Finding out who owns a piece of land?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baseball_guy_99

Reaction score
Right down the road from my fiance's place, there is a small patch of woods. Probably less than 10 acres. It's bordered on 3 sides by houses, roads, and businesses.

Long story short, I always see deer and turkey around and in these woods. Last night on my way home from work, I saw a giant buck on the side of the road.

I would like to find out who owns this land to ask permission to bow hunt there. Any ideas on what I can do (other than going to the houses and knocking on the doors :). I would like to have a little background before I do that)

Attachments

• land.jpg
    land.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 704
muskiemike12 said:
Head on over to your county's courthouse and ask to look at the plat book. Usually any parcel over 5 acres will have the owner listed.
X2---was just answering with same. recorder of deeds office should have this info.

Here in Mass each town has its own Assessor. The Assessor has the town property plans and owners information, it's all public knowledge.

check to see if your county has a website. Mine does, and there are no big cities by any means. On the site you can look up tax records by address. Enter the address, and it will take you to a page that has not only the taxes paid on the property, but the owners contact information.

LonLB said:
check to see if your county has a website. Mine does, and there are no big cities by any means. On the site you can look up tax records by address. Enter the address, and it will take you to a page that has not only the taxes paid on the property, but the owners contact information.

Most of WI is like this too. Either lookup real estate tax bills or county GIS information. Either has the ower and their mailing address on them.

in this area you can buy county maps with landowners listed with contact info. some sporting good stores carry them or can get them from township. they get mailed to every rural resident.

one can buy whole list. maybe something like this is available in your area.
https://www.countywidedirectories.com/

Well I found out bad news. After talking to a few people that live around there...it's owned by Southern Illinois university of Edwardsville. So no hunting there for me!