new (to me) computer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earl60446

Reaction score
Just upgraded my pc from a pentium 4 running xp to a intel core 2 duo running win 7. Pretty sweet
so far, seems to fly, I bought the PC used off ebay for $192. Xp is not supported anymore so thats why I decided to bite the bullet and go ahead with the purchase. Just buying win7 OS was $120 so I might as well just get the new pc already loaded with it.
Now I gotta wipe out my old pc and try to sell it. Anyone upgrading from an xp machine?
Tim

I built a custom computer a year and a half ago. I went with Windows 7 instead of Windows 8 because I wanted the bugs worked out of Windows 8 first. Windows 8 seems to be a very buggy system to me right now. It will have to do better before I switch from 7. I like Windows 7 so far. I have had no problems with it. Windows XP had a very long run compared to other operating systems that have come and gone.

You will not find much if any of a market for your old XP computer. My suggestion is to get everything off of it that you want to keep and then install Lubuntu 14.04 LTS. You will find that it is an excellent operating system for older computers and is very secure at that.

iowa_wildcat said:
You will not find much if any of a market for your old XP computer. My suggestion is to get everything off of it that you want to keep and then install Lubuntu 14.04 LTS. You will find that it is an excellent operating system for older computers and is very secure at that.

+100 Wild_cat. I switched to Ubuntu(Linux) 2-3 years ago and have never looked back. Microsoft has seen the last penny from me(that I know of). My wife always has trouble with her win7. Not so with Linux.
Ubuntu can be downloaded and run from a cd/dvd. Or added to a windoz machine(you get a choice of which one you want to use at startup), or wipe out windoz altogether and load Ubuntu(as I did). And it's FREE, FREE, FREE! I liked it so much I sent them the $16 "recomended" donation. You don't have to do that. You get a full OS anyway.
I would strongly recommend trying some flavor of Linux to anyone with an extra machine lying around. Far fewer updates, virtually no security issues, and I can do anything I did with windoz.....much faster.
Now, I DID have a problem with Adobe flashplayer a few months ago. Adobe abandonded Linux users. But I think I got a fix through a Linux update as everything works fine now, and I'm pretty sure Adobe wouldn't help us out.

Ggoldy, just a probably really dumb question. I have an older xp lap top. I replaced it because it was slow and I thought it had a virus...besides, it was "time"..!!

Exactly how can I get a copy of Ubuntu ? Can I get a disc someplace and just pop it in? Thanks, richg99

Rich, you can make your own dvd copy of ubuntu on your new machine from this site
https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
You will need to know if your old machine is 32 or 64 bit, then, at the bottom left of the page is the link to download without paying.
It would be smart to read up a bit on Linux and Ubuntu first. There are other flavors of Linux that may appeal to you more. Also, I would wait for Wild_cat to respond again. I think he's a techie and I'm sure he knows more than me. I'm just an old, very, very satisfied Ubuntu user, thumbing my nose at microsoft :p

crazymanme2 said:
Anybody know where I can get a hard copy of Windows 7?Building a computer & don't want to download 7.
Crazy, I honestly don't know how to make a copy of windows and I'm sure microsoft would take exception to that. I'm also sure they would be very happy to sell you one. :(

Crazy, I honestly don't know how to make a copy of windows and I'm sure microsoft would take exception to that. I'm also sure they would be very happy to sell you one.

Don't mind buying one ,its finding a hard copy that's tuff.

Are there any PC mfr's still offering Windows 7 or do you have buy a pc with "8" now and then install 7??

TN, here's a quick search for Win 7.
https://www.google.com/search?q=win+7&ie=UTF-8&sa=Search&channel=fe&client=browser-ubuntu&hl=en&gws_rd=ssl#channel=fe&hl=en&q=windows+7
I remember trying to 'downgrade' a computer years ago because I didn't like the newer version of windows I had but, I wasn't able to do it. I knew even less then than I know now. There should be a way.

crazymanme2 said:
Crazy, I honestly don't know how to make a copy of windows and I'm sure microsoft would take exception to that. I'm also sure they would be very happy to sell you one.

Don't mind buying one ,its finding a hard copy that's tuff.
Microsoft would only take exception if you were trying to install or d/l a hacked version. Microsoft has the img files for d/l on their site somewhere. I've seen them on their website. Only way I know of now is to download the disk .iso file and then burn a disk with that, but that method requires that you already have a good product key. You might find some store that has some unsold stock but it's not real likely IMO.

Latest posts