HomeMade Wine

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reedjj

Reaction score
I found this video on youtube on how to easily make homemade wine a few weeks ago. 1 week ago I stopped by the Grocery store and bought a few bottles of juice to give it a try.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmuH8xWOJv4

1 bottle of apple juice.
1 bottle of grape juice.
1 bottle of CranRaspberry Juice.

I did exactly what the guy in the video did with his with those 3.

Also picked up a can of apricots in heavy syrup and a gallon of water to attempt to make some apricot wine. I drank enough of the water out of the gallon jug to make room for he can of apricots, the heavy syrup plus 1 1/2 cups of sugar, and the yeast.

I also picked up a really cool glass jug of apple juice and sliced up 1 apple and stuffed it in the jug along with 1 cup of sugar and a packet of yeast.

I checked on it yesterday and it is fermenting nicely. I closed the lids tight and shook them up and they built up some pretty good pressure that I had to bleed off slowly so as not to make a mess in my wifes kitchen. Once they were shaken good to get the sugar and yeast moving around and I bled off the pressure I loosened the lids and placed them back in the closet till next week. Next week I will do the same thing and see if its still fermenting. If its done I will filter it through coffee filters and then put it in quart mason jars to sit for about a month or so before getting completely plowed. LOL

I will update next week.

I did this about a year ago with great results. The cranbearry however took something like 2 months to quit bubbling, it was a bit bland, but man would it sneak up on you. before you knew it you'd find yourself just sitting there staring off into nowhere. lol.

3 weeks have passed since I put everything in a cool dark place to ferment. Every week on Sunday i tightened the caps and gave them a good shake. They sure did build some pressure in the bottles when I shook them too. I guess the fermentation process also carbonates cause on the first bottle it fizzed up all over the kitchen (the wife was out LOL). I was little more carefull on all the other bottles.

Last weekend I filtered all the debris out of the wine by running it through coffee filters and into some quart mason jars. Even then their was a lot of sediment in the jars the following day so I carefully filtered it a second time being carefull not to stir up the stuff that sank to the bottom.

Its for sure I have made alcohol! You can smell it as soon as you crack the top of the jars.

I tasted it last weekend after I filtered it and it tasts pretty strong (stronger than normal store bought wine). It is also pretty bitter. From What the guy on the video says, thats normal. In about 4 weeks it should be just right. I am going to let it sit for another 3 weeks before I try it again. I will post about the results around June 8th or 9th after it has had a chance to
"come to itself"!

try using a siphon tube to move the wine from the fermenting buckets, it works great. I make beer with my brothers and we use a siphon when moving from primary ferment-->secondary ferment-->bottling bucket. The beer comes out nice and clear after the secondary

Great post! I stated a bottle of white grape juice yesterday. Im thinking about buying some blackberries or plums also. Thanks for the directions on how to make it.

dr_beerman said:
try using a siphon tube to move the wine from the fermenting buckets, it works great. I make beer with my brothers and we use a siphon when moving from primary ferment-->secondary ferment-->bottling bucket. The beer comes out nice and clear after the secondary

beerman, you should put up a post on beer brewing. I always wanted to try that as well.

taterosu said:
Great post! I stated a bottle of white grape juice yesterday. Im thinking about buying some blackberries or plums also. Thanks for the directions on how to make it.

Be carefull with the white grape juice. the guy in the video talks about it having Maltodextrin in it. I don't know what that is but he says that it caused it to taste bitter.

The siphon tube is a great idea. I thought of it when I was trying to get the clear wine out of the bottle without stirring up the stuff that settled to the bottom. I was already in the middle of it and didn't have a tube though so I just continued on. Next time I will use a siphon tube.

It might turn out fine. I don't think this is exact science. LOL.

When I was in Iraq some of the cooks made wine out of koolaid and yeast this way. Tasted like crap but some of the guys drank it anyway. hahaha Jarheads!

Latest posts