Beef short ribs

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonLB

Reaction score
Anyone with experience preparing these?

When the wife and I bought beef last time, we decided to order some of the short ribs. I see them prepared on shows like Top Chef, and whatnot. I have no experience preparing them myself, and to search on google brings up to many options.

I like to rub them with a little salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder and let them sit for an hour so. I then lightly coat them in flour and brown then in a very hot skillet with olive oil. Once browned on all sides, remove from skillet and place in slow cooker with a combo of beer, beef stock, and just a little barbeque sauce (I like something with a little HEAT). Cook low and slow for a few hours. You will be able to tell when there done the meat will want to fall off the bone.

fool4fish1226 said:
I like to rub them with a little salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder and let them sit for an hour so. I then lightly coat them in flour and brown then in a very hot skillet with olive oil. Once browned on all sides, remove from skillet and place in slow cooker with a combo of beer, beef stock, and just a little barbeque sauce (I like something with a little HEAT). Cook low and slow for a few hours. You will be able to tell when there done the meat will want to fall off the bone.

Sounds good. Might try that one. Sounds easy enough too.

Well one of the lessons learned.

Slower is better I'm sure.
I got these in the oven because I waited so long. Then, honestly waited to long for that. I tried to rush them, by having the oven too warm.

I think I should have gone slower, and just had them the next day. Because they were much better the next day.
Any braising I do in the future will be a full day ahead. Flavors get much better after sitting for a day.

I stay away from beef ribs because they tend to be tough, but if I were going to cook them, I'd do it on a wood smoker, like a brisket, at 300 degrees for about 10 hours and then see what they needed. However you do it, they have to cook a long time on a low heat or it's like trying to eat an old boot.

My wife puts these in a crockpot while we are at work the entire day. When we get home she puts BBQ sauce on them and puts in oven for a whole to char a bit. Meat falls off the bone.

I know I am late to the party...but I made these Guinness Short Ribs last winter and they turned out great!!

here is a link to the recipe

https://www.thehungrymouse.com/2009/01/20/rib-of-the-week-guinness-braised-short-ribs-plus-a-quick-primer-on-braising/

Crock pot for sure. I don't add the barbecue while in the crock pot so that I can have I can also have it plain. Just through them in the crock pot after browning with whatever seasoning and it will be a win. Then I like to add it to baked potatoes and salads. Then the next day I'll add barbecue and throw it on sandwich or it by itself.

The beef short ribs we can get here at Sams, are Flanken style, Korean style, LA style or something like that. like the pic here https://www.google.com/imgres?sa=X&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&rlz=1I7GPEA_en&tbm=isch&tbnid=52suyS563GU6vM:&imgrefurl=https://www.foodpostink.com/kitchen-notes/beef-short-ribs-for-sokalbi-gui-korean-cooking-class/&docid=BQyeSsa2QJMcYM&imgurl=https://www.foodpostink.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/DSC_1834_2-1024x644.jpg&w=1024&h=644&ei=-Z5AUpeBBZLi8gSymYCgAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=511&vpy=148&dur=79&hovh=178&hovw=283&tx=146&ty=110&page=3&tbnh=145&tbnw=229&start=34&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:51,s:0,i:247&biw=1401&bih=444 For some reason, the pack usually comes with some thin maybe 1/8" - 1/4" cut and a few thicker 3/8" - 1/2" cut (never measured them) and the thiner ones are much better.

If you can get this kind, I highly recommend it. As a matter of fact, if you see them in the store and don't buy them, may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your arm pits. They are pricey, but mouth watering good. We used to get a big pack and make two meals out of it. Now we cook them all at once in hopes to have leftovers for lunch the next day but they usually get scarfed down pretty quick. I like to season them the night before. They only take a few minutles on each side on the grill. Because of this short cook time, I usually use the gas grill (I know I know)

This is what I season them with https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/bolner-fiesta-4-5-oz-rib-rub/pid-540501?N=372370501&Ntt=rib+rub&Ntk=All It is the only way I cook them and it is the only thing I put this season on. My brother introduced it to me on some spare ribs he cooked. I usually make my own rubs, but it is so good on them short ribs I refuse to try anything different.

I wish I could cook them for the world. It would solve all problems...on second though, I don't want to cook that much.

I guess I will be the odd man out again. :) I cook them all the same way. Ribs don't know the difference between a crock pot and a slow oven (250-275). The secret is to have the container tightly covered. This can be be a glass lid on the dish or tightly fitted foil.

I use salt, fresh ground pepper, a hint of garlic and a liberal dose of Spanish Paprika for color. Then I cook them till the bone is loose. Tougher rib sections might get a liberal dose of Accent in lieu of the salt.

If you want add a sauce, the vinegar-sugar tomato mix of Kraft original cut 75% with water is great for tenderizing. Those choosing to do so can add Sweet Baby Rays at the table.

Latest posts