Altimeter/GPS app

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobberboy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I got an altimeter/GPS speedo app for my iPhone last week and got a chance to test it out in the Colorado Rockies. I compared the
GPS speedo to the car and it was basically right on. The altimeter was very close to the posted altitude at several places I stopped and exact to the foot at the Alpine Visitors Center at Rocky Mountain National Park at elevation 11,796 feet. The only thing that didn't seem to work was me - I got altitude sickness - headache and nausea when I was above 10K'. Lots of snow in the mountains still at about 11K' and above. I got to see a lot of damage from last fall's floods in the Boulder/Estes Park areas and beyond. It was very extensive and many roads are temporarily repaired or still closed. I also got to see some of the damage caused by the mountain pine beetle. Very large areas of pine forest have been devastated by this tiny insect.

Now I can see how fast my boat is. The app is called Altimeter and Speedometer ver 1.0.3 by Thibault Vilon. I think the price was $0.99.

Very cool pictures. I love "The Rockies". The highest I have ever been standing on the ground was at Mt. Evans in Colorado at 14264 feet at the time in the mid eighties. She is one of the "Fourteeners". The air was thin. Myself, being from sea level I was really having to huff and puff to get oxygen. It does make you lightheaded but it was worth it. The car I had rented in Denver was not able to make it to the top due to the thin air. It was carbureted so the mixture was not automatically adjusted as on today's vehicles. I had to walk the rest of the way. It was an experience I will never forget. I get people telling me there are mountains on the east coast all the time in which I reply "They are only bumps in the road compared to the Rockies".

Latest posts