files, excel sheets, general documents are typically less. So if you put 1,048,576 MB together it's considered a Terabyte. That drive will store five of those.

2 Hours of high quality video (1080 p) is about 4 Gigabytes, there are 1024 gigabytes in a Terabyte, so even if you have a bunch of movies ripped to your PC or home videos you're still likely good.
Thanks. This really helps. My photos are all from a cell phone and reduced to small sizes. Don't have any large video or movie files and otherwise just a random assortment of doc's, spreadsheets, and PDF's. Sounds like this product will more than meet my needs.
Have Rod - Will Fish

el_cheapo
Posts: 56
Joined: 11 Apr 2016, 15:24
Location: Western mo

Backup Win / Dos script

Post by el_cheapo » 25 Mar 2019, 17:41

LDUBS wrote:
el_cheapo wrote:
5 Terabytes is actually pretty huge, I would be shocked if you needed more and also were not aware that you had tons of data. To put it in practical terms the common unit of measurement programs use/ we see files described as is in MB, a fair quality photo is probably in the 1.5 MB range, text files, excel sheets, general documents are typically less. So if you put 1,048,576 MB together it's considered a Terabyte. That drive will store five of those.

2 Hours of high quality video (1080 p) is about 4 Gigabytes, there are 1024 gigabytes in a Terabyte, so even if you have a bunch of movies ripped to your PC or home videos you're still likely good.
Thanks. This really helps. My photos are all from a cell phone and reduced to small sizes. Don't have any large video or movie files and otherwise just a random assortment of doc's, spreadsheets, and PDF's. Sounds like this product will more than meet my needs.

The backup software that comes with it probably isn't too bad, if it tells you it's a trail or wants to ask for credit card info let me know and I'll look into the freebies, there's too much good software out there for free at this point to bother paying for one.

Or you could just drag and drop your files every week or so, and either write over the old ones or make a new folder every week and eventually delete the oldest ones, that's basically what these softwares are doing. It's just if it's not on an automated timer we tend to forget ourselves.

el_cheapo
Posts: 56
Joined: 11 Apr 2016, 15:24
Location: Western mo

Re: Backup Win / Dos script

Post by el_cheapo » 25 Mar 2019, 17:47

Ebug wrote:Thank you for making this post. Lord knows I have had my share of hard drive failures over the years that have led to precious data loss.

I have not programmed DOS since the early 80's so I would need a serious refresher course to get this implemented.

Is the amount of work required beyond the scope of creating a tutorial?

I know I would be willing to compensate your time to a degree for the effort.

Sideline question on data backup. How safe is cloud based storage in general? After my most recent forced Windows re-install I started uploading some of my hobby files to Google Drive but do not trust any of my personal data up there.

Thank you
RobT

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Semi safe, google themselves undoubtedly has your data on a server with raid meaning every file is on multiple hard drives so if one dies they just pop it out and replace it, then it recreates the raid. They also would have an offsite backup of that so basically the same thing in 2 places seperated geographically. THEY will never lose your data.

But they may cut your access to it at some point beyond your control. Generally only heard of this happening if you store copywrited material with them (ebooks music movies etc.) but they don't owe you anything and we can't see what they'll do in the future.

User avatar
gnappi
Posts: 589
Joined: 08 May 2017, 21:42
Location: Southeast Florida (Tri county)

Re: Backup Win / Dos script

Post by gnappi » 26 Mar 2019, 22:25

Ebug wrote:Thank you for making this post. Lord knows I have had my share of hard drive failures over the years that have led to precious data loss.

I have not programmed DOS since the early 80's so I would need a serious refresher course to get this implemented.

Is the amount of work required beyond the scope of creating a tutorial?

I know I would be willing to compensate your time to a degree for the effort.

Sideline question on data backup. How safe is cloud based storage in general? After my most recent forced Windows re-install I started uploading some of my hobby files to Google Drive but do not trust any of my personal data up there.

Thank you
RobT
Cloud backup is pretty safe from destruction / loss, how safe it is from eyes who may have access to the encryption algorithms I cannot say.

From what I know about most if not all cloud storage, they adhere to strict data coherency, meaning if you delete at home or work, the cloud deletes it too. A script does not delete ANY files... EVER, it only overwrites files with the SAME name if changed and files with NEW names and content.

At any rate, the script modification is not beyond most peoples' ability to locate their data, read and use MS notepad and save a file. MANY people are using it, not only in jobs I left but in online forums I am on and most learned to use it proficiently with no previous scripting knowledge.

The script has a help file with suggestions on how to organize your hard drive and modify and use the script.

To answer some previous comments...

Drag and drop CAN be used, that is IF it's used which in my experience it often is not. It WILL be S-L-O-W as it overwrites everything (which is as it SHOULD be) to keep files up to date. Also drag and drop does not tell you when your last backup took place.

I feel like there is going to be an incredibly small percentage of people that have familiarity with DOS scripting/batch files and also have inadequate backups, AND are concerned about it. It's kind of like asking how many master mechanics don't change, or have their oil changed in their own vehicles.

You are right, and there is copy backup software on the web, most if not all come written in compiled code, which as a former programmer I do not trust in my machines. My script is almost idiotically simple to understand but frighteningly complicated for someone not really familiar with scripting to gen up from scratch, as it has a number of error checking processes and being menu driven it's impossible to screw up.

Additionally if anyone cared to read the whole thing, they would get a VERY good understanding on how it works in its entirety. There's no secret code, no out links, no access to anything the user did not strong type themselves.

Only THREE things need to be known:

1. Where your stuff is
2. Where you want it to go.

Both easily found out using the file explorer (not Windows Internet explorer)

3. How to use a simple text editor like notepad.

I do not think that's too difficult. If it is, then so is the TV remote.

In the below help example taken from this operational script, it's fairly straightforward and definitely not rocket science.
It basically says (from the help file) ...

copy from-source:to destination and switches (shown empty here) you do not modify

xcopy c:\my_stuff h:\my_stuff\ / / / / /

Use it or not. I've NEVER, EVER lost a single byte of data, and so you know, I was on the original development teams at IBM on the PC so it goes back a VERY L-O-N-G way on too many industrial, commercial, school and personal machines to put a number on.

If anyone is interested, PM me for the text file.
Regards,

Gary (in South Florida)

User avatar
gnappi
Posts: 589
Joined: 08 May 2017, 21:42
Location: Southeast Florida (Tri county)

Backup Win / Dos script

Post by gnappi » 26 Mar 2019, 22:35

LDUBS wrote:
gnappi wrote:

But in your case I'd STRONGLY recommend that you organize your personal files in one location / folder and drag said folder regularly to an external drive for safekeeping.
I was at Costco the other day with Mrs Ldubs. Saw this and confirmed it is compatible with my version of OS. I think my storage size needs are relatively small compared to most. Would something like this be a good candidate for an external drive?

I feel like a dinosaur when it comes to this stuff. Thanks again for sharing and helping.

Larry

Edit -- forgot the pic (oops!)
IMG_2398.jpg
5 TB??? F-I-V-E???

Maybe I can put that in perspective...

I'd consider myself more than a somewhat advanced user of PC's. I have family pics, movies, code written from past jobs, a decent collection of my ripped CD's, a number of mpeg files and have used only 106 gigabytes, barely over 12% of my one TB (931 gigs usable after formatting and O/S overhead) I'd say 5 TB will cover you and likely the storage of EVERY porn site on the planet in their entirety also :-)
Last edited by gnappi on 27 Mar 2019, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Gary (in South Florida)

User avatar
LDUBS
Posts: 2122
Joined: 14 Aug 2016, 22:25
Location: Clayton California

Backup Win / Dos script

Post by LDUBS » 27 Mar 2019, 00:55

Well, this sure sounds like overkill for what I need. It looks like I can get an equivalent 1 TB external drive for half the price of this one.

El_Cheapo -- according to the Seagate description, the backup software is included.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Have Rod - Will Fish

el_cheapo
Posts: 56
Joined: 11 Apr 2016, 15:24
Location: Western mo

Backup Win / Dos script

Post by el_cheapo » 27 Mar 2019, 14:56

gnappi wrote:
LDUBS wrote:
gnappi wrote:

But in your case I'd STRONGLY recommend that you organize your personal files in one location / folder and drag said folder regularly to an external drive for safekeeping.
I was at Costco the other day with Mrs Ldubs. Saw this and confirmed it is compatible with my version of OS. I think my storage size needs are relatively small compared to most. Would something like this be a good candidate for an external drive?

I feel like a dinosaur when it comes to this stuff. Thanks again for sharing and helping.

Larry

Edit -- forgot the pic (oops!)
IMG_2398.jpg
5 TB??? F-I-V-E???

Maybe I can put that in perspective...

I'd consider myself more than a somewhat advanced user of PC's. I have family pics, movies, code written from past jobs, a decent collection of my ripped CD's, a number of mpeg files and have used only 106 gigabytes, barely over 12% of my one TB (931 gigs usable after formatting and O/S overhead) I'd say 5 TB will cover you and likely the storage of EVERY porn site on the planet in their entirety also :-)

I think you're severely underestimating the amount of porn, and size of high quality video that's in existence. 4k video (becoming more popular in all types of recordings) takes 360 GB an hour. that's 13.8 hours per 5 tb. My collection of movies (nothing explicit) audiobooks, Console ROMS and PC games is taking up 12 TB and I'm looking into more drives.

Don't get me wrong 5 tb is probably overkill for the guy we're trying to help but 5tb is not that crazy nowadays. There's a reason it's for sale at a retail store. There was a time when people were getting 10 MB hard drives and thinking geez how will i EVER fill this. 10 MB sounds laughable now.

Post Reply