Help with Venison Roast

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigwave

Reaction score
Who has a good recipe for a 3lb roast? One of my customers gave me a couple of small venison roast approximately 3lbs each. I want to slow cook on our new pellet grill here at the shop. Can I slow cook on the grill or do I need to cook at high temp. I am open to any suggestions. Please help.

Thank you

Kevin

The best advice I can give is to not grill venison.

For roasts, I like the crock pot or a dutch oven. Put the roast in there with the holy trinity (potatoes, onions, carrots), add some beef broth, salt and pepper, cook and enjoy.

All most all game meat is very lean . If you do it on the smoker go low and slow are it will be tough. Also don't over cook it , medium rare (160 internal ) will give the best flavor. It might even help to brine it first . Check out brining101.com

Thanks for the advise, I was not sure about the low and slow anyways. I have the ability to cook up to 500 degrees on this grill. How bout higher temp with the meat and vegies with the beef broth tightly covered on the grill? I really want to try it on the grill. I would normally put in the oven at 325 and let her rip, just as you would with a chuck roast. I will most likely brine before cooking. Any other methods ya'll might recommend.

I have asked meathead from the Amazingribs.com to help me, If you have not visited that site I would highly recommend. I have tried a few recipes with great success from that site. I am still stumped on how to cook these roasts. I might just make jerky out of one and try one on the grill.

In my experience, the best deer roasts come from crockpots.

If I was going to try the smoker here's what I would do: Inject with beef broth and some black pepper, kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder. I'm talking about pump it, jack! Rub with oil and rub it with the same spices. Smoke it 220-225 for no more than 2 hours. Take off and put in aluminum pan. Add some soup mix, broth and veggies....wrap it air tight...put back on and let cook 225 until it's falling apart. Shred chunky style and mix with soup/vegs in the pan.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=338877#p338877 said:
bigwave » 17 Jan 2014, 08:28[/url]"]I have asked meathead from the Amazingribs.com to help me, If you have not visited that site I would highly recommend. I have tried a few recipes with great success from that site. I am still stumped on how to cook these roasts. I might just make jerky out of one and try one on the grill.

Keep in mind that venison is not a marbled meat like beef, so there is little fat in the roast. That's why most folks have suggested slow, moist cooking, or injecting the meat, or using a contained heat with soups or such to have as much fluid in the muscle when you are cooking it.

Since it is a new meat to you, perhaps you might try slicing off a small steak, and cooking that in what ever method you are imagining for the the whole roast. Cook it on the rare side and see.

Some alternatives to pressurizing the cooking process so that moisture is pushed in, might include slicing the roast and pushing in some bacon strips, or even using a cooking bag--like with a turkey--and basically baking the meat.

Best wishes.

Thank you everyone, this is what I have decided to do. This method is not mine, it is a customer that gave me the roast. We will pressure cook for 20 mins, remove and cool down. Then we will put a dry rub on the roast and return to the fridge overnight. On the second day we will pressure cook again for 20 mins and put on the smoker for a short time to infuse the smoke flavor. He swears by this method so I am going to try it. I plan to inject the second one and slow cook with vegies......hmmmmm which one will be better. I will let yall know Friday.

I know I'm a little late to the party on this one, but what part of the animal is this roast from? Different muscles have different fibrous tissue compositions and will cook differently - this is important to remember any time you make a roast on the smoker.

I have to say I agree with the folks saying to inject, but I'd lean more toward vegetable broth than beef for deer; I think that there's a kind of sweet element to the veggie broth that really knocks down the gaminess of the deer. For the seasonings, I think if you were to treat it the same as you would a beef roast or brisket, you'd be in the right ball park. Make sure that you coat the thing with canola oil before you apply the seasoning and let it rest overnight. During the smoking process, you definitely want to use a baste or mop of some sort so it's probably best to smoke something like this in a roaster pan, then just baste every 30 minutes or so - this will keep it from drying out and hopefully tenderize the meat. As for temps, you need to make sure it passes the USDA mark for 160* for safety's sake, then I'd pretty much monitor it to see when it's fork tender. I've found a wide disparity with wild game for when it becomes fork tender; for deer I've had it anywhere between 170-190 using a similar method and with other animals (elk or moose) it varies significantly as well depending on the animal. Since you're monitoring it as a fork tender piece, you'll know if the texture is getting tighter or looser as the cook progresses so as long as you're attentive, it won't turn into shoe leather. Also, always make sure you rest deer at least 45 minutes after you cook it, there's a process that happens as the meat rests that tenderizes it. The best way to rest it is to wrap it in tin foil, then wrap that in a towel and put that into a beer cooler.

Latest posts