Frogs

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncfishin

Reaction score
Anybody love getting bullfrogs? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYLnjeTRjxg
I've never personally used a gun to get em.
I have fond memories of walking around farm ponds, and gigging them with my uncles.
Sometimes had to wade a little to get to the big ones.
Never got bit by a snake, but seen plenty.

Moving this to the hunting section.

Add this to one thing I want to do. The video would of been way better if they showed a plate of ready to eat legs. :LOL2:

I have some good memories of giggin'. My dad and I went to a pond out on some family farm land that hadn't been interfered with by a human for some where around 15 years and I'll never forget that night. Only a small percentage of the snakes we killed were moccasins, but the frogs were big boys.

Haven't gone for them in a long time! What we used to do was use a fishing pole, tie something red on the hook, then dangle it in front of them, seems they couldn't resist grabbing it!

We had a ditch running alongside our place and the walnut orchard next door then cutting across the middle of our pasture. It was frog central. I think it was more about my brother and me sneaking around in the dark than actually catching a frog. Never used a gun like that guy on the video.

The legs sure do twitch and jump while they're cooking in the skillet. Please tell me someone else knows what I'm talking about :lol:

Bateman said:
The legs sure do twitch and jump while they're cooking in the skillet. Please tell me someone else knows what I'm talking about :lol:

i do. we used to go gigging all the time when i was in high school. havent beet in years though

lovedr79 said:
Bateman said:

i do. we used to go gigging all the time when i was in high school. havent beet in years though

Makes me feel better haha.

A friend and I have talked about it and I think we will give it a go soon. I just finished up my bull barrel 10/22 for the moccasins and have scoped out a few areas that look promising.

I've eaten a lot of different stuff, but I've never had the "pleasure" of eating frog legs. Raw octopus - not a problem. Frog legs, snake or eel, chicken feet, or fish eyeballs - No thanks. I would even have okra before I would try those. LOL

Man they are delicious! And I don't mean a weird or over powering game taste. Just tender, white meat. It is almost as good as rattlesnake! :p

And I gotta tell you just like I tell my girlfriend, "You gotta try my grandma's okra if you're gonna talk like that." :lol:

When I was young it was during that era when you had to eat everything on your plate or not leave the table. Okra nights were tough. If my brother or I made too big of a fuss about not liking something, there would be a payback, and it would be clever and happen when you least expect it. I complained about pimento loaf a little too much once. Got pimento loaf in my stocking on Christmas morning. LOL.

Funny, My mom used to make us eat a little bit of everything. I wasn't very fussy, but there were a few things I don't care for. One of them is beets. As a kid, Mom always made me eat one, "She used to say you have to make sure you don't like them. I would eat one slice, make a face, and that would be that. The rest of my family loves beets, so Mom makes them a lot. To this day, if I am at Moms, and she makes beets, I take one. I know I don't like them, and she hasn't made me take one in years, but I still take one and force myself to eat it. I guess I am just checking to make sure I still don't like them...

We did catch frogs and make frogs legs at my parents cottage. We would go out in the canoe after dark, and spot them with a flashlight and shoot them with a old crappy pellet gun.

LDUBS said:
When I was young it was during that era when you had to eat everything on your plate or not leave the table. Okra nights were tough. If my brother or I made too big of a fuss about not liking something, there would be a payback, and it would be clever and happen when you least expect it. I complained about pimento loaf a little too much once. Got pimento loaf in my stocking on Christmas morning. LOL.

man i love some okra. i just planted a bunch. i usually end up eating most of it raw in the garden. i like baking okra, little bit of olive oil, dust with your favorite seasoning. comes out great.

I found a spot today, walking on a tax paid paved trail. I quickly found myself wanting to come back in August at night. Me, waders, a light, and a gig. There is a creek running along the trail that is slam full. The trail is a tiny nature preserve, fresh with new deer tracks, in the middle of urbania. The whole trail is like 6 miles long, and used for walking and exercising. I just couldn't help myself for planning a covert summertime frog mission.

Latest posts