BBQ Sauce - Anyone make their own?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd follow the ingredients off your favorite and substitute honey for the hfcs. Honey usually works with BBQ anyway.

Jim, give this one a try, I got it from a guy that smokes pigs for parties. It is simple but real tasty.

2 cups ketchup
1 cup brown sugar
1 med onion - sauteed
1 Tbls onion powder
1 Tbls garlic powder
1 tsp liquid smoke

Make sure to sautee the onions - makes a big difference in taste than if you just throw in raw.

Mix all together and cook/simmer for at least an hour, longer for flavors to mix - ad more ingredients to taste.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=337924#p337924 said:
Jim » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:46 pm[/url]"]Thanks! Seems simple enough.

it is. and you'll be surprised how good it tastes compared to the ones that have vinegar, syrup. mustard and other ingredients that conflict with one another, e.g. sweet and sour stuff that conflict??? Just make sure you sautee the onions, that's the key :)

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=338065#p338065 said:
Paul Marx » Today, 11:01[/url]"]B.B.Q sauce is used to hide the fact a person can't cook . [-X

+1

I tell my friends that any time I serve them meat that's heavily sauced, it's because the cook went poorly.

That said, what type of sauce are you looking for Jim? Having screwed up a lot of cooks in the process of learning how to get good at BBQ, I've learned how to make a lot of sauces. I would certainly be willing to share recipes as long as they don't get reproduced and published elsewhere without my permission.
Here's a list of the following sauces I make:
-KC Style (Sweet, but balanced unlike Masterpiece)
-SC Mustard (mustard based & lots of vinegar)
-Tarheel Pepper (vinegar based, the most popular among my friends & family)
-Pig Glaze (guess what? It goes on pigs! sometimes on chicken though)
-King Clone (King's BBQ is a famous place near Richmond, this is a work in progress to match their sauce)

If you want to skip sauces all together, which I prefer, I can give you some brine and injection recipes instead. I used to be opposed to injecting meat, but now that I've done it, I won't not do it, especially on a nice brisket. It's the best way to get the flavor you'd put in sauce into your meat and it allows you to keep the meat more moist and allows for more subtle flavors.

Im insulted! :LOL2:

I love BBQ sauce. I like a little on my pulled pork, even on my chicken wings. Heck, my kids don't eat any meat unless they can dip it in something…..ketchup, dipping sauce, BBQ sauce.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=337919#p337919 said:
FishingCop » 04 Jan 2014, 13:28[/url]"]Make sure to sautee the onions - makes a big difference in taste than if you just throw in raw.
+1 and would like to add that you should also sautee things like chile powder, garlic powder, etc. for just a min or two. What I like to do is sautee finely chopped onions until soft (if I use onions) add fresh minced garlic for 1 min. and then add the chile powder and stuff like that for just a min. Use just enough oil to wet the dry indredients. Mine usually looks like a paste. Be careful not to burn it though. Then add all of the wet ingredients. It helps to have all of your wet ingredients combined in 1 bowl, and all of your dry in another.

Latest posts